Mini-News: Windows 10 Build 9860 has MKV support built-in

GoodBytes

I really don't see anything replacing VLC... ever... VLC has grown so large that it has more support than literally any media player in existence.

For me this replaces VLC since I don't use VLC for Music and all ym files are MKV.

\

That's pretty cool. I hope that means we will get thumbnails of MKV files in Explorer as well.

MPC-HC will most likely still be far better than WMP but with this push we might see people slowly move over to MKV which is just flat out the best container out there.

That's pretty cool. I hope that means we will get thumbnails of MKV files in Explorer as well.

MPC-HC will most likely still be far better than WMP but with this push we might see people slowly move over to MKV which is just flat out the best container out there.

You can already get thumbnails of MKV's in Explorer with Icaros, if you didn't know already.

But I mean...yeah it does support MKV, but I doubt we're going to see Windows playback of h264 High10 or h265 anytime soon. MPC-HC 5 ever! 

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

You can already get thumbnails of MKV's in Explorer with Icaros, if you didn't know already.

But I mean...yeah it does support MKV, but I doubt we're going to see Windows playback of h264 High10 or h265 anytime soon. MPC-HC 5 ever! 

I am using "Media Preview" for Thumbnails in Windows but it would be nice to just have it supported out of the box. Especially WebM VP8 files. I'll update my Windows 10 preview and check out if it supports some more advanced features like MKV segment linking.

Edit:

It seems to work in some very specific scenarios. You do get this prompt whenever you try to play it but assuming you got just a regular MKV file with H.264 video and AAC audio without subtitles it will work fine.

post-216-0-46751800-1414241460.png

Thumbnails:

You now get thumbnails for 8bit videos in MKV containers just like you would on Windows 8, 7 and Vista for MP4 files.

There are no thumbnails for 10bit H.264, H.265 or WebM videos.

10bit video is not supported. You just get a black screen. You don't get any sound either with these files even if you use a format it should support (in this case AAC).

SSA/ASS subtitles are not supported. They simply do not appear. I am not sure if this is because there is some styling applied to mine or if it's just not supported at all. Might look deeper into it.

MKV segment linking is not supported. The file will flat out not play.

post-216-0-96267400-1414241281.png

HEVC (aka H.265) is not supported. You just get an error saying it can't play the file.

post-216-0-34234200-1414241400.png

WebM does not work either. No thumbnails and they don't play in WMP.

You know, Media Player 12 is not bad per se. It load video and music files instantly, and does a pretty darn good job.

And it's sufficient for most people. Sure you need to install a codec pack, but so what. DVD playback on Windows 7 is the best I experience, same as a DVD player. VLC doesn't do a great job, and PowerDVD is extremely bloated. I really miss DVD playback in Windows 8. Yes there is the Media Pack, I have it, but it uses Media Center, and that sucks. I mean it sucks that I need to load this big thing to play a DVD movie.

the real question is why do you still have DVDs? :D

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

the real question is why do you still have DVDs? :D

I have backup ISOs of them :)

I wish win 10 had a gaming mode...like  optimizing the system to run  games as fast as possible.

But what more can they do to make games run faster, apart from improving DX?

They run pretty well already, I don't think Windows is a barrier to performance, or we would here devs complaining about it.

dont think so VLC is just simple and works 

If my friend next door invents a new video codec tomorrow, VLC will probably play it by next week LOL.

I know what people mean when they say VLC just works... It's not perfect buy it's pretty close.

Anyway I have grown into the habit of using Windows Media Player for music, and VLC for videos. I like the crop feature in VLC.

You know, Media Player 12 is not bad per se. It load video and music files instantly, and does a pretty darn good job.

And it's sufficient for most people. Sure you need to install a codec pack, but so what. DVD playback on Windows 7 is the best I experience, same as a DVD player. VLC doesn't do a great job, and PowerDVD is extremely bloated. I really miss DVD playback in Windows 8. Yes there is the Media Pack, I have it, but it uses Media Center, and that sucks. I mean it sucks that I need to load this big thing to play a DVD movie.

I wish that BluRay playback could be integrated into the OS and WMP. But apparently it would have involved Microsoft having to pay license fees for every copy of Windows which obviously was not worth it...

I wish that BluRay playback could be integrated into the OS and WMP. But apparently it would have involved Microsoft having to pay license fees for every copy of Windows which obviously was not worth it...

I would not mind a media pack. like in Windows 8, but have teh codec not for Media Center only, but media player as well. I won't mind paying 50$ for it. 50 might sound high, but it's half price than PowerDVD Blu-ray codec, and you don't have the bloat, and all integrated to the OS.

I would not mind a media pack. like in Windows 8, but have teh codec not for Media Center only, but media player as well. I won't mind paying 50$ for it. 50 might sound high, but it's half price than PowerDVD Blu-ray codec, and you don't have the bloat, and all integrated to the OS.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't FFmpeg (and thus LAV Filter as well) support Bluray? Why pay anything for it?

