Newbie pc gaming question

Timmy_D_Law

I am new to PC gaming, I have just bought an MSI GS70 gaming laptop. 

The only problem is, I do not have an optical disk drive.

Now I know there are services like steam where dvds are no longer needed, but if I do want to buy a dvd and install it through an external optical drive with 3.0 usb connector, does the game need to run off the disk every single time or the disc is just meant to install the game and after I will not need to insert it anymore?  

And if i do need to insert the disk while playing? does an external optical disk drive 3.0 usb cable fast enough to perform like an internal drive? or at least at a level to not have any problems

Thanks for any responses 

Generally games are installed off discs and then the disc is no longer needed, the only games I have to have the disc inserted for are Oblivion and Morrowind, the other games I have on disc are installed on my hard drive and run from there

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

And if you ever worried about the speed of the usb 3.0 to the external DVD reader, dont worry. Its fast enough for anything you throw at it. 

No. The disc usually just has the installation files. Once it is installed onto your hard drive you can run it as is. Most games stopped requiring a CD in the drive bay around 2007. I haven't seen a game in years that has required a CD to play. External optical drives that run off USB work perfectly fine, ASUS makes some of the best ones.

3x Dell U2414H Triple Monitor Surround @ 5760x1080 / Corsair Obsidian 900D / ASUS ROG Z97 Maximus VII Hero / i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz / 2x EVGA SC GTX 780Ti SLI @ 1150MHz / 16GB GeiL DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz / 120GB Samsung 840 EVO / Corsair AX1200W PSU

Gallery: [1] [2] [3] - Fire Strike Score - Steam Profile

Usually you can use the code in the game box on the relevant service too, e.g. BF4 you can use the activation code from the box to redeem it on Origin and download it if you wish.

Thanks for all the prompts responses, I was about to sent back the laptop because of this, but now I am more assured.

So my next step is to buy a good external 3.0 usb ODD, like some of you suggested I should look at ASUS :)

These are the spec anyway if you are curious.

Processor

• Sharkbay Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz - 3.5GHz
  • 4 Cores

Memory              

• 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (max)
  • Configuration 2 x 8GB
  • Expandable to 16GB
  • 2 x SODIMM slot

Hard Drive

• 1TB SATA HDD 7200rpm
  • 128GB SSD

Optical Drive

• None

Software

• Operating System: Windows 8.1 64bit

Display

• 17.3" Full HD, anti-glare LCD in LED backlight
  • 16:9 Aspect ratio
  • Resolution 1920 x 1080

Graphics

• nVidia Geforce GTX 970M - 3GB GDDR5

Audio

• Sound by Dynaudio
  • Dynaudio Premium Speakers
  • Subwoofer
  • Microphone

Input Devices

• Keyboard and touchpad

Networking

• Killer E2200 LAN Card
  • LAN Speed: 10/100/1000
  • Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • Bluetooth 4.0

Dimensions

• Width 418 mm
  • Length 287 mm
  • Height 21.8 mm
  • Weight 2.66 kg

Interfaces

• 4 x USB 3.0 Port(s)
  • 1 x HDMI Port(s) (v1.4)
  • 2 x Mini Display Port(s) (v1.2)
  • 1 x Microphone Jack(s)
  • 1 x Headphone Jack(s)
  • 1 x Line In Jack(s)
  • 1 x Line Out Jack(s)
  • 1 x LAN
  • Card Reader

Warranty / miscellaneous

• 2 Year Manufacturer Warranty
  • Full HD type (30fps@1080p)

Thanks for all the prompts responses, I was about to sent back the laptop because of this, but now I am more assured.

So my next step is to buy a good external 3.0 usb ODD, like some of you suggested I should look at ASUS :)

These are the spec anyway if you are curious.

Remember to make sure that laptop gets enough fresh air when you are gaming. With laptops reason for lag is usually with overheating components. Something like cooling pad is good option if you can find one cheap. Besides helping to cool, it will also make angle better (display higher) if you will be using external kb.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv