Which server? + What to do with it?

1823alex

I was looking at more specs on the HP and it has something called iLO or Integrated Lights Out? What is that it seems like a RDP sort of thing? Is there a special program to use for that?

Also I found those prices on Craigslist in the Chicago area. I'll probably look for 2008 R2 standard, since my Dad works with that occasionally and I'll be able to have some idea of what something means but generally I can figure out how to use lots of OS and Programs. It comes as common sense for me.

@dalekphalm

I've never used or heard of iLO, but looking it up, it seems interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Integrated_Lights-Out

Basically it's a remote management protocol. It allows you to perform many different actions remotely, such as rebooting, power down, Wake-on-LAN, etc.

You would use a proprietary program (custom made via an API) or Windows Powershell to interface with it.

Other vendors (Dell, IBM, Sun, etc) offer similar technologies. That's more high level networking stuff though. You wouldn't normally use this (or encounter it) unless you were a higher level IT tech, or were working in a larger corporation with bigger server infrastructure/multiple server locations, etc.

If those prices are on Craigslist for the Product Keys for Windows Server, then just be cautious. If the package for the Server OS is sealed, then you're probably fine, but if the package is open, then the Key may have already been used. Craigslist isn't exactly well known for refunds either. Use common sense, and feel out the seller when you meet them. Also, always meet in person. Never perform a transaction online or pay in advance. I'd recommend bringing your father or another older family member. Someone who will be able to sense if the seller feels legit or scammy.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

iLO is just HP's version of Dell's iDRAC.  I hate HP servers cos their BIOS takes freaking ages to load (at least the ones we have do).  To me it is also less user friendly, and harder to configure than iDRAC.  But the HP you have is much more powerful than the Dell.  Probably host a Mumble server, but...the noise... It better be far away or at least not audible when gaming.

You can setup iLO if you want, and if you really REALLY need the server to be able to be monitored from outside the network.  Even if the server is dead, you can remote in and boot the server/perform diagnostics.

EDIT : Also, you access it through your browser.  Configure your desired IP, and if you're in the same network, just type the IP in your browser.  Login and voila.

EDIT 2 :  Depending on how old that machine is, it probably isn't 1U size.

EDIT 3 :  Just googled the model, it's a 1U size :D

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

go with the hp server and use it to monitor all in coming and outcoming traffic into your house/appartment/room/country/whatever and use it as home server at the maintime(back-ups, multimedia streaming etc etc.)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

iLO is just HP's version of Dell's iDRAC.  I hate HP servers cos their BIOS takes freaking ages to load (at least the ones we have do).  To me it is also less user friendly, and harder to configure than iDRAC.  But the HP you have is much more powerful than the Dell.  Probably host a Mumble server, but...the noise... It better be far away or at least not audible when gaming.

You can setup iLO if you want, and if you really REALLY need the server to be able to be monitored from outside the network.  Even if the server is dead, you can remote in and boot the server/perform diagnostics.

EDIT : Also, you access it through your browser.  Configure your desired IP, and if you're in the same network, just type the IP in your browser.  Login and voila.

EDIT 2 :  Depending on how old that machine is, it probably isn't 1U size.

EDIT 3 :  Just googled the model, it's a 1U size :D

Well in this case, I don't think we have to worry about the complexity of iLO vs iDRAC. This will be the OP's first server (He's 13) so I'm sure it'll be some time before he gets to that knowledge level.

1U size? Nice! We have a Dell PowerEdge 1U server at work (Runs our webserver). At least it won't be quite as bulky as a 3U or 4U server. Though that might make it louder, since the fans would be even smaller (and thus probably run even faster).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well in this case, I don't think we have to worry about the complexity of iLO vs iDRAC. This will be the OP's first server (He's 13) so I'm sure it'll be some time before he gets to that knowledge level.

1U size? Nice! We have a Dell PowerEdge 1U server at work (Runs our webserver). At least it won't be quite as bulky as a 3U or 4U server. Though that might make it louder, since the fans would be even smaller (and thus probably run even faster).

