Canada, buy an unlocked phone vs take a 2 years contract

PhilBoisvert

Hey guys, I plan on changing phone this spring and some of my friends telles me to buy an unlocked phone instead of getting it via a two years contact. I wanted ti know what was the difference and if I was gonna save money.

I am the kind of guy that always call my companies to deal my plan and contract to have the best deal possible, will I be able to do that if if I buy an unlocked phone.

I am phablet kind if guy and right now the note 4 with cyanogenmod looks promising (I pu around 30-40 gb of music on my phone so 64 gb phone or one with microSDcard slot) I huess the price of the phnoe I buy is a factor if I plan on buying unlocked.

Currently have beatup note 2 and have been with Telus for 4 years.

Thanks guys!

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

Anyone?

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

Well how much is a phone on contract? What are the monthly rates?

How much can you get a phone for without a contract? What sort of off contract deals or rolling contracts are available?

Have you done any research? I don't live in Canada and  I am not going to do your research for you.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Well how much is a phone on contract? What are the monthly rates?

How much can you get a phone for without a contract? What sort of off contract deals or rolling contracts are available?

Have you done any research? I don't live in Canada and  I am not going to do your research for you.

I did not know that all these things were factor to be honest. I am really not a pro in that field.

@PhilBoisvert

Contract  Phone - Initial Cost + 24 x monthly bill = total cost

Unlocked Phone  - Initial cost  + 24 x average spend on credit = total cost (but gives you the ability to change at any time which may be worth something to you)

The contract phone initial cost should be very low (if not free) and you will then spend quite a bit on your monthly bill.

The unlocked phone will have a very high initial cost but you should be making savings with lower monthly credit costs. You will have to shop around a bit and make a decision for yourself.

Take me for example. I went with a unlocked phone and then chose a provider (Three) that was cheap monthly costs. €20 credit per month and I get unlimited texts to all networks, free Three to Three calls, free calls to all networks at weekends and unlimited data all for 30 days. So my bill works out roughly at €20/month and it suits my needs relatively well. The contract way is usually a lot less hassle.  For me it actually worked out about the same price but I wanted freedom so I payed the initial cost and went with cheaper monthly costs without a contractual obligation.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

@PhilBoisvert

Contract  Phone - Initial Cost + 24 x monthly bill = total cost

Unlocked Phone  - Initial cost  + 24 x average spend on credit = total cost (but gives you the ability to change at any time which may be worth something to you)

The contract phone initial cost should be very low (if not free) and you will then spend quite a bit on your monthly bill.

The unlocked phone will have a very high initial cost but you should be making savings with lower monthly credit costs. You will have to shop around a bit and make a decision for yourself.

Take me for example. I went with a unlocked phone and then chose a provider (Three) that was cheap monthly costs. €20 credit per month and I get unlimited texts to all networks, free Three to Three calls, free calls to all networks at weekends and unlimited data all for 30 days. So my bill works out roughly at €20/month and it suits my needs relatively well. The contract way is usually a lot less hassle.  For me it actually worked out about the same price but I wanted freedom so I payed the initial cost and went with cheaper monthly costs without a contractual obligation.

You have unlimited data... damn what i'd give to have that in Canada

For exemple, I pay 60$/month plus taxes right now for unlimited call/txt and 3gb of data and 18.92$/month is taken of what I have to pay on my note 2. If I pay the 340$ that I have left to pay the phone, does my plan cost me 18.92$ less per month?

I fear that if call my provider to ask those question they will trick my into signing another contract.

Thanks for the answer by the way :P

You have unlimited data... damn what i'd give to have that in Canada

For exemple, I pay 60$/month plus taxes right now for unlimited call/txt and 3gb of data and 18.92$/month is taken of what I have to pay on my note 2. If I pay the 340$ that I have left to pay the phone, does my plan cost me 18.92$ less per month?

I fear that if call my provider to ask those question they will trick my into signing another contract.

Thanks for the answer by the way :P

Well unlimited* (with fair usage). I am not a heavy mobile data user but I would stream a fair bit of music each day and haven't hit my allowance.

Well they may have some hidden charges in there but logically it sounds as if it should. They may not allow that though. I would give them a call. I would go into a shop instead of calling them. It is harder to trick people face to face and the shop people should be slightly less aggressive.

No worries mate. Happy hunting :)

There's a relatively new law in Canada forcing providers to provide 2 years contract and no more. This caused the plan's price to go up drastically. My current plan with Telus in Quebec is 57$ for 6gb of data and pretty much all unlimited.

