PSU housing is charged.

DJRin98

Hello!

I am building a new PC for my friend, and when we were almost done i discovered that the chassi were electricly charged.

After a bit of troubleshooting we found that it was the PSU that was charged even when it was turned off. It is the CS 750W from corsair. 

Does anybody know why? Is the PSU defect or is it supposed to be this way?

Thanks and sorry for bad grammar.

I think it is no problem if you PSU was charged with static electricity. Just touch your PSU and something grounded.

PSUs can handle static electricity. That si their job:D

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I think it is no problem if you PSU was charged with static electricity. Just touch your PSU and something grounded.

PSUs can handle static electricity. That si their job:D

It's not static electricity. When it is plugged in it is charged with about 12V costatly.And scince i am grounded i get the electricity through me.

It's not static electricity. When it is plugged in it is charged with about 12V costatly.And scince i am grounded i get the electricity through me.

You should generally work inside a PC with the PSU unplugged not sure how many people actually do, but it is good practice

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

You should unplug the psu when working in your pc, one screwdriver in the wrong place could zap the whole system or even you if you're not careful.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Ok, if I understand you correctly, then your PSU HOUSING (i.e. outer shell) has a constant charge of 12V, despite beeing turned off?

1st off, let me tell you:

The case of your PSU (and PC case, if mounted and metallic) should ALWAYS have ~0V, especially when plugged in to the wall (because then it's connected to earth/ground and should disposse of any charge). If that isn't the case, then somethings wrong with the connection between earth and housing (either internally in the PSU or in the cable).

2nd:

As long as your PSU is not running, then there's only a small standy-signal on the 24pin and all other connector are unpowered, so working on the pc is fine, as long as you don't start it or plug/unplug the 24pin or touch the MB. It's saver though, to just unplugg the pc.

3rd:

IF your case has a charge of 12V over >1-2seconds, then that means you have a shortage/isolation proplem on top of no earth connection. It may just be a plug or your MoBo thats accidently touching your case somehow, so check that first. If not, it could be PSU internally.

My advice here: Check your PSU-Ground connection.

If you have no DMM:

Take the PSU out, set it on a non-conductive surface (cardbord or wood will do) and plug it in. Hook up your Voltmeter (I assume you have one, since you answered previously with "12v") and measure case->reference (reference can be anything metallic that you know has no charge, like a Table-Leg, Faucet, Doorknob,etc). If 0V, proceed. If >1V for 5sec, RMA.

Then, jump-start your PSU (bridge on the 24pin connector). Measure again, results see above.

Then let it run for a couple of minutes, best with some load (like a fan). Test again.

If your Meter is capable of checking connections (beeper) or resistance (0 = connection), you can directly measure: The middle Pin of the power-connector -> PSU case (at best, the screws where you mount it). If no connection, RMA (or ask a friendly electronic-engineer ;) ). Check also your cable.