How does BENQ justify the extra $100 price?

Alphabloom

So I was looking at some 27inch 1440P moiniters and i came across these two monitors: 

GW2765HT : http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28308&cPath=1090 

BL2710PT : http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1090&products_id=24952

I was wondering what the differences could be for benq to charge and extra $100 for the gaming branded crap. If there has been the same post about these two monitors, I apologise, and please link me to that thread.

Thanks! 

Reponse times, the cheaper is 12ms, the gaming is 4ms, and both are IPS

Diamond 5 in League :)

Reponse times, the cheaper is 12ms, the gaming is 4ms, and both are IPS

why does the cheaper one advertise it as 12ms, 4ms (GTG) ?

"I'm not 100% sure but I believe GTG is the gray to gray response time whilst other have different response times. So if a monitor is advertised with 5ms gtg it may have a higher practical response time. I think GTG is typically faster although I'm not sure what practical difference their is."

Toms hardware 

Diamond 5 in League :)

why does the cheaper one advertise it as 12ms, 4ms (GTG) ?

4ms is Gray To Gray. Response time is faster with shades then colors.

"Rawr XD"

"I'm not 100% sure but I believe GTG is the gray to gray response time whilst other have different response times. So if a monitor is advertised with 5ms gtg it may have a higher practical response time. I think GTG is typically faster although I'm not sure what practical difference their is."

Toms hardware 

great.. so I know the response time is important in gaming but $100 just for it is massive difference, so apart from the RS, it's pretty much the same? 

4ms is Gray To Gray. Response time is faster with shades then colors.

so when companies advertise it just as 1ms GTG they mean all colours as well as gray to gray? whilst if they advertise it as 12ms, 4ms GTG it only means all colours except the shades of gray is 12ms whilst 4ms is just the grays? 

so when companies advertise it just as 1ms GTG they mean all colours as well as gray to gray? whilst if they advertise it as 12ms, 4ms GTG it only means all colours except the shades of gray is 12ms whilst 4ms is just the grays? 

If it's just 1ms GTG then it means gray to gray is 1ms, other colors isn't advertised (and likely a reason for so)

12ms, 4ms GTG basically means response time at the fastest is 4ms while the slowest is 12ms. It could be either one or anywhere in between at any given point, depending on what's being displayed.

"Rawr XD"

If it's just 1ms GTG then it means gray to gray is 1ms, other colors isn't advertised (and likely a reason for so)

12ms, 4ms GTG basically means response time at the fastest is 4ms while the slowest is 12ms. It could be either one or anywhere in between at any given point, depending on what's being displayed.

ugh, so how do they justify the $100 price tag if the GTG on both monitors is 4ms? 

I don't have much info about the GW, if any at all. But the BL2710PT is one of the best 2560x1440 monitors on the market along with the Q2770PQU and the EIZO EV2736W

ok but is it any good for gaming?

So I was looking at some 27inch 1440P moiniters and i came across these two monitors: 

GW2765HT : http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28308&cPath=1090 

BL2710PT : http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1090&products_id=24952

I was wondering what the differences could be for benq to charge and extra $100 for the gaming branded crap. If there has been the same post about these two monitors, I apologise, and please link me to that thread.

Thanks!

I've been interested in both of these monitors also for my planned build. I'm currently leaning towards the BenQ GW2765HT because of it's aesthetics, it just looks nicer to me. I had thought about the BL2710PT, but it appears to have some issues, as detailed in this review of TFT Central's: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/benq_bl2710pt.htm#intro

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I've been interested in both of these monitors also for my planned build. I'm currently leaning towards the BenQ GW2765HT because of it's aesthetics, it just looks nicer to me. I had thought about the BL2710PT, but it appears to have some issues, as detailed in this review of TFT Central's: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/benq_bl2710pt.htm#intro

cheers for that link, I love the fact it goes into so much detail but shame half of the stuff I don't think I understand. Maybe the GW is the way to go, does TFT central have any reviews for that monitor?  

cheers for that link, I love the fact it goes into so much detail but shame half of the stuff I don't think I understand. Maybe the GW is the way to go, does TFT central have any reviews for that monitor?

No, but I might request it tomorrow.

Response times that aren't labeled BTB (Black to black) or WTW (White to white) are usually GTG response times. There's little to no regulation on how GTG response times are measured so it's pretty much a bull spec and should be ignored outside of in-depth monitor reviews, benchmarks, and tests. 

No. They refer to Tr and Tf response times which are the rise and fall times that add up to the pixel's full transition time.

ugh, so how do they justify the $100 price tag if the GTG on both monitors is 4ms? 

The BL has a usb port hub and is AHVA which is similar to PLS and better than any standard IPS,.

ok but is it any good for gaming?

..Sure? It's great--don't see why not/ 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker, thanks for a nice, thorough, well written and informative response. From what a gather from your comment, you'd recommend the BL2710PT over the GW2765HT because of the AHVA/PLS panel, correct? If so, what makes AHVA/PLS panels better than their IPS counterparts? I'm really curious about this. :)

@WoodenMarker, thanks for a nice, thorough, well written and informative response. From what a gather from your comment, you'd recommend the BL2710PT over the GW2765HT because of the AHVA/PLS panel, correct? If so, what makes AHVA/PLS panels better than their IPS counterparts? I'm really curious about this. :)

Well, that depends on whether money isn't really an issue, if the better panel or usb ports would actually come into use, and if the OP is looking at other displays.

AHVA, like PLS are higher end panels that have wider viewing angles and can produce more brightness than standard IPS panels. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Avoid the bl2710pt at all costs. That line has severe quality control issues.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Avoid the bl2710pt at all costs. That line has severe quality control issues.

Where'd you hear that from?

Where'd you hear that from?

The many forums, reviews, and personal experiences myself. I had to send back two monitors. The first one wouldn't even power on, the second had dead pixels.

Plus, if you're in Canada, futureshop and bestbuy have removed the monitor from inventory because the qc issues were so bad. I'd imagine more retailers are probably going to do the same.

Edited by eLucid

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

The many forums, reviews, and personal experiences myself, I had to send back two monitors. The first one wouldn't even power on, the second had dead pixels.

Plus, if you're in Canada, futureshop and bestbuy have removed the monitor from inventory because the qc issues were so bad. I'd imagine more retailers are probably going to do the same.

Hmm, okay. Well that helps me with my decision. I wanted to get the BenQ GW2765HT anyway. Thanks for the info. :)