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't FFmpeg (and thus LAV Filter as well) support Bluray? Why pay anything for it?

Never got it to work.

It's official!

Gabriel Aul, director of Windows program management, twitted yesterday, that Windows 10, will fully support, in-box, all types of apps: MKV support

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/528583869646131200

Congrats @neowinfeed for spotting MKV playback in Media Player in 9860. I can now make it official: Win10 supports MKV codec out of the box.

I'm going to be pedantic and point out that MKV is a container, not a codec.

The support is very, very basic right now as well but hopefully that will be fixed in future updates. Kind of annoying not even being able to use subtitles.

That's pretty awesome. The MKV format is becoming more and more popular, so it only makes sense for them to FINALLY support it natively.

COMIC SANS

I like a lot what Microsoft has been doing lately

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

i will tell you this not all mkv video files work. i still half to use windows media classic player. 

CPU:I7-4790K @ 4.8ghz MOTHERBOARD:MSI-Z97-G45 Ram:G-SKILL SNIPER 8GB 1866 GPU:Msi GTX 970 4G COOLER:PHANTEK PH TC14PE BK 3 FAN CONFIG PSU:Roswell Lightning 1300W HDD: 1TB WD, 2TB SEGATE Mushkin 120GB SSD CASE:COOLER MASTER HAF 922

i will tell you this not all mkv video files work. i still half to use windows media classic player.

We have to wait for the future builds. The builds that we have are several months old. We have a big delay in the build between what is at Microsoft and us.

PotPlayer+ MadVR master race.

Them peasants using MP and VLC, lel.

FINALLY!!!  it's refreshing to meet another PotPlayer master race.

Potplayer second to none.

sorry but using anything else than VLC or MPC to play video files doesn't make sense to me.

The true king of free media  players out there is the  one and only....Daum Pot Player.

actually Splash PRO is wayyyyyyyy better!

windows 10 LOL they hate Linux and they are making everything as it's in Linux!

Do you know windows 10 feature multi desktop? It's LINUX/UBUNTU feature!

Do you know about their powershell? It's idea is UBUNTU's TERMINAL! 

Windows fucking store? It's damn like UBUNTU software center!

I would like Windows if they had stability like linux distros (say UBUNTU), if it was open-source, if it was free of viruses and if it was free, so i will never like windows, and it will never be better then LINUX!

The day when we will have 2 main gaming platforms is coming...

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Well I mean the Xbox one has it, So I suppose it had to come at some point.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

windows 10 LOL they hate Linux and they are making everything as it's in Linux!

Steve Ballmer hated Linux. Satya Nadella says:

CEO-Satya-Nadella-Microsoft-Loves-Linux-

Do you know windows 10 feature multi desktop? It's LINUX/UBUNTU feature!

Actually. Multiple desktop was introduced back in Windows NT4 days. Before any Linux based OS, had it.

Microsoft created the APIs and the infrastructure for it. That is how you have many third party programs on Windows that offers this. Without these APIs, these program wont' exists, or not work properly by using work around tricks instead.

Do you know about their powershell? It's idea is UBUNTU's TERMINAL!

Actually, PowerShell is the command prompt with scripting language added to it. (uses .NET framework). It has nothing to do with Ubuntu Terminal.

PowerShell is also not new. It was released back in 2006, and got increasingly popular with IT.

Windows fucking store? It's damn like UBUNTU software center!

Sorry, but wrong again. It is like Apple App Store, introduced by the high demand by developers to make software on the iPhone. A wise move from Apple, that defined what the iPhone is.

I would like Windows if they had stability like linux distros (say UBUNTU), if it was open-source, if it was free of viruses and if it was free, so i will never like windows, and it will never be better then LINUX!

Sadly, 90%+ of computer (PC) users disagree with you. Windows is extremely stable OS that has been proven time and time again to be it. When a BSOD occurs, it is nearly always related to faulty hardware, or faulty driver, or the general unreliability of consumer grade hardware, which are rated to be only 95-97% reliable, depending on the brand and quality of hardware you get. To get 98-99% then you need to look at server/enterprise grade hardware. You know, the ones with ECC memory support, and error correcting circuits put everywhere, high end components used, and costly circuitry design used with fallback circuit (hence why they cost significantly more than consumer grade hardware).

Linux based OSs aren't free of viruses or malware. Android is a perfect example of this. You have anti-virus solutions available for the OS as well.

Recently, there was even a virus infecting home routers running on Linux based OS.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/11/new-linux-worm-targets-routers-cameras-internet-of-things-devices/

It all has to do with market share.

PotPlayer+ MadVR master race.

Them peasants using MP and VLC, lel.

vlcutsb4.jpg

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?