Screen tearing is not so bad... (I am dead on the inside.)

DivisibleByZero

I have posted on /r/techsuport /r/pcmasterrace and teksyndicate forums, and still I have yet to come to a solution to my problem.

Full story, I have been having horrible screen tearing for months. It got really bad.

I eventually replace my gtx 660 with a gtx 970. The screen tearing is still there. It is not so bad on my main 144hz monitor Its just as bad on my 144hz monitor. Here is a recreation. http://puu.sh/coUnw/9b284321a6.png

Here is my system build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Aceage/saved/3ZvdnQ

144hz monitor is connected though DVI and the 60hz monitor is connected though HDMI

Please help.

Edit. I forge to mention that the screen tearing is very visible during video playback.

update: Removed graphics card and tried integrated graphics. Still tears. I have tried 4 different monitors, it still tears. There are tears flowing from my eyes (heh)

Turn on vsync.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do you get the same issue when you turn vsync on with the 144/60. Have you tried it with Vsync on and just one of the monitors plugged in?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Wow... more responses for Linustechtips in 30mins than from reddit in three days. Much impressed.

Vsync is forced globally. I have tried unplugging monitors, it does not seem to help.

if you have MSI afterburner you can set a FPS limit so that you dont go over you refresh rate because beyond the refresh rate you get tearing 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

if you have MSI afterburner you can set a FPS limit so that you dont go over you refresh rate because beyond the refresh rate you get tearing 

Video playback is locked at 24 fps. Screen tearing occurs in everything but games. 

The difference in monitor refresh rates may be causing a problem. In the Nvidia control panel go to "Adjust desktop size and position", at the bottom there is drop down menu for refresh rate. Try setting both monitors to 60Hz.

The difference in monitor refresh rates may be causing a problem. In the Nvidia control panel go to "Adjust desktop size and position", at the bottom there is drop down menu for refresh rate. Try setting both monitors to 60Hz.

I tried setting all monitors to 60hz. No luck.

I tried setting all monitors to 60hz. No luck.

Are the monitors at different resolutions?

Are the monitors at different resolutions?

Monitor A(on the far left) is 1680x1050 at 60hz, monitor B (Center) is 1920x1080 at 144hz and monitor C (far right) is 1600x900 at 60hz.

Both moniter A and C defult to 59hz, but I set them to 60hz.

I have unplugged all monitors except monitor B, and I still get tearing.

What program is it screen tearing? VLC WMP ect ect ect.

Highly doubt it but did you try different cables? maybe they are all corrupted.

In NVIDIA Control Panel turn Vsync on and set it to Adaptive.

Read more at: http://windows7themes.net/en-us/prevent-screen-tearing-in-windows-7-diablo-3-and-youtube-videos/ © windows7themes.net

If you have overclocked your video card, set it back to default restart computer and see if that's the issue. "Had it tear on me when I had my old ASUS 660ti overclocked, stopped after I returned it to stock clock speeds." If it's not overclocked good luck on finding out the issue sir. 

Am I the only one around here who really doesn't like pcpartpicker?
I also like Ubisoft and Origin/EA          
Guess I'm just odd that way.

HATER OF MAIL IN REBATES!

Wow that has to suck. It looks like you have tried almost everything. Worst case scenario would be that there is a problem with your motherboard. Otherwise, there would be some setting that has to be changed somewhere. Good luck op, sounds like hell.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

I see screen tearing for youtube videos sometimes, but that's due to how the video was encoded before upload. if its with local video files, then it sounds like your PC hates you.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

What program is it screen tearing? VLC WMP ect ect ect.

Highly doubt it but did you try different cables? maybe they are all corrupted.

In NVIDIA Control Panel turn Vsync on and set it to Adaptive.

Read more at: http://windows7themes.net/en-us/prevent-screen-tearing-in-windows-7-diablo-3-and-youtube-videos/ © windows7themes.net

It is in every video play back software I tryed. VLC, Youtube, even quicktime. I have tryed three difrent dvi cables, a HDMI cable, a DVI to HDMI, VGA, and display port. I tried forcing Vsync globally, adaptive and on, no luck. 

If you have overclocked your video card, set it back to default restart computer and see if that's the issue. "Had it tear on me when I had my old ASUS 660ti overclocked, stopped after I returned it to stock clock speeds." If it's not overclocked good luck on finding out the issue sir. 

I want to overclock my new GTX970 windforce, but I do not want to until I fix this screen tearing issue. So no, I do not have it over clocked. I still have tearing on the integrated graphics and on my old GTX 660.

Wow that has to suck. It looks like you have tried almost everything. Worst case scenario would be that there is a problem with your motherboard. Otherwise, there would be some setting that has to be changed somewhere. Good luck op, sounds like hell.

Its not hell, I am perfectly fine. (The anti-Linus is starting to speak to me. Help.)

I see screen tearing for youtube videos sometimes, but that's due to how the video was encoded before upload. if its with local video files, then it sounds like your PC hates you.

Its not just some times for me, its all the time. I have even tried videos I have recorded myself... But why would she hate be? I named her MisAwesome. I clean her often, upgrade her when she slows, I even turn up the AC when she gets hot... 

Tearing is not caused by going over the refresh rate, and capping fps will not remove tearing.

Tearing is caused any time your gpu isn't sending frames in sync with the monitor's refreshes. Essentially what a 'tear' is, is more than one frame being displayed at once. Tearing can happen at any framerate, and the only way to remove tearing, is by using vsync (which forces the gpu to wait for the monitor to refresh before sending frames), or more recently gsync/freesync, where instead of forcing the gpu to wait, the monitor can refresh dynamically.

Simply capping fps may make tearing less noticeable in some cases, but setting an fps cap doesn't do much to remove tearing.

Then its gotta be due to having a 60hz and 144hz duel screen setup. a possible work around is to enable iGPU multi-monitor in your Bios, and plug the 60hz monitor into your motherboard output.

I'm not saying this will work, but its something I would try myself.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Have you thought about getting a G-Sync Monitor? The Asus VG248QE is a pretty good monitor

Then its gotta be due to having a 60hz and 144hz duel screen setup. a possible work around is to enable iGPU multi-monitor in your Bios, and plug the 60hz monitor into your motherboard output.

I'm not saying this will work, but its something I would try myself.

I have tried just using one monitor. I still get tearing.

Have you thought about getting a G-Sync Monitor? The Asus VG248QE is a pretty good monitor

I have considered it. I am use to 27 inches, so I can no go back to 24. My issue with buying another monitor, is that my current monitors should be be tearing so much. I have tested them on other computers and they do not tear. Buying a gsync monitor may help, but I need to use at least who monitors, and I don't have they money to buy two 27in gsync monitors.

Try http://www.cccp-project.net/ and let me know if it helped

No difference. really cool software though.

Edit I am considering replacing my mother board. I'd really hate to spend $150 like that. Does any one think that will help?

Right click the desktop and choose personalise and make sure you are running an aero theme.

If that doesn't work, have you tried a custom clean install of the nvidia drivers?

Right click the desktop and choose personalise and make sure you are running an aero theme.

If that doesn't work, have you tried a custom clean install of the nvidia drivers?

I am running an Aero theme.

I have used DDU to wipe all of the drivers. I have even tried using my integrated graphics.

I don't think its a windows issue. I have tried booting to ubuntu. No luck.

I am running an Aero theme.

I have used DDU to wipe all of the drivers. I have even tried using my integrated graphics.

I don't think its a windows issue. I have tried booting to ubuntu. No luck.

In that case , get a hammer and have fun!