FPS Module in Star Citizen AMA

Lepp

For anyone who has yet to read the RSI comm-link or who has questions about the FPS portion of Star Citizen, there is a Reddit AMA by the REDACTED FPS team happening right now.

AMA: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2k7kuu/we_are_the_star_citizen_fps_team_ask_us_anything/

You could also use twitter or the RSI forums to ask any questions you might have.

Comm-link post: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14246-REDACTED-FPS-Team-RSI-Takeover

Edit: It should be noted that the FPS module will not be out until "early 2015."

looks like it wont be CoD/BF like, GOOD! maybe i can Sneak around like Snake <3

Definitely! They listed an example of such play.

"A Persistent Universe experience. I'm a stealthy, solo player. I find a wrecked ship, i know scavengers will be around soon. I find a crate and put myself in it. I let the scavengers take the crate and put me in their ship. When i'm on their ship, some time later, i get out of the crate. Very quietly, i rummage around and find some goodies i like. I steal those... now i can either - A) Jump out the airlock and call a ride or B ) go to their engine room and self destruct their ship or C) quietly hunt and execute the entire staff and take their ship.... or Z) they could have scanned the crate properly before loading it, blasted it with their ship and me with it...."

Edit: Had to change B because if I quoted them directly, B ) looks like B)

:,) I´ll hope David and Paul will return to the MG universe someday. Kiefer is just..so weird although i can deal with him as "Big Boss Snake"

Yep, I can't play it anymore because of his voice

I'd love this game to be like ARMA. Not to show any bias from my profile :) . 

<--------

I'd love this game to be like ARMA. Not to show any bias from my profile :) . 

<--------

One of the answers on the AMA is that the FPS module will be "A mixture of Counter-Strike, Rainbow Six, Arma, Delta Force, Kill Zone"

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

It seems like there's so many factors to be considered when boarding another ship. Apparently you gotta wait to drill into the ship, which will give time to the crew on board the boarded ship to ready up. I wonder how its gonna be like when you damage the gravity generator: do you just start floating around and shooting people? How do you navigate considering the realistic physics? Kick off walls? How is that controlled? 

Holy crap that was a lotta question. I think I can come up with moar. 

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

It seems like there's so many factors to be considered when boarding another ship. Apparently you gotta wait to drill into the ship, which will give time to the crew on board the boarded ship to ready up. I wonder how its gonna be like when you damage the gravity generator: do you just start floating around and shooting people? How do you navigate considering the realistic physics? Kick off walls? How is that controlled? 

kick of wall = spacebar = jump

there is a "jetpack" like thing

of its anything like Space Engineers but with a more wobbly touch then i know what ill be expecting.

"Absolutely, your limb damage will have severe impacts on how the mechanics work - and it is limb specific too, not just an overall of 'oh youre kind of hurt'. For example, if your left arm is hurt but you throw grenades with your right, your right throw won't really be impacted." -Redacted

This amazes me, but it is up to my expectations at the same time. Can't wait to shoot down all of somebody's limbs and then steal their stuff while they just watch miserably. 

Is Redacted their actual name or is it just confidential?

PC Specs: Case: NZXT Phantom 530; Motherboard: Maximus VI Formula; CPU: Intel Haswell I5 4670k; CPU Cooler: Intel Stock (for now); RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 2x4GB 1600 MHz; GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD; HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black; SSD: Samsung 840 EVO; PSU: Corsair AX 860; Monitor: Asus MX23H

Gravity boots, if not, jetpack/EVA.

Is Redacted their actual name or is it just confidential?

It's actually Illfonic that is developing it. It has been released by Chris himself sometime ago and in the new AtV.

(sorry, can't multi-quote on phone)

Well, they still won't talk about FOV. still pissed about it.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Well, they still won't talk about FOV. still pissed about it.

They did, though it seems like it won't change (EDIT: in the near future [sorry that that was unclear]).

"Generally if you are playing with a peripheral for flying you would just reach over to your mouse and keyboard when it comes time for FPS but you can certainly play fps with other peripherals, it just may not be the best input method available. The FOV is something dialed in for now but we'll explore options with it down the road. there are just many variables that come in to play with how the camera is set and how the hud is displayed that makes this tricky."

They did, though it seems like it won't change.

"Generally if you are playing with a peripheral for flying you would just reach over to your mouse and keyboard when it comes time for FPS but you can certainly play fps with other peripherals, it just may not be the best input method available. The FOV is something dialed in for now but we'll explore options with it down the road. there are just many variables that come in to play with how the camera is set and how the hud is displayed that makes this tricky."

they better fucking fix it, I can't play at under 90 degrees vertical FOV. I've sunk 220 USD into this game, and there are many others who feel the same way. nobody wants this piece of shit 55 degree FOV. if they used 90 as the set FOV, people would be unhappy with the lack of customizability, but at least I wouldn't get headaches and other people wouldn't get nauseous.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

they better fucking fix it, I can't play at under 90 degrees vertical FOV. I've sunk 220 USD into this game, and there are many others who feel the same way. nobody wants this piece of shit 55 degree FOV. if they used 90 as the set FOV, people would be unhappy with the lack of customizability, but at least I wouldn't get headaches and other people wouldn't get nauseous.

Tone down the salt, it's a work in progress. It will surely be available to change in the future, but not from the get-go. It's that simple.

Tone down the salt, it's a work in progress. It will surely be available to change in the future, but not from the get-go. It's that simple.

from what I've been hearing, it sounds like the WON'T be allowing you to change the FOV. here's hoping people community patch that in the final game.

but yeah, I had some vinegar in me when I posted that.

Daily Driver:

They will fix it. The only question is when. Don't worry.

I hope we just get a decent fixed FOV.

That seems likely, since they are trying to go for immersion and they don't want to give anyone an advantage over another player (like increased viewing range).