MMX300? OR something else...buying today

ShadowCaptain
Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,

I ordered my MMX300s... cost me £235, they arrive tomorrow

I just thought fuck it and took the plunge

Expect a review in the members review section shortly (might even make a video, I need the practice)

Thanks for the help everyone

Ok I just got paid, about to pull the trigger on the MMX300, unless any of you have any better recommendations - the microphone is the most important part but also great audio is nice, as well as comfort!!!!

- If I do go ahead with the MMX300 - which version should I get? as there are versions with different ohms

OR

Do I buy an Electrovoice RE320 and sell the yeti and get some DT770s (or similar headphones)

Also, Currently using an MSI z87 G45 gaming, should I get a sound card, amp/dac or anything else to drive these?

Any other audio recommendations? I want to buy something today if possible

(FYI I currently have sennheiser momentums and a blue yeti, but want better audio, the yeti is too sensitive to ambient sound, and the momentums are not great for gaming)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Ok I just got paid, about to pull the trigger on the MMX300, unless any of you have any better recommendations - the microphone is the most important part but also great audio is nice, as well as comfort!!!!

- If I do go ahead with the MMX300 - which version should I get? as there are versions with different ohms

OR

Do I buy an Electrovoice RE320 and sell the yeti and get some DT770s (or similar headphones)

Also, Currently using an MSI z87 G45 gaming, should I get a sound card, amp/dac or anything else to drive these?

Any other audio recommendations? I want to buy something today if possible

(FYI I currently have sennheiser momentums and a blue yeti, but want better audio, the yeti is too sensitive to ambient sound, and the momentums are not great for gaming)

Audio technica stuff take your fancy at all? 

Dt880? or DT990's 

According to Barnaclues you really need an amp to drive those MMX300, what mobo you connecting it to? 

The MMX is pretty nice! You getting it from OverClockers? 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

According to Barnaclues you really need an amp to drive those MMX300, what mobo you connecting it to? 

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Audio technica stuff take your fancy at all? 

Dt880? or DT990's 

The MMX is pretty nice! You getting it from OverClockers? 

Sure I am open to any company, I just want good audio, and a microphone that doenst pick up people whispering in the next room ><

Yeah If i get dt880s/990s I may aswell get the MMX300s, as they are basically DT880s with a microphone attached :P

My motherboard is the MSI z87 G45, which apparently has good onboard sound...says it can drive 600 ohm headphones

@ShearMe thoughts? (sorry you normally know your stuff with audio)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Sure I am open to any company, I just want good audio, and a microphone that doenst pick up people whispering in the next room ><

Yeah If i get dt880s/990s I may aswell get the MMX300s, as they are basically DT880s with a microphone attached :P

My motherboard is the MSI z87 G45, which apparently has good onboard sound...says it can drive 600 ohm headphones

Do it! Good buy and your mobo will drive the thing nicely! 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

I should have gone to specsavers :P

Yup :lol:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Do it! Good buy and your mobo will drive the thing nicely! 

I think so too

It doesnt stop me running my Yeti (or better mic) in the future either and just use the headset when playing online with friends

Yup :lol:

In my defense however..I did try to..

specsavers_2492884k.jpg

I think so too

It doesnt stop me running my Yeti (or better mic) in the future either and just use the headset when playing online with friends

:D  Post a review after you get it! It looked quite similar in the design, in the ones they use in F1 at the pitwall, so quite professional looking. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

There is also something like this (like the yogscast use) the microphone is meant to be fantastic but not sure the audio will be that great

so many choices, none are perfect :(

:D  Post a review after you get it! It looked quite similar in the design, in the ones they use in F1 at the pitwall. 

They are based on the headsets use in aviation so I guess so

There is also something like this (like the yogscast use) the microphone is meant to be fantastic but not sure the audio will be that great

so many choices, none are perfect :(

They are based on the headsets use in aviation so I guess so

The mmx300 seems like a solid choice, so I think you will be fine  :D

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

The mmx300 seems like a solid choice, so I think you will be fine  :D

Or I could get a mod mic, though not sure they sound the best

I dont want to "think" ill be fine, these have to be perfect, I would happily spend double if there was a product that fit the description, there are so few reviews on these kinds of things

Even many microphones barely have any reviews or audio samples, its so hard basing my decision on little knowledge, and very few reviews/tests

Or I could get a mod mic, though not sure they sound the best

I dont want to "think" ill be fine, these have to be perfect, I would happily spend double if there was a product that fit the description, there are so few reviews on these kinds of things

Even many microphones barely have any reviews or audio samples, its so hard basing my decision on little knowledge, and very few reviews/tests

There are plenty of reviews, around Head-FI on these kinda things. 

Which reviews have you looked at for the mmx 300? Linus has one for the mod-mike. 

Nothing is ever going to be perfect. Something else will pop up and replace it. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

There are plenty of reviews, around Head-FI on these kinda things. 

Which reviews have you looked at for the mmx 300? Linus has one for the mod-mike. 

Nothing is ever going to be perfect. Something else will pop up and replace it. 

There are great reviews for the mmx300 but I mean in regards to audio stuff in general, there are sometimes microphones and headphones with like 0 reviews if they are not mainstream products

At the end of the day I can get htem for £210... which is reasonable

Well, usually you can find DT770's for under $200, which makes the MMX300 a wee bit overpriced.

