Best headphones for under $200?

JoshK

Ive been looking at the ATH-M50x and I think thats what I want to go with but would like some more suggestions.

Sennheiser HD 558 or 598 (the 598 are a bit more expensive)

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

Ive been looking at the ATH-M50x and I think thats what I want to go with but would like some more suggestions.

If you want a really accurate sound, the m50xs are good, but they're not exciting to listen to.

I think it would be either the HD 558s or 598s depending on what you want to spend.

"best" is very subjective,

quick questions so I can narrow down the headphone I think would be right for you.

What previous headphones have you owned? What did you like/dislike about the aforementioned headphone?

What music do you listen to?

Are you planning on using it just at the desktop, or portable use too?

#!

Read the audio FAQ.

Go try some. It's the only way to know for sure.

{PC} i5 4690 | Gigabyte R9 290 | Asus H97-Plus | 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury | CM Hyper 212 Evo | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | Adata SX900 256GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB TT 650W Smart Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed

{Audio} Ear/Headphones: HiFiMAN HE-400, Westone 4R, Shure SE535 Amp: Little Dot MKIII, Fiio E11 Dac: LIttle Dot Dac II

Sennheiser HD 558 or 598 (the 598 are a bit more expensive)

+1

"best" is very subjective,

quick questions so I can narrow down the headphone I think would be right for you.

What previous headphones have you owned? What did you like/dislike about the aforementioned headphone?

What music do you listen to?

Are you planning on using it just at the desktop, or portable use too?

Well I have never had a good pair of headphones but I had beats solos and I currenyly just use apple earbuds and my Kraken Pros

I like the sound of beats I'm not going to lie but theyre too expensive for what your getting and I don't like how they look. I like low frequencies but I would like a good sound all across the board.

I listen to dance, trap, and some rap. Mostly A$AP Rocky or School Boy Q or drake and then on he dance side, Dillon Francis, skrillex, daft punk, bass nectar deadmau5 etc.

I would be using them on the go and at my desk and I don't exactly want to spend my money on an amp but if it makes them come alive then why not?

if your looking for something open back, have a look @ the fischer audio fa-011's

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson  :D  

The sennheiser urbanite is pushing your budget range, but you would probably like them a lot. 

review- http://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/sennheiser-urbanite-review/

Linus-

Well I have never had a good pair of headphones but I had beats solos and I currenyly just use apple earbuds and my Kraken Pros

I like the sound of beats I'm not going to lie but theyre too expensive for what your getting and I don't like how they look. I like low frequencies but I would like a good sound all across the board.

I listen to dance, trap, and some rap. Mostly A$AP Rocky or School Boy Q or drake and then on he dance side, Dillon Francis, skrillex, daft punk, bass nectar deadmau5 etc.

I would be using them on the go and at my desk and I don't exactly want to spend my money on an amp but if it makes them come alive then why not?

most Sennheisers aren't very bass-heavy, at least not compared to something like a pair of Beats, so I wouldn't go for those, except for the Urbanites I think. the M50X are actually sorta bass-heavy, at least when you consider that they are marketed as "monitor" headphones, they have an elevated bass compared to what are considered the industry standard as monitoring headphones, the Sony MDR-v6 and 7506. By all means, the M50X's are okay headphones, but for a little less cash you can get the M40X which sound identical, from what I've heard. Keep in mind that this series from Audio-Technica can be considered fairly uncomfortable, at least my M50's were, the pads were too small for my ears so they almost became on-ear headphones, and the pads got rock hard over time, but they can be replaced with better ones, such as Shure HPAEC840 pads, though it might change the sound signature a bit. I know EmoRarity put HPAEC1540 pads on a pair of M50's and they sounded the same as with normal pads and were infinitely more comfortable. Take a look at Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 too, or maybe the Custom One Pro. these might seem pricy but they are very good headphones, with very good bass in all of them.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50