Oh definitely I'm getting a cheap one so I don't completely break something or whatever but ya. I'm hoping it will work well. and then I'll learn some cool stuff on the way.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

I'm thinking of getting a cheap server I found 2 so far in my area I won't post links but I'll post the names and specs. My question is what should I do with it? I was thinking file server, website host, VM host, and maybe a TS server for my friends cause Skype sucks.

Specs of the 2 haven't decided which one yet:

Dell PowerEdge 1850 - $100 USD - Spec Sheet

2 Single Core Xeon 2.8GHz

6gb Ram

2 x 3.5" U320 SCSI Hot Plug Drive Bays - PERC RAID 136 GB HD

CD-ROM Optical Drive

1 x 500w Power Supply

Windows Server 2003 R2 Ent Edition X64 1-4 CPU COA License Sticker

HP Proliant DL360 G5 - $250 USD - Spec Sheet

(2) Intel Xeon Quad Core 2.00GHz CPUs

12GB ECC memory

(4) 72GB SAS hot swappable 2.5" SAS hard drives

DVD-ROM

2 NIC ports & 1 iLO port

Two power supplies for redundancy

2 USB ports & 1 VGA port in back

1 USB port & 1 VGA port in front

No Operating System

Any help is appreciated.

Good grief does that dell 1850 really have single core processors?! I bought a dell 2950 that has 2 quad core processors and 8gbs of ram for $130

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

@dalekphalm do you think a DL360 G5 with 2 Quad Core 2GHz Xeons, 16gb of ram and 4 146gb drives is a good deal? and redundant power supplies? All for only $140-$150?

EDIT:

I got the server for $145. I think it was a pretty good deal.

EDIT 2:

Full Specs formatted properly:

Product Information Compact and powerful, the HP ProLiant DL360 G5 is a rack server suitable for data centers. This HP server features Dual-core Xeon processors with fully buffered DIMMs, a SAS interface, and a PCI Express card, making this rack server ideal for intensive tasks. With redundant power-supply and fans, mirrored memory/online spare memory, embedded RAID capability, and full-featured remote Lights-Out management, the HP ProLiant DL360 G5 delivers multiple layers of fault tolerance in an ultra-dense platform. The 1U rack design of this HP server enables efficient utilization of server rack and data center space available.

Product Identifiers Brand HP Model ProLiant DL360 G5 MPN 438312-001 UPC 610373371555, 882780897168  

Key Features Form Factor Rack-Mountable 1U Supported Platforms PC, Unix OS Certifications Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Novell NetWare, Red Hat Linux, SuSe Linux, Sunsoft Solaris 10, UnitedLinux Supported Operating Systems Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Novell NetWare, Red Hat Linux, SuSe Linux, Sunsoft Solaris 10 Networking Type 10/100/1000 Network Adapters x 2 Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet  

Processor Installed Processor Intel Xeon Quad Core 2.0 GHz Number of Installed Processors 2 Upgradability Upgradable Maximum Processors Quantity 2  

Memory Installed Memory 16 GB DDR2 SDRAM Maximum Supported Memory 32 GB Supported RAM Speed 667 MHz Number of Memory Slots 8 x 240 Pin DIMMs  

Motherboard Chipset Intel 5000P Input/Output Ports PS/2 Keyboard x 1, PS/2 Mouse x 1, RJ45 Lan Port x 2, Serial (RS-232) x 1, USB 1.1 x 4, iLO Port Expansion Slots PCI Express x8 x 2  

Storage Maximum Storage Capacity 876 GB Storage Controllers SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) x 6

Miscellaneous Power Supply Type Hot Plug With Optional 1+1 Redundancy Power Supply Output 700 Watt Power Configurations ACPI/APM Power Management, Wake On LAN Header Hot Swap Components Power Supply Security Features Administrator Password, Diskette I/O Control, Keyboard Password, Power-On Password, Serial Port I/O Control System Management Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) Exterior Color Grey Other Features 64bit Ready  

Dimensions Height 1.7 in.

