Man sentenced for lasering plane with 118 passengers aboard

Samfisher

It has actually happened quite a few times here in Denmark. I have no idea how, but they usually always find the person who did it.

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

It has to do with the sensitivity of colors to the human eyes. It takes a lot of theory to fully explain, but let me simplify this as best as I can.

Our eyes can see three main colors; red, green, and blue. This results in three cones of light, which is where the RGB additive color scheme comes from. The arrangement is not arbitrary, it relates to the position of the cones in the color spectrum. As "green" lies in between "red" and "blue", it covers the widest range of the spectrum. That makes us see more shades of green than we see shades of red or blue. It is also why, on a camera sensor, there are 2 pigments of green light per pixel, where red and blue only get one (this is called a Bayer Filter).

More information: [1] [2] [3]

Fascinating. I was wondering about how green dot lasers have less spread over a distance (at the same distance, a red dot laser's dot will have a greater diameter than that of a green dot). The beam stays "tighter" with green dot lasers. All I know is it has something to do with the actual wavelength.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I feel this problem could be fixed by using mirrored oneway glass

Hi, future ATCO here: in case of comunication failure the Tower shall send light signals so you can't have mirrored glas. The problem would be fixed if people weren't just assholes who played with the lives of at least 180 persons of a plane just beacuse it's fun.

As far as I'm concerned, it's attempt at murder.  In the case of a passenger aircraft, one could even consider it an act of terrorism.

People who point lasers at aircraft know full well what the effect and possible consequences are.

Explanation of what went on please?

What's lasering? What's the punishment?

Pointing a laser at an aircraft

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Just put it in third person... :lol:

haha, nice one!

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

It's not like the pilot actually does anything when flying the plane anyway.

... what?

Yeah he does nothing... except FLY THE PLANE! In addition to that, the plane was landing. The guy with the laser literally put the lives of over 180 people in jeopardy. He could have directly caused over 180 people's death. What you said is unreasonable and makes no sense.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

... what?

Yeah he does nothing... except FLY THE PLANE! In addition to that, the plane was landing. The guy with the laser literally put the lives of over 180 people in jeopardy. He could have directly caused over 180 people's death. What you said is unreasonable and makes no sense.

Clearly you don't understand how planes work.

I know you're going to point to auto pilots but that would downplay the importance of a pilot tremendously.

There is a reason why it takes a long long time to become a pilot (I am pretty sure you need at least 1500 flight hours to be allowed to be a passenger airplane pilot).

My astronomy lab tutor has one of those extremely powerful lasers that are strong enough to point out objects in the night sky. He says that misuse of these pointers is usually handled similarly to misuse of guns. Every time he uses it he has to make sure that there's no aircraft in the vicinity of the laser since they do diffract a lot at higher altitudes.

Oh master, oh expert, please do inform me of my ignorance!

All joking aside, if you have something constructive to add besides insults and belittling (which, I remind you, are against the forum CoC - and your statement definitely qualifies), then please do explain what you mean.

I know you're going to point to auto pilots but that would downplay the importance of a pilot tremendously.

There is a reason why it takes a long long time to become a pilot (I am pretty sure you need at least 1500 flight hours to be allowed to be a passenger airplane pilot).

Indeed, auto--pilot is likely what he is referring to. Because anyone can just jump in a plane and fly it, amirite?

No. Being a pilot (especially for a commercial airline) is an incredibly difficult job. @Cookybiscuit why don't you get into a commercial airline and try and land while someone flashes a laser into your cockpit? Seriously, I don't even get your point (or lack thereof). The guy with the laser could have easily KILLED 180 people. How do you not understand that? Shining a laser into a cockpit - especially a landing cockpit - is tantamount to shining a blinding light into a truck drivers eyes right as he starts to turn onto a Highway On-ramp. Not only could you kill him, but dozens of other drivers all around him.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

All these kids whining about how a laser could bring a plane down when in reality the pilot was probably asleep at the time anyway.

All these kids whining about how a laser could bring a plane down when in reality the pilot was probably asleep at the time anyway.

So, let me get this straight, you think the Pilot was asleep, during a landing procedure? Is that seriously what you're suggesting?

So, let me get this straight, you think the Pilot was asleep, during a landing procedure? Is that seriously what you're suggesting?

Sure, he was probably relaxing while the plane coasted down with zero input from anyone.

Sure, he was probably relaxing while the plane coasted down with zero input from anyone.

Pilots do not use autopilot all the way to the tarmac..... just fyi....

The most dangerious, sensitive and difficult portion of landing is done manually....

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

only stupid people do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8btZ2y6cmRQ

This video has the wrong description. The video is from the UK and not from Florida where a 19 year also point a laser at police helicopter. The florida teen was arrested and if he's guilty, then it's punishable with a maximum of up to 5 years in prison along with a $250,000 fine. The dude in this video was also arrested, his sentence is much much lighter.

UK one: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-29648440

Florida one: http://kxan.com/2014/06/10/19-year-old-arrested-in-florida-laser-pointing-incident/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list