First video game you had/wanted to upgrade your computer for

Orblivion

Just as the title suggests, what video game forced your first ever PC upgrade?

For me it was Wing Commander 3, I had to beg my father to buy us one of those fancy new CD-ROMs!  Another one I remember from my childhood is installing my very first graphics card, a 3DFX Voodoo Banshee, in order to play Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

Counter-Strike: Global offensive.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I don't think I ever ran into this, I just always suffered through until the computer took a shit and then I built a new one, at least that was when I was a kid and had no money. 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

I don't think I ever ran into this, I just always suffered through until the computer took a shit and then I built a new one, at least that was when I was a kid and had no money. 

minus the no money part.

\

doom 3 I believe was the first game (that I can recall) that destroyed my gaming PC, and made me want to upgrade. Crysis was another. I was playing on 1680x1050 with an 8800GTX card, and Crysis tanked my machine.... was a real eye opening and wallet emptying experience after that.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

For me it was Wing Commander 3, I had to beg my father to buy us one of those fancy new CD-ROMs!  Another one I remember from my childhood is installing my very first graphics card, a 3DFX Voodoo Banshee, in order to play Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit.

Battlefield 4 I was playing the beta with my old pc and got like 15-20 fps average

World of Warcraft back when I was gaming on my old laptop in the good old days of Wrath of the Lich King.

Paragon [ Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz | 16GB @ 1866MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 | ASUS Z87-Pro | Zotac AMP GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair H100i GTX | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | 2 x Crucial M500 240GB SSDs | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 | Corsair Carbide 300R ] (Backup Storage: Seagate Expansion 5TB USB3.0 HDD)

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q }

Minecraft lol. I used to have a crappy old hp laptop. That's when i built my first PC about 5 years ago cause i was trying to host a server for my one friend and I to play on and it kept crashing with like 7 fps xD

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

Resident Evil 2 back in the late 90s.  I didn't have a gfx card at the time (just onboard gfx) which could not handle the flame effects at all and just wouldn't load it most of the time.

Resident Evil 2 back in the late 90s.  I didn't have a gfx card at the time (just onboard gfx) which could not handle the flame effects at all and just wouldn't load it most of the time.

im glad i didnt have to deal with any of that shit.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

None so far. My computers were always more or less good enough to handle games and by the time they weren't, I had already upgraded it long ago.

Right now, Shadow of Mordor seems interesting and I know I would barely be able to run it on low, but I'm not a fan of the LotR franchise so I gave up on that idea.

Who knows, maybe when the Oculus is released I might upgrade to play games with it... other than that...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Battlefield 4

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

Starcraft 2 forced me to buy a new GPU. CS 1.4 also forced me to get a new GPU as well, but that was so long ago that I don't remember it too well. I think I got by for a long time by turning down a few things and waited a bit, so I'm not sure counts.

Battlefield 4. I built an entire new rig for that game. Looking back now, it is almost like I wasted my money, as I barely play that game any more. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

It all started from Team Fortress 2, but from there it railed to loads of other games. That was back then one of the few reasons for me building my current rig, but now I would find it hard to sell this anymore, it's a part of my life.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

warcraft 3, i could playit  but i always wanted to be able to playit smooth in max settings, and Shadowbane made me buy new gpu back when ATI and AGP slots exist

I wanna say gta 4... But that runs like shit on anything.

CPU -  Intel i7 4770k 4.6Ghz     Motherboard - MSI GD-65    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB     GPU - XFX 295x2    Case - NZXT H440  

Storage - 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 ssd, 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm    PSU -  EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2  Cooling - Corsair H80i     Keyboard - KGParadise v60 w/ cherry mx greens

Mouse -Theron  Sound - HyperX Cloud

I don't know. probably would be Morrowind but back then I was so young that 10 FPS was smooth to me...
Still ended upgrading for oblivion later on the road.. old p4 could satisfy my RPG needs just fine then. right now it's nothing more than a beautiful memory.

Voodoo Banshee was my first decent graphics card. Before that I had a sheit PCI Pine 2.0MB non 3d, a 4MB ATi Rage 3D pro 3d, and then the Banshee. I got it for Quake II.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

A combination of Just Cause 2, and the new games (like Shadow of Mordor and Witcher 3) that are coming out. I can't afford a new gpu yet however.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I think the games that made me wanna upgrade most were Borderlands 1, MW3 and Red Orchestra 2. Those are the games I remember wanting to play so badly on PC but just couldn't handle them with my 9500GT. 

im glad i didnt have to deal with any of that shit.

Yeah gaming on PC in the 90s could be a bit hit or miss with gfx support.  I think I got a Voodoo Rush or Voodoo2 at the time and that did me till I got a new PC in about 2002