Depth 27.8 in.

Width 16.8 in.

Weight 27.6 lb.

Item specifics Condition:

Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections. See all condition definitions

Form Factor: Rack-Mountable 1U Processor Speed: 2GHz Brand: HP Number of Processors: 2 Product Line: ProLiant DL Memory Type: DDR3 SDRAM Model: dl360 g5 Memory (RAM) Capacity: 16GB Processor Type: Xeon Quad Core

Edit 3:

Anything I should have ready for when it ships? I've got network cables a place to put it power cables anything else I should have?

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

@dalekphalm do you think a DL360 G5 with 2 Quad Core 2GHz Xeons, 16gb of ram and 4 146gb drives is a good deal? and redundant power supplies? All for only $140-$150?

EDIT:

I got the server for $145. I think it was a pretty good deal.

EDIT 2:

Full Specs formatted properly:

Product Information Compact and powerful, the HP ProLiant DL360 G5 is a rack server suitable for data centers. This HP server features Dual-core Xeon processors with fully buffered DIMMs, a SAS interface, and a PCI Express card, making this rack server ideal for intensive tasks. With redundant power-supply and fans, mirrored memory/online spare memory, embedded RAID capability, and full-featured remote Lights-Out management, the HP ProLiant DL360 G5 delivers multiple layers of fault tolerance in an ultra-dense platform. The 1U rack design of this HP server enables efficient utilization of server rack and data center space available.

Product Identifiers Brand HP Model ProLiant DL360 G5 MPN 438312-001 UPC 610373371555, 882780897168  

Key Features Form Factor Rack-Mountable 1U Supported Platforms PC, Unix OS Certifications Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Novell NetWare, Red Hat Linux, SuSe Linux, Sunsoft Solaris 10, UnitedLinux Supported Operating Systems Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Novell NetWare, Red Hat Linux, SuSe Linux, Sunsoft Solaris 10 Networking Type 10/100/1000 Network Adapters x 2 Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet  

Processor Installed Processor Intel Xeon Quad Core 2.0 GHz Number of Installed Processors 2 Upgradability Upgradable Maximum Processors Quantity 2  

Memory Installed Memory 16 GB DDR2 SDRAM Maximum Supported Memory 32 GB Supported RAM Speed 667 MHz Number of Memory Slots 8 x 240 Pin DIMMs  

Motherboard Chipset Intel 5000P Input/Output Ports PS/2 Keyboard x 1, PS/2 Mouse x 1, RJ45 Lan Port x 2, Serial (RS-232) x 1, USB 1.1 x 4, iLO Port Expansion Slots PCI Express x8 x 2  

Storage Maximum Storage Capacity 876 GB Storage Controllers SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) x 6

Miscellaneous Power Supply Type Hot Plug With Optional 1+1 Redundancy Power Supply Output 700 Watt Power Configurations ACPI/APM Power Management, Wake On LAN Header Hot Swap Components Power Supply Security Features Administrator Password, Diskette I/O Control, Keyboard Password, Power-On Password, Serial Port I/O Control System Management Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) Exterior Color Grey Other Features 64bit Ready  

Dimensions Height 1.7 in.

Depth 27.8 in.

Width 16.8 in.

Weight 27.6 lb.

Item specifics Condition:

Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections. See all condition definitions

Form Factor: Rack-Mountable 1U Processor Speed: 2GHz Brand: HP Number of Processors: 2 Product Line: ProLiant DL Memory Type: DDR3 SDRAM Model: dl360 g5 Memory (RAM) Capacity: 16GB Processor Type: Xeon Quad Core

Edit 3:

Anything I should have ready for when it ships? I've got network cables a place to put it power cables anything else I should have?

Nothing that comes to mind! Just make sure the area you put it in is well ventilated, or if you want to install it in a shelf, cabinet, or closet, you may also wish to consider dropping in some 120mm low RPM fans, just to keep air circulating inside the confined space.

