Cooler Master Glacer 240L Review

Matthias2556

I hope you enjoy my latest review of the Glacer 240L from cooler master as much as I enjoyed making it! 

Pricing and availability:

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

u related to master linus?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

u related to master linus?

Possibly  :rolleyes:

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

good video  :D you seriously need to oc that 8350 because i presume its on autovoltage, and it was using  1.44v which is way too much for stock speeds. you could set it to 1.45v in the bios and just see how fast it will go.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Careful, that thing is known to perform poorly and start fires.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103196

I would return it and get a Cooler Master Seidon 240M.  Its only $60 and will give you the same performance at half the price.  No fire hazards reported either.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Careful, that thing is known to perform poorly and start fires.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103196

I would return it and get a Cooler Master Seidon 240M.  Its only $60 and will give you the same performance at half the price.  No fire hazards reported either.

Yeah, those reviews are a bit worrying  :unsure: I'll keep it for now, but I'll have to watch it closely. if I get even a hint that it's malfunctioning, I'll rip it out of there faster than you can say LinusTechTips  :D

good video  :D you seriously need to oc that 8350 because i presume its on autovoltage, and it was using  1.44v which is way too much for stock speeds. you could set it to 1.45v in the bios and just see how fast it will go.

yeah, i've never OC'd before, but how hard could it be? ;) will probably do that tomorrow when i have some free time

Yeah, those reviews are a bit worrying  :unsure: I'll keep it for now, but I'll have to watch it closely. if I get even a hint that it's malfunctioning, I'll rip it out of there faster than you can say LinusTechTips  :D

yeah, i've never OC'd before, but how hard could it be? ;) will probably do that tomorrow when i have some free time

Why even risk it?  I'm assuming you live in the US based on your accent, just return it and buy the Seidon 240M.  As you said, you just want a solid 240mm AIO, and you don't plan on expanding.  That is what the 240M provides at less than half the price of the Glacer, without the fire hazard.

One report of a fire is an anomaly, 2+ reports of a fire is a defective product.  Return that thing as fast as you can say LinusTechTips.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

how hard could it be? ;)

why did you have to say that!  :wacko:

pc_on_fire_hr.jpg

seriously though, its fairly easy and the rev 4 ud3 is a great 990fx board for overclocking.  :)

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

• 3 weeks later...

Why even risk it?  I'm assuming you live in the US based on your accent, just return it and buy the Seidon 240M.  As you said, you just want a solid 240mm AIO, and you don't plan on expanding.  That is what the 240M provides at less than half the price of the Glacer, without the fire hazard.

One report of a fire is an anomaly, 2+ reports of a fire is a defective product.  Return that thing as fast as you can say LinusTechTips.

yep, it happened. in under a month, the pump has started malfunctioning (and by malfunctioning, i mean stopped spinning up AT ALL). on startup, the pump shows 0 RPM, leaving the cpu to heat up to 80+ degrees, as its just being passively cooled by the block. i usually shut off my pc immediately if i see this happening. it only happens on startup tho. After a few restarts it usually starts working tho, and is completely fine until i shut off the computer. then it happens next time i turn it on.thankfully, im still within amazons return window, so i can get a refund. Im very dissapointed in cooler master's low manufacturing quality of this product, they obviously have some issues they need to work out. Not sure what ill get in its place, perhaps the seidon as you said, or maybe the noctua dh-14? Time for me to start researching :)

yep, it happened. in under a month, the pump has started malfunctioning (and by malfunctioning, i mean stopped spinning up AT ALL). on startup, the pump shows 0 RPM, leaving the cpu to heat up to 80+ degrees, as its just being passively cooled by the block. i usually shut off my pc immediately if i see this happening. it only happens on startup tho. After a few restarts it usually starts working tho, and is completely fine until i shut off the computer. then it happens next time i turn it on.thankfully, im still within amazons return window, so i can get a refund. Im very dissapointed in cooler master's low manufacturing quality of this product, they obviously have some issues they need to work out. Not sure what ill get in its place, perhaps the seidon as you said, or maybe the noctua dh-14? Time for me to start researching :)

Sorry this happened man. The reviews warned you of this though. Good thing you're within the return period and no real damage was done. This is the only product of Cooler Masters that is of poor quality. Everything else is too notch. As far as what to get next, the Noctua is a good option if you are into air towers. The Seidon 240M is amazing, too bad it went up in price recently($75). The Cooler Master Nepton 280L is only $99 and that is a phenomenal 280mm AIO. There is also the NZXT X61 that is $130. Lastly, Cooler Master just came out with a brand new AIO, The Nepton 240M. It is brand new design, and is supposed to be incredibly quiet while performing as good as 280mm AIOs. It is also $130. All of these coolers are excellent and have great reviews. You can't go wrong with any of the ones I listed. Do your research and you'll find the one that fits your needs.