Downloading Overnight can harm your pc?

My pc is on almost 24/7 and it's never been a problem. You will be fine.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

the only time i turn mine off is when i change hardware. which is quite often :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Would be interesting to see the energy bills for those "who don't turn off their computers just because it saves them like 10 seconds for the computer to turn on"

Just re-Installed windows and re-downloaded my entire steam library (over 350gb) and it was fine. 

Edit: It took over 24hrs 

Temperatures would be only reason why something could happen. I have one laptop broken that way. But with desktops your highest temps come when gaming, rendering or mining. And you will see those max temps when doing such things. Or when doing stress tests. Highest temp during stress test is triple of what your idle is. And 15-30C over your normal max. So leaving PC running for just downloading is safe.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Generally you should be fine.

If you want to download some bigger file over night and don't want your computer to keep running after it's done you can do this:

Step 1:

Calculate how long your download will take with your average download speed.

Step 2:

Add some minutes as a buffer.

Step 3:

Use your console or a program to automatically shut down your computer when your download should be done.

At least that's what I've been doing.

Nothing will happen, but just be sure to defrag your HDD after downloading or else the computer will get slower

I used to defrag 192GB of data in my HDD and guess what? It took me nearly a day to do it

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Nope you are good.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I have a Dell Laptop which was ran overnight for the same reason to Download games but after about 2.5 years its HDD Failed. But I still don't care and keep on Downloading after replacing HDD. A Tablet would also be suitable for Download with a lot less power consumption if that matters.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

unless you care about monthly power bill too much, it's will be fine. mine is 24/7 now. as long as it get cooled properly, it will be totally fine. 

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i

Nothing will happen, but just be sure to defrag your HDD after downloading or else the computer will get slower

I used to defrag 192GB of data in my HDD and guess what? It took me nearly a day to do it

Only if the OS is on the HDD. If the OS is on an SSD, a fragmented HDD will just result in slower performance on that drive, but Windows perf will not be affected.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

PC's can be turned off...j/k...

Like the rest I have mine on 24/7, makes a nice little night light for the kiddies..lol..

My last build was on for 12 months straight, not to say it wasn't restarted but never shutdown.

Wife is using that pc now, but she lets it go to sleep...lol..

Generally you should be fine.

If you want to download some bigger file over night and don't want your computer to keep running after it's done you can do this:

Step 1:

Calculate how long your download will take with your average download speed.

Step 2:

Add some minutes as a buffer.

Step 3:

Use your console or a program to automatically shut down your computer when your download should be done.

At least that's what I've been doing.

Pretty much.

DaxtarsShutdownTimer.exe :)

Set Download/Upload

Judge the timeframe

Add 15m to estimated time.

Set to shutdown after however long those values are.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You want to give me $70?

If you can afford a bit of extra money added to your power bill from having your computer running 24/7 for 2 years then I'm sure you can afford a $70 SSD....

If it takes 10mins to boot Windows, even on a mechanical drive, your doing it wrong :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

If you can afford a bit of extra money added to your power bill from having your computer running 24/7 for 2 years then I'm sure you can afford a $70 SSD....

I haven't had my computer up since April, and power was cheap, like $0.06 a KWh. 2 years of my computer running wasn't a lot of money because it wasn't very powerful and most of the time it was in hibernate. So no, I don't have $70 for an SSD.

I haven't had my computer up since April, and power was cheap, like $0.06 a KWh. 2 years of my computer running wasn't a lot of money because it wasn't very powerful and most of the time it was in hibernate. So no, I don't have $70 for an SSD.

Welp, I think that falls into the category of "not my problem".

Welp, I think that falls into the category of "not my problem".

Then don't have a suggestion like that. :P

AlwaysFSX, on 28 Oct 2014 - 12:25 AM, said:

Then don't have a suggestion like that. :P

Fair enough

As long as everything is properly set up (and kitty doesn't go to sleep on the intake filter), you'll be fine - if it runs at acceptable temperatures when you're looking at it, it is highly unlikely to misbehave when you're not :)

has a kitty sat on your intake filter

CPU AMD FX-6300 Motherboard MSI 970A-G43 RAM G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) GPU PNY GTX 660 Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) Storage1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue PSU Corsair 500W Display(s)AOC and Viewsonic Cooling Enermax ETS-T40-TB Keyboard CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid with Blue Switches Dollar Store Mouse Sound Dollar Store Speaker