If you go to the provider and take a new phone you'll probably have to change plan (Not all the time though... some plans are still valid... Not mine though)

The note 4 probably requires you to take the 80$ (Current Telus SharePlus plan) plan but in two years you can change again and you don't have to wait 3 years or more.

If I pay the 340$ that I have left to pay the phone, does my plan cost me 18.92$ less per month?

I actually have no idea. But I would like to know. Ill call the business services and ask.

CPU Intel i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz + CM hyper 212 evo Motherboard Gigabyte RAM 8gb GPU Nvidia GTX 670 Case Antec Nine Hundred Storage Samsung 840 SSD PSU Antec 650w Display Asus 144hz + 16:10 Samsung for coding Keyboard Microsoft Mouse Steelseries Sensei Raw Sound Sennheiser HD555

Anyone?

If you know you like the company and are willing to stick with them then get a 2 year contract. I had an unlocked phone running on Wind, but then I realized that there isn't any other company with plans like this for this cheap, and I'm not willing to spoil myself with LTE (never used it before and don't plan to) just so I can ruin the acceptance I currently have for regular HSPA+, so I got a 2 year contract with them and got a free phone for it.

Although Wind doesn't, some companies afaik charge extra on your bill for having a phone even on a 2 year term. I know Virgin charges $5 a month for 24 months

"Rawr XD"

I actually have no idea. But I would like to know. Ill call the business services and ask.

No anwsers... I guess if you call after 16h30pm they don't take your call

CPU Intel i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz + CM hyper 212 evo Motherboard Gigabyte RAM 8gb GPU Nvidia GTX 670 Case Antec Nine Hundred Storage Samsung 840 SSD PSU Antec 650w Display Asus 144hz + 16:10 Samsung for coding Keyboard Microsoft Mouse Steelseries Sensei Raw Sound Sennheiser HD555

Personnally, I would go with the unlocked phone in the beginning. Yes the initial price is high, but you can choose what sort of plan you want.

Unless you use your phone a lot (like you NEED 500/1000+ minutes per month), the prices might not be that appealing.

I've made that mistaked : I took an HTC One M7 with Virgin and it costs 81$ a month, even if you don't use your phone. I just switched to Koodo (broke my two year contract just now - 13 months in) and the contract breaking fees plus the switch and the monthly plan I chose still are less than what I would've paid...That's just my personal story anyway.

Do the planning, it's well worth it (use Excel).

Personnally, I would go with the unlocked phone in the beginning. Yes the initial price is high, but you can choose what sort of plan you want.

Unless you use your phone a lot (like you NEED 500/1000+ minutes per month), the prices might not be that appealing.

I've made that mistaked : I took an HTC One M7 with Virgin and it costs 81$ a month, even if you don't use your phone. I just switched to Koodo (broke my two year contract just now - 13 months in) and the contract breaking fees plus the switch and the monthly plan I chose still are less than what I would've paid...That's just my personal story anyway.

Do the planning, it's well worth it (use Excel).

Koodo is the shit in Canada. Unless you want more data which is stupid expensive anyway you look at it Koodo prepaid off contract is the best and most cost effective mobile wireless service in Canada.

As said before, the total cost should be the determining factor ... especially if you use custom ROMs anyway.

On a stock ROM, there are one or two more things to consider.

1 ) An unlocked phone doesn't have your provider's crapware on it.

2 ) Google sends out the OTA updates to the manufacturers, who then adapt it to all their models that they decide to update. With an unlocked phone, you get the OTA update from the manufacturer. However if you buy a phone with a contract, the manufacturer will send the update to your provider, who then add their crapware to it. That means you get the update weeks or even months later.

As said before, the total cost should be the determining factor ... especially if you use custom ROMs anyway.

On a stock ROM, there are one or two more things to consider.

1 ) An unlocked phone doesn't have your provider's crapware on it.

2 ) Google sends out the OTA updates to the manufacturers, who then adapt it to all their models that they decide to update. With an unlocked phone, you get the OTA update from the manufacturer. However if you buy a phone with a contract, the manufacturer will send the update to your provider, who then add their crapware to it. That means you get the update weeks or even months later.

If I remember correctly Telus, my provider, have very few bloatware of not any on their phone. Canadian provider are a lot les agressive than the USA ones in that regards. My note 2 is rooted with a custom rom right now but I might leave touch wiz on it because the features on the note 4 seems to be very intersting to be honest. I might get it sooner than I originaly planned hehe I just watch a couple review of it and it is verrry tempting! haha