Nothing that comes to mind! Just make sure the area you put it in is well ventilated, or if you want to install it in a shelf, cabinet, or closet, you may also wish to consider dropping in some 120mm low RPM fans, just to keep air circulating inside the confined space.

Alright, I'll make sure to do that, for now it's just gonna sit on top of a foam cooler from summer just to keep it off the floor.

EDIT:

Also what OS should I put on it? I'm not going to do WHS for a little while. I remember you mentioned Ubuntu, Debian (server versions of course) and there was another what was it? And which one do you think is best to run?

Alright, I'll make sure to do that, for now it's just gonna sit on top of a foam cooler from summer just to keep it off the floor.

EDIT:

Also what OS should I put on it? I'm not going to do WHS for a little while. I remember you mentioned Ubuntu, Debian (server versions of course) and there was another what was it? And which one do you think is best to run?

I'd choose Ubuntu Server if you wanted to throw Linux on there. Just make sure you get the full version that includes the Desktop Environment (Some distro's have special headless releases with no GUI, just terminal/SSH commands).

As for Windows, I'd drop the Windows Server 2008 R2 on it if you end up getting a copy.

Alternatively, check out this:

https://www.amahi.org/

It's a really cool Home Server solution for Linux. It's designed for Fedora, but also works on Ubuntu and a few other distros. You do need to sign-up, but it's free. I used it for a while but the hardware I was using was too old and wasn't supported well. Otherwise though it was really neat!

Finally, you could look at running FreeNAS and running ZFS filesystem.

-snip-

I think I'll try out Amahi.

Also I've got a Quadro FX 3400, not doing anything, could the server benefit from it or does it have the right connectors and enough room inside the DL360?

@dalekphalm

EDIT:

Would you know anything about User and Devices CALs? I think I need a device CAL but I'm not sure, and do you know if this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-Server-2012-CAL-1-Device-R18-03665-/231327741607?

pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item35dc3536a7 with the disc to install and the CAL? I really dont understand these CAL things at ALL.

EDIT 2:

It says Package Type: License + Media, I'm assuming that means it comes with the disc to install and the CAL thing?

Would highly recommend Proxmox playing around with it myself at the moment KVM made easy

I have two ubuntu server installs one for teamspeak 3 and one webserver.

I think I'll try out Amahi.

Also I've got a Quadro FX 3400, not doing anything, could the server benefit from it or does it have the right connectors and enough room inside the DL360?

@dalekphalm

EDIT:

Would you know anything about User and Devices CALs? I think I need a device CAL but I'm not sure, and do you know if this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-Server-2012-CAL-1-Device-R18-03665-/231327741607?

pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item35dc3536a7 with the disc to install and the CAL? I really dont understand these CAL things at ALL.

EDIT 2:

It says Package Type: License + Media, I'm assuming that means it comes with the disc to install and the CAL thing?

CAL's are part of the volume licensing system that Microsoft uses. Basically, some versions of Windows Server require CAL's (client access license) for each computer that connects to the server.

It's basically not enforced though, so I wouldn't worry about CAL's just yet. That ebay link is no good to you though, as it only includes a single CAL, and no license for the server OS itself.

If you're looking to buy Windows Server 2012, you'll be looking at closer to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-Server-Standard-2012-x64-with-5CAL-/161440241216?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item2596969640

That is for Standard.

This is for Server 2012 Essentials:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-Server-2012-R2-Essentials-/281479040119?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item4189754c77

(Note, this particular version is the Product Key only, does not come with install media)

Notice the price difference between Essentials and Standard.

Some of these come with CAL's included. The Standard version above includes a 5-user license. Essentials generally comes with a 25-user license.

With that in mind, you generally can ignore the CAL limits, or even get a version that includes no CAL's. For someone at home playing around, don't waste your money on them.

snip

Alright, well then. 2012 seems "expensive" what about this one for 2008 r2 standard? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Windows-Server-2008-R2-Standard-x64-5Cals-1-4CPU-ACADEMIC-EDITION-NIP-/151452388496?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item2343440c90

and should I stay away from Data Center versions or not?

