i3 4360 + R9 280 for games

Go to solution Solved by themaniac,

both the gpu and cpu are great and there will be no bottlenecks at all

Hi all,

I was asked by my cousins who live out of town to build a gaming PC for them - (they're upgrading from something from 2006!) I bought a R9 280 (Price was right + the 3 free games.) and a i3 4360 since the games they mentioned they want to play include titles like StarCraft II, Diablo III, etc. The 4360 has a frequency of 3.7 GHz which I believe is the second-highest clocked i3 chip, behind the 4370. The system will be on Win 8.1 with 8 gigs of RAM.

I think the CPU and GPU ought to be a good pairing, but I thought I'd ask LTT if there would be, in any way, a bottleneck.

Thanks for reading.

No bottleneck whatsoever. The I3-4360 is very capable

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

both the gpu and cpu are great and there will be no bottlenecks at all

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com