Is a shock mount really necessary?

Zach's Tech Tips

Hey linus community. I'm buying a new audio setup and I would like to know if I really need a shock mount. Does the shock mount make any difference?

Thanks

Wolffangs147

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

Depends on both the mic and the desk. I'd say it wont make a lick of difference for most consumer mics and most desks.

Hey linus community. I'm buying a new audio setup and I would like to know if I really need a shock mount. Does the shock mount make any difference?

Thanks

Wolffangs147

What type of Microphone is it?

It's a rode nt usb

Depends on both the mic and the desk. I'd say it wont make a lick of difference for most consumer mics and most desks.

It's a rode nt usb

I want to use the rode nt usb and the psa1 boom arm. Does anyone know a compatible shock mount?

Not necessary, but in my case it was really bad directly connected to my desk.

Move to the other desk, and its fine now.

fae74c9cb81c29af1f7a7e0c6ae34918.jpg

It is not required, but if you hit your keys hard or tap the desk it will be heard in the receiving end.

finally worked out how to use multi quote. Do you know a compatible shock mount?

Rode SMR

Will that connect to the psa1 arm?

Yes.

Thanks for all your help

I have a solid-ass wooden desk which I am physically unable to fully lift. Because of this I don't need any of that. If you're getting a crappy desk from IKEA though... maybe you should've spent the money on a better desk instead of a shock mount. Good side effect is you end up with a nicer desk.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I have a solid-ass wooden desk which I am physically unable to fully lift. Because of this I don't need any of that. If you're getting a crappy desk from IKEA though... maybe you should've spent the money on a better desk instead of a shock mount. Good side effect is you end up with a nicer desk.

Nothing wrong with an Ikea desk... They serve their purpose at a good price point... not everyone can afford a huge solid desk from a more 'Premium' store. Also solid desks still going to have a problem with vibrations and tapping etc.

Nothing wrong with an Ikea desk... They serve their purpose at a good price point... not everyone can afford a huge solid desk from a more 'Premium' store. Also solid desks still going to have a problem with vibrations and tapping etc.

I've never had any problems with vibrations and tapping on my desk. Between my desk and my Yeti's default mic stand, I never think about these types of problems because they never show up.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

It still very much depends.  Condenser mics like the AT-2020 and ever popular Blue Yeti, you can hear the thuds when you put your arms on the table.

I've got a freakin heavy ass table that is connected to a concrete wall with a glass top and it's solid wood.  Small thuds are picked up by the vibrations it causes.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

It still very much depends.  Condenser mics like the AT-2020 and every popular Blue Yeti, you can hear the thuds when you put your arms on the table.

I've got a freakin heavy ass table that is connected to a concrete wall with a glass top and it's solid wood.  Small thuds are picked up by the vibrations it causes.

I just did a recording with the Yeti on the desk vs in the air. I mean, there is a difference (particularly when I smash my keyboard). I dunno. I can hear a difference, but I think it's not that much. I'm more worried about background noise (typically present for long periods of time and louder instead of being very situational). Although, this has been enlightening. I can afford a shock arm and whatever the heck I need to pimp out my microphone, so I might just do that (and upgrade my microphone too.) I have speakers on my desk, so I was thinking of trying to get something that cuts vibration down for both monitors, and then putting the microphone on top of the monitor.

I just did a recording with the Yeti on the desk vs in the air. I mean, there is a difference (particularly when I smash my keyboard). I dunno. I can hear a difference, but I think it's not that much. I'm more worried about background noise (typically present for long periods of time and louder instead of being very situational). Although, this has been enlightening. I can afford a shock arm and whatever the heck I need to pimp out my microphone, so I might just do that (and upgrade my microphone too.) I have speakers on my desk, so I was thinking of trying to get something that cuts vibration down for both monitors, and then putting the microphone on top of the monitor.

I move around a lot when I game.  I did a recording of just me moving around like how I usually do when gaming, and every time I put my arms on the desk, there's a soft but noticeable thud.  AT-2020 though, but it's the same thing.

I move around a lot when I game.  I did a recording of just me moving around like how I usually do when gaming, and every time I put my arms on the desk, there's a soft but noticeable thud.  AT-2020 though, but it's the same thing.

Oh. I stay almost completely still.  :lol: My hands are on the keyboard/mouse the whole time and I'm just staring at the screen.

Oh. I stay almost completely still.  :lol: My hands are on the keyboard/mouse the whole time and I'm just staring at the screen.

Yeah, I reach for the water bottle.  I change sitting positions.  I wiggle about a bit, recline on chair, get back up, etc etc xD

Is that on a boom arm without a shock mount?

Is that on a boom arm without a shock mount?

Mine's just sitting on the table :P