If you could link one for like under $190 only 2008 WHS and up though. Thanks for all the help @dalekphalm

EDIT: Also this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-Server-2012-R2-Standard-/281479037738?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item418975432a

Alright, well then. 2012 seems "expensive" what about this one for 2008 r2 standard? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Windows-Server-2008-R2-Standard-x64-5Cals-1-4CPU-ACADEMIC-EDITION-NIP-/151452388496?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item2343440c90

If you could link one for like under $190 only 2008 WHS and up though. Thanks for all the help @dalekphalm

EDIT: Also this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-Server-2012-R2-Standard-/281479037738?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item418975432a

Yeah they can be very expensive. That bottom link seems like the best one to me. The seller has 100% feedback.

I would check to see if HP has drivers for Server 2012 listed on their site for the model you're getting though. Odds are Windows will pick up most/all of the drivers automatically, but it never hurts to check.

Have you bought anything yet? I have a legitimate Windows Home Server 2012 key which I got through university. I prefer the *nix varieties for servers, so I will probably never use it. Would you like my key?

| CPU: 2600K @ 4.5 GHz 1.325V | MB: ASUS P8Z68-V pro | GPU: EVGA GTX 480 clk 865/mem 2100 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz CL9 | HDD: Muskin Chronos Deluxe 240GB(win8) && ADATA SX900 120 GB(ubuntu 12.04) | PSU: Seasonic x760 |

Have you bought anything yet? I have a legitimate Windows Home Server 2012 key which I got through university. I prefer the *nix varieties for servers, so I will probably never use it. Would you like my key?

@1823alex I would consider this offer.

@Gob, can you please clarify which version you have? There is no such thing as "Windows Home Server 2012". The last WHS version was Windows Home Server 2011 (And they killed off the WHS brand after that). The closest equivalent is now Windows Server Essentials 2012 (The essentials version of Windows Server 2012).

- Snip -

Yeah I think I mis-typed. It is Windows Server 2012.

| CPU: 2600K @ 4.5 GHz 1.325V | MB: ASUS P8Z68-V pro | GPU: EVGA GTX 480 clk 865/mem 2100 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz CL9 | HDD: Muskin Chronos Deluxe 240GB(win8) && ADATA SX900 120 GB(ubuntu 12.04) | PSU: Seasonic x760 |

Yes I'd love that if you want just PM me the key.

No worries. With the fuck-ton of different versions Microsoft puts out over the years - some with only very slight differences in the name - it's a wonder we get them straight at all :P

Let me know how it goes :)

You should consider if you'd like to do a blog-style post (kind of like a "build log") of your initial setup, how things went, any issues you solved, etc. And then, assuming you can amass 10TB or more of raw storage, post your completed setup in the Home Server showoff thread!

Will do, I'm at work, so it will be in a few hours.

Will do, I'm at work, so it will be in a few hours.

Ok

No worries. With the fuck-ton of different versions Microsoft puts out over the years - some with only very slight differences in the name - it's a wonder we get them straight at all :P

Let me know how it goes :)

You should consider if you'd like to do a blog-style post (kind of like a "build log") of your initial setup, how things went, any issues you solved, etc. And then, assuming you can amass 10TB or more of raw storage, post your completed setup in the Home Server showoff thread!

I've been wanting to do a build log lately. I've got 2 computers but I don't feel like doing a full on build log of them. I'll definitely do a first time server build log and that.

I've been wanting to do a build log lately. I've got 2 computers but I don't feel like doing a full on build log of them. I'll definitely do a first time server build log and that.

I'd follow. Like me some servers :)

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I'd follow. Like me some servers :)

Should I start it now as a WIP build? I've got everything but the server right now.

EDIT:

And FedEx is shipping it, god I hope they don't throw it around.