Best 980?

UltraNeonGaming
Go to solution Solved by Schoolofmonkey,

Thanks for using your free time to record the G1 for me, I really appreciate it :)

Done mate.

Sorry it took so long, 5 kids take up a lot of you time..

I filmed it on my Samsung Galaxy S3, so it will sound a little louder due to being a phone mic.

What's the best 980 you can buy? is the ASUS STRIX 980 good? Tell me the best one that isn't priced too far from the other non-reference 980's

Also I'm looking for good silence with really good over-clocking abilities

Thanks!!

Gigabyte G1 (as much as a hate GB and as much as the card is over rated)

Zotac's AMP cards

EVGA's Classified cards

eVGA ACX 2.0 is the cheapest, even though they have raised the prices a little, then MSI.

But if you're looking for a good overclocker you really can't go past the Gigabyte GTX980 G1, they are using some of the top binned chips.

It's also fairly quiet.

The Strix runs a lot warmer than the other cards mentioned, people are reporting vrm temps in the mid 90's.

I can't speak for Zotac, PNY or Galax, but I did have a Galaxy GTX780ti Hall of Fame, and that was a good card.

It depends on which environment you will throw at it. If you want to over clock and keep it cool then go for the gigabyte G1 gaming. If you want it to be quiet, for recording purposes, then go for the asus STRIX. Its what you want to use it for.

I personally would go for the G1 Gaming.

eVGA ACX 2.0 is the cheapest, even though they have raised the prices a little, then MSI.

But if you're looking for a good overclocker you really can't go past the Gigabyte GTX980 G1, they are using some of the top binned chips.

It's also fairly quiet.

The Strix runs a lot warmer than the other cards mentioned, people are reporting vrm temps in the mid 90's.

I can't speak for Zotac, PNY or Galax, but I did have a Galaxy GTX780ti Hall of Fame, and that was a good card.

Il look at the G1

It depends on which environment you will throw at it. If you want to over clock and keep it cool then go for the gigabyte G1 gaming. If you want it to be quiet, for recording purposes, then go for the asus STRIX. Its what you want to use it for.

What's best of both worlds?

What's best of both worlds?

Meeeehhhh, I don't really know, however, the zotac extreme AMP! has triple fan cooling much like the gigabyte but the strix only has two. But performance wise, zotac's is pretty similar to the others, but, that can be looked at as both good and bad.

Most expensive good one = zotac 980 amp extreme

Best value-for-money (silence and good cooling) = gigabyte gaming g1

Cheapest = reference design

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

What's the best 980 you can buy? is the ASUS STRIX 980 good? Tell me the best one that isn't priced too far from the other non-reference 980's

Also I'm looking for good silence with really good over-clocking abilities

Thanks!!

980 g1

u wot m7+1

the amp extreme IMO has ugly lights. Reference or G1 any day

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Seems I'm the only one that prefers the Strix... :P

So sexy...  :wub:

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-

I'm with you buddy! With you enough to own two of em!

Asus Maximus VII GeneIntel i7 4790k @ 4.8 - Corsair Vengance Pro 16GB DDR3 @ 2000Mhz - Asus Strix GTX980 SLI @ 1400Mhz/8000Mhz - 2x Samsing EVO 840 500GB RAID0 - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master v1000 - Focusrite Scarlett 18i6

Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear - Genelec 8040a Pair - Audio Technica AT4040 - Asus PG278Q ROG Swift - Asus PB278Q - 2x Bad Asus IPS 1080 Screens - Ducky Shine 3 w/Browns - Corsair m65 - Razer Orbweaver Clicky - Razer Sabertooth

Apple rMBP Late 2013 - Applie retina iPad 2 - Apple iPhone 5 - Apple iPod Classic - XBone - Wii U - Pikachu 3DS XL - Katsukity 3DS XL

I'm with you buddy! With you enough to own two of em!

:)

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-

It's also fairly quiet.

Didn't see you said MID 90's!

Where are people reporting these temps? because I am thinking of getting a Strix 980 Or Dual 970's

I have three G1 gaming 980s and they are too big. I can't use the rigid 3 way bridge because they get sandwiched so tight, the fans can not move as the card below is touching. So I'm not a fan one bit for what gigabyte was thinking.

I really like my Strix 980, and right now it holds the highest scores in both the 3dMark thread and the Unigine valley thread for a single 980. In fact, it is (currently) the highest scoring single GPU configuration in the 3DMark thread.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Gigabyte masterrace.

As long as it's not my hp craptop :P

I really like my Strix 980, and right now it holds the highest scores in both the 3dMark thread and the Unigine valley thread for a single 980. In fact, it is (currently) the highest scoring single GPU configuration in the 3DMark thread.

How are the temps?

How are the temps?

Never above 67C

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Never above 67C

Also is your PSU enough? Since you have a PSU with Corsair Link can you tell me how much your whole system is using?

Because I have been planning a 4790k with Strix 980 build for a while now

When stress testing? What about the VRM temps?

Yes, when looping Unigine Valley for an hour. I have no way to monitor VRM temps.