Civilization:BE first impressions

s4spencer

Just finished a 400 turn normal game myself on archipelago. Definitely enjoyed the fresh take on civilization, but I have to say a few things seemed off to me.

While its more likely my map selection that was to blame, aliens seemed to be a bigger hindrance than id have liked. I never received a single landing on my islands, more than likely due to the kraken and nests surrounding me. Besides a voluntary assault on the next island over player.vs.player conflict seemed entirely optional, even though I spent most of the 400 turns at war with someone.

The random/optional events also seemed like they could eventually use a bit more balancing. I remember one specific choice was between keeping trade routes safe from aliens, vs (i think) an extra tile of safety for fences. I chose the second, only to later spend a considerable effort clearing my shipping lanes.

My last, perhaps not issue, but something that made me feel like going back and playing good ol' civ 4 and 5 was the lack of connection between the factions in game. I know there was no real way to get around this, but I do miss that certain charm of defeating Ghandi the warlord while protecting poor flower loving Genghis Khan.

Regardless, spent the last 6 hours playing civ:BE so its a winner in my books, hows everyone else feeling about it so far?