Well, usually you can find DT770's for under $200, which makes the MMX300 a wee bit overpriced.

I agree, though the extra bit of money doesnt matter as it carries a pretty good mic for a headset

I have seen the Audio Technica broadcast headsets, they have great mics but I assume the audio quality for listening is not good

Or .. Do I just get an EV re320 (or similar microphone upgrade) and get a pair of dt770s? 

Basically I need the most ambient resistant microphone that sounds good and decent audio for gaming/music

I can spend up to £400 

There are great reviews for the mmx300 but I mean in regards to audio stuff in general, there are sometimes microphones and headphones with like 0 reviews if they are not mainstream products

At the end of the day I can get htem for £210... which is reasonable

Your at the right place, the headset is the range of one of the better headsets out there. Some of the companies need to work at marketing a bit better. 

Yeah it's reasonable, at a certain point I feel the gains are minimal....

Unless you want to stick a mod-mike on a HD800 or an Audeze LCD3  and make sure the game uses decent audio format as it's source. 

Base is not a strong point of the audio technicas, it's there but it's not as thumping as other headsets. 

That being said, soundstage is awesome on them. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Unless you want to stick a mod-mike on a HD800 or an Audeze LCD3  and make sure the game uses decent audio format as it's source. 

I could totally do that happily, but not sure the mod mic is good enough for what I need

I would sooner take the hit in sound quality than a hit in microphone quality - I would like both to be good though, 

I could totally do that happily, but not sure the mod mic is good enough for what I need

I would sooner take the hit in sound quality than a hit in microphone quality - I would like both to be good though, 

The mike on mine is awesome: 

yyUV0Al.jpg

However they shot themselves in the foot with the mute button, you have to hold it down to mute, and that's just irritating. When I am not gaming I have to manually mute it in the sound properties and then un-mute when playing. 

Is it just for gaming? the mic that is? 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

The mike on mine is awesome: 

However they shot themselves in the foot with the mute button, you have to hold it down to mute, and that's just irritating. When I am not gaming I have to manually mute it in the sound properties and then un-mute when playing. 

Is it just for gaming? the mic that is? 

Could you do some audio samples for me? just reading something or perhaps try make noises in the room so I can hear the isolation?

Uses:

Voiceover gamplay videos for youtube, audio commentary, recording reviews (probably will use a dedicated mic though) Razer Comms/Skype etc

So I want this so I can record my audio when gaming/streaming , but also general use too (since it will do both anyway), I mean I just spend like £2000 on camera equiptment

I just feel that my Yeti whole ok quality, not the best, its too sensitive, it picks up people talking froma cross the street, and if I am running the gain low to avoid that, nobody can hear me on comms/streaming

Could you do some audio samples for me? just reading something or perhaps try make noises in the room so I can hear the isolation?

Uses:

Voiceover gamplay videos for youtube, audio commentary, recording reviews (probably will use a dedicated mic though) Razer Comms/Skype etc

So I want this so I can record my audio when gaming/streaming , but also general use too (since it will do both anyway), I mean I just spend like £2000 on camera equiptment

I just feel that my Yeti whole ok quality, not the best, its too sensitive, it picks up people talking froma cross the street, and if I am running the gain low to avoid that, nobody can hear me on comms/streaming

Basically the same mic as this, but I have the open-back version of the headset, it has the same mic though. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps6cLom8mC4 Linus does an audio sample in it. 

Wow..err sounds expensive  :P

There's this: if you get a headphone like Dt770 or Dt880 or Dt990 

you have the ath-2020 which is a good podcast mike review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oF1fal7fbo

I don't know much about commentary mic's, but a few youtube reviewers use the audio technica ones, so might be worth checking out. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Linus does an audio sample in it. 

There's this: if you get a headphone like Dt770 or Dt880 or Dt990 

you have the ath-2020 which is a good podcast mike review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oF1fal7fbo

I don't know much about commentary mic's, but a few youtube reviewers use the audio technica ones, so might be worth checking out. 

Yeah, its hard to tell from his sample its very short

Well I already have good headphones and a blue yeti... so no point buying the AT2020 etc

If i get a new mic, it will be something really good, hence wanting an RE320 for a mic (or something of that type)

Yeah, its hard to tell from his sample its very short

Well I already have good headphones and a blue yeti... so no point buying the AT2020 etc

If i get a new mic, it will be something really good, hence wanting an RE320 for a mic (or something of that type)

I'm going to throw my hands up in the air and say I have no clue when talking about mic's for professional stuff. 

I have really loud scthye fans, so if I record anything it will be massively biased and my house is just plain noisy, I don't think it will help if I did an audio sample. It might put you off though :P

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

I'm going to throw my hands up in the air and say I have no clue when talking about mic's for professional stuff. 

I have really loud scthye fans, so if I record anything it will be massively biased and my house is just plain noisy, I don't think it will help if I did an audio sample. It might put you off though :P

Yeah I will be trying to get my PC as quite as possible and install sound insulating panels etc 

mhm I dont know anybody who does know :/

Yeah I will be trying to get my PC as quite as possible and install sound insulating panels etc 

mhm I dont know anybody who does know :/

You can hear my computer down the flaming stairs, when the fans are at full pelt. 

There must be a few forum members that know something about it?

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf