Should I use a 32 inch TV as my monitor?

DeadEyeKozi

Hey guys

So I have a 32 Inch Soniq TV and I'm going to build my PC soon. I was wondering if I should use this TV as the monitor. If not, can you suggest a large, but not to expensive monitor.

Thanks 

Spoiler

CPU: I7-4790k CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA Z97X-Gaming 3 

Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866 16GB, (2x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte Geforce G1 Gaming 980Ti 

Case: NZXT Noctis 450 (Black/Red) Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracude 7200RPM 3TB 

PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold

You could, but tvs are really meant for people to sit far away from them, not a few feet from them.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

@DeadEyeKozi, I'm sorry to ignore your question, but I just have to say that your LTT profile pic is AWESOME! Did you make that yourself? :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I would as long as it's 1080p. I mean, have you seen Barnucles's setup? I think he said those are 40 inch tvs, so apparently it works for him.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Nothing stopping you from doing it...

Just remember to customize the settings when using it as a monitor... I had a hard time reading stuff on my 32" 1080p TV before because I forgot to turn the sharpness down...

You could, but tvs are really meant for people to sit far away from them, not a few feet from them.

Basically this. Always avoid using a televisions when possible. You will notice it is fuzzy instantly & it is bad for your eyes.

Screen size isn't important, the important factor is resolution. If you are planning on getting a 1920x1080 (1080p) monitor do not get anything over 24 inches because that is the point in which the picture quality starts to degrade. a 32 in, 24 in, 21.5in 1080p monitor will have the same amount of total pixels. However, there is more pixels per inch the small screen size you go. As stated, over 24 is bad. If you want anything large than that you are looking at a 1440p monitor which is 27 inches. You can find 1080p monitors for as little as 100-130$

Basically this. Always avoid using a televisions when possible. You will notice it is fuzzy instantly & it is bad for your eyes.

Screen size isn't important, the important factor is resolution. If you are planning on getting a 1920x1080 (1080p) monitor do not get anything over 24 inches because that is the point in which the picture quality starts to degrade. a 32 in, 24 in, 21.5in 1080p monitor will have the same amount of total pixels. However, there is more pixels per inch the small screen size you go. As stated, over 24 is bad. If you want anything large than that you are looking at a 1440p monitor which is 27 inches

I know, also some people would consider 1080p at 27" to be fine, though 1440p is preferred due to the higher pixel density.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Tvs are just large monitors. There is no reason why you cannot sit close to a TV. People don't use CRTs any more so theres nothing unsafe about it.

Screen size isn't important, the important factor is resolution. If you are planning on getting a 1920x1080 (1080p) monitor do not get anything over 24 inches because that is the point in which the picture quality starts to degrade. a 32 in, 24 in, 21.5in 1080p monitor will have the same amount of total pixels. However, there is more pixels per inch the small screen size you go. As stated, over 24 is bad. If you want anything large than that you are looking at a 1440p monitor which is 27 inches. You can find 1080p monitors for as little as 100-130$

lower resolution is not "fuzzy" and it is not "bad for your eyes"

idk where the hell you're getting your information from, but it is completely incorrect

Lower pixel density is a mere inconvenience. OP can try using his tv, and if he finds its enough then he doesnt need to waste another $300 on a monitor.

Looking at a lower pixel density screen will NOT damage your eyesight. The only difference is that text will need to be larger to be read clearly, and imges will not look as sharp.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Tvs are just large monitors. There is no reason why you cannot sit close to a TV. People don't use CRTs any more so theres nothing unsafe about it.

The low pixel density of a TV due to them being made for people to sit further away from them will be noticeable, I'm not saying it is bad for you, I just wouldn't suggest it over a monitor.

The low pixel density of a TV due to them being made for people to sit further away from them will be noticeable, I'm not saying it is bad for you, I just wouldn't suggest it over a monitor.

Of course its noticeable. I use a 55" 1080p tv as a monitor. But after a bit of time I got used to it. I dont like reading small text on it, but for gaming it works perfectly well for me.

But it doesnt hurt your eyes like the other guy said. Its just an inconvenience, nothing more.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

@DeadEyeKozi, I'm sorry to ignore your question, but I just have to say that your LTT profile pic is AWESOME! Did you make that yourself? :)

Thanks man! Yeah I did, I made it in Photoshop

Spoiler

CPU: I7-4790k CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA Z97X-Gaming 3 

Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866 16GB, (2x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte Geforce G1 Gaming 980Ti 

Case: NZXT Noctis 450 (Black/Red) Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracude 7200RPM 3TB 

Yeah, Well I tested it on my laptop and where it is positioned on my desk is easy to get used to.

I would as long as it's 1080p. I mean, have you seen Barnucles's setup? I think he said those are 40 inch tvs, so apparently it works for him.

Yeah, its 1080p

Nothing stopping you from doing it...

Just remember to customize the settings when using it as a monitor... I had a hard time reading stuff on my 32" 1080p TV before because I forgot to turn the sharpness down...

Yeah, I tried playing DayZ and CS:GO just to see the gaming experience on it and i've got all the settings.

My TV must be different because I have never seen 'fuzzyness'. My dream monitor is the 21-9 LG one that Linus used but its too expensive. Im going to go shopping on the weekend but Im not sure if ill buy one yet.

I know, also some people would consider 1080p at 27" to be fine, though 1440p is preferred due to the higher pixel density.

Yeah. Unfortunately mine is only 1080p

lower resolution is not "fuzzy" and it is not "bad for your eyes"

idk where the hell you're getting your information from, but it is completely incorrect

Lower pixel density is a mere inconvenience. OP can try using his tv, and if he finds its enough then he doesnt need to waste another $300 on a monitor.

Looking at a lower pixel density screen will NOT damage your eyesight. The only difference is that text will need to be larger to be read clearly, and imges will not look as sharp.

I have 1080p resolution and after a week of testing my eyes weren't hurt and I didn't see any fuzziness, although the games ran a bit better on my laptop screen, But my laptop is about an average one. I don't think this will happen once iv'e built my computer.

Yeah. I haven't noticed it yet but maybe I will if i try a monitor.

Of course its noticeable. I use a 55" 1080p tv as a monitor. But after a bit of time I got used to it. I dont like reading small text on it, but for gaming it works perfectly well for me.

But it doesnt hurt your eyes like the other guy said. Its just an inconvenience, nothing more.

Woah, 55 Inch. Is that mounted?

Spoiler

Thanks man! Yeah I did, I made it in Photoshop.

WOW! That's fanspankentastic! It really is:

post-14986-0-88932600-1414117181.jpg

You should do wallpapers for this forum like @XTankSlayerX & @FuzzyYellow do. If that is just a sample of what you can do, I'd love to some more amazing work like his of yours. I know I sound a bit over the top, but I just can't ignore such brilliant work.....seriously! :) :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

You should do wallpapers for this forum like @XTankSlayerX & @FuzzyYellow do. If that is just a sample of what you can do, I'd love to some more amazing work like his of yours. I know I sound a bit over the top, but I just can't ignore such brilliant work.....seriously! :) :)

Thanks so much, I might look into it ! ! :)

Spoiler

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I've started a trend... I hope this doesn't drown the forum down with wallpapers

Thanks so much, I might look into it ! ! :)

That's some really nice work!

I've started a trend... I hope this doesn't drown the forum down with wallpapers

That's some really nice work!

Haha. I just use it as my profile picture for forums, youtube etc. Your work looks amazing aswell

Thanks so much

Spoiler

Haha. I just use it as my profile picture for forums, youtube etc. Your work looks amazing aswell.

Well, seeing how good your work is, could possibly provide a link to your YouTube channel? Even just PM me if you don't wanna risk breaching the CoC. :)

Well, seeing how good your work is, could possibly provide a link to your YouTube channel? Even just PM me if you don't wanna risk breaching the CoC. :)

HAHAHAHA. Cough* http://www.youtube.com/user/deadeyekozi *Cough

Spoiler

HAHAHAHA. Cough* http://www.youtube.com/user/deadeyekozi *Cough

Subscribed!

Curious though, why was your channel suspended?

Oh...and.....ANOTHER FELLOW AUSSIE!!! Awesome! They seem to be few and far between on this forum. :(

Subscribed!

Curious though, why was your channel suspended?

Oh...and.....ANOTHER FELLOW AUSSIE!!! Awesome! They seem to be few and far between on this forum. :(

Thanks! It was suspended due to a report/complaint but I sorted it out and It's all good now.

Sweet, your Aussie to! I'm from Brisbane, QLD, You?

Spoiler

I would not recommend a 32 inch tv... at all

because?

Spoiler

Its fine as long as it is a fairly expensive 1080 screen. A $1000 and a $500 1080 TV are not the same. When your sitting 2 feet away, you will notice. Been there and done that with a 42 however. Tried lower end and no thanks, it went right back and moved up the line to better, nice and clear. I used a 52 at one time as well but that was too big and gave me headaches.

because?

I have one as my TV, and if you look at it from a normal viewing distance for a monitor, it looks really bad.

Thanks! It was suspended due to a report/complaint but I sorted it out and It's all good now.

Sweet, your Aussie to! I'm from Brisbane, QLD, You?

I'm from none other then the famous Sydney, NSW. :)