how long will 1080p live on?

Swndlr

For a long time? 1080p is only just becoming the standard in some cases. Look at the new consoles for example, and some of the games that can barely run "next gen 1080p". At least 7 more years IMO. 1440p is pretty niche in anything aside from PC gaming markets, and it will probably never hit the mainstream. The next jump will most likely be straight to 4K, which is friendlier as simply being 4 times 1080p.

3x Dell U2414H Triple Monitor Surround @ 5760x1080 / Corsair Obsidian 900D / ASUS ROG Z97 Maximus VII Hero / i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz / 2x EVGA SC GTX 780Ti SLI @ 1150MHz / 16GB GeiL DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz / 120GB Samsung 840 EVO / Corsair AX1200W PSU

Gallery: [1] [2] [3] - Fire Strike Score - Steam Profile

HP aren't the only ones. Dell still use 1366x768 panels in a lot of their laptops. My Dell Latitude being an example. Thankfully Lenovo and some other companies generally have 1080p as their standard.

Surprisingly, my Pavilion has a 1600x900 screen, the same as my monitor. So not all of them have 1366x768 screens.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Hey, I still haven't adopted 1080p. :lol:

I do have a 1080p TV, but I play on a 1280x1024 monitor...

I have that same res on my monitor, it's weird when you change to a 16:9 monitor from that 4:3. 

AMD FX-8320 | GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 | CORSAIR HYDRO H60 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 8GB DDR3 1600 CL9 | PALIT GEFORCE GTX 660 OC | WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE 1TB 7200 | SEAGATE MOMENTUS 320GB 5400 | FSP 500W | LITE-ON iHAS122 | ORION ARGO GAMING ATX CASE | Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit. [PC BUILDER - ENTRY LEVEL|MID TIER|HIGH END|ENTHUSIAST GRADE]

I don't see 1080p going anywhere soon. I think once consoles are finally rendering at 1080p regularly there might be more of a push to something else. Hopefully 4K will become mainstream in the next few years or so though.

still pretty long by the way. 4K even is not 'new' anymore, but the support isn't quite enough like hardware, content, even network (yeah, 4K is bandwidth hogging until someone figuring new great and more efficient way to compress-decompress the data, or decode-encode if i'm wrong :P ).

a lot people still use 768p. 31% based on this stats while 1080p sits around 13%. (a lot of laptops nowadays still use 768p)

so, long live 1080p then  :lol:

*i'm 900p user  :D

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i

still pretty long by the way. 4K even is not 'new' anymore, but the support isn't quite enough like hardware, content, even network (yeah, 4K is bandwidth hogging until someone figuring new great and more efficient way to compress-decompress the data, or decode-encode if i'm wrong :P ).

a lot people still use 768p. 31% based on this stats while 1080p sits around 13%. (a lot of laptops nowadays still use 768p)

so, long live 1080p then  :lol:

*i'm 900p user  :D

1366x768 resolution isn't that old resolution. A lot of new laptops are still made with that resolution (Why? WHY? WHY!?)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

1366x768 resolution isn't that old resolution. A lot of new laptops are still made with that resolution (Why? WHY? WHY!?)

maybe about price point and hardware. mainstream laptop hardware is not strong enough to gaming on higher resolution (but some gaming spec laptop does) IMHO :huh:

like your signature btw  :lol:

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i

But how can people stop buying them when manufacturers keep making them and they keep breaking so people keep buying?

People can upgrade and buy >1080p monitors. People have to want them and they have to see a difference. We are seeing a considerably less return on investment when we increase the resolution and 1080p screens still provide a great experience for many people, so it may not go away for a long time. Cellphones are a great example of this stagnation.

maybe about price point and hardware. mainstream laptop hardware is not strong enough to gaming on higher resolution (but some gaming spec laptop does) IMHO :huh:

like your signature btw  :lol:

I wasn't talking purely about gaming: like my Windows 8 tablet (Acer Iconia W510) has a 1366x768 IPS screen, and just watching videos forces an odd choice of 720p or 1080p resolutions, neither of them fit a 768p screen too well (and that tablet I mentioned has an iGPU so slow it can't play 1080p YouTube videos without significant lag). And you wouldn't get a worthy upgrade in image quality, so I'm basically stuck with 720p.

All I'm saying is that the 1366x768 resolution is just a bit stupid.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

i'll be moving to 4k here pretty soon

I'm waiting for 4K with G-Sync at 144Hz, then we'll be on to something. The current 4K with 60Hz G-Sync is close but not close enough for me.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I don't actually think 1440p will replace 1080p since display manufacturers are trying to rush out 4K now. 1440p would be nice but here in the UK at least, most QHD monitors are priced the same as the 4K ones, which just seems a bit silly. Heck, we still have 1080p monitors here that cost like £300, its pretty ridiculous. For comparison, I got my AOC 4K monitor for £399, most 1440p monitors I was looking at were £450 and the really good 1080p panels were around £250-£300. 

well im stuck in between currently using 1920x1080p monitor 1920x1200 and 1280x1024 monitors so im stuck in lower resolutions until  that nice dell 5k comes out

As long as consoles and devs continue to be lazy and behind the times.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Until manufacturers can get 1440p down to 1080p prices and people start to see the need for it, then it will replace 1080p. Long story short, anywhere from 1 year to 5 years.

I'm probably playing a game right now...

in my country, 1366x768 VGA monitors are still common, not a lot people use 1080 monitors except enthusiast users

I like my Dell U2413 with its 1920x1200 resolution. The 16:10 aspect ratio is so underrated and I'm actually looking to grab another to replace my ancient 17 inch NEC. No idea how that one has survived as long as it has.