System for My Wife

hatrickboy09

So I would like to surprise my wife by building her a PC for her. She likes to play some games (Assassins Creed) and also would do some photo editing (Photoshop). I'm looking for a good CHEAP build to put together for her with her own purple case and what not. By cheap I mean around $500-$600. I am new to building PCs and I do not plan to OC the CPU or GPU so please don't tell me to OC anything. I just want some good advice for CPUs that would be adequate for this without the need to OC. I also want the entire build to look good b/c aesthetics are big for her (this is why I went with a purple case). 

I was looking at the i3-4160. I figure the dual cores and processing speeds should do just fine for picture editing/gaming, but I may be wrong. 

For the MOBO I want something simple without a lot of color to match the theme, but it needs to get the job done. I was thinking MSI H81M-E43

Memory is Apotop 8GB(2x4GB) to match the purple theme. 

I'm debating between a $60 120GB SSD or a $60 1TB Hard Drive for storage :/ If I did the SSD I would add more in the future b/c she needs it for photo editing.

As for the GPU I think something a little older would suffice, so maybe the R9 270x??? I can get it really cheap now that the 980 and 970 came out :)

Here is a link to the build. It includes the prices that I can purchase all the parts for, so any pricing questions please see this first. Also if you think anything is overkill please let me know so I can save some money :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/hatrickboy09/saved/YvdMnQ

Do you need an OS?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

No. I already have that covered

Assuming that you can get those components at the prices you mentioned, here is the build I would go with:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4R3pVn

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4R3pVn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($184.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($41.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Apotop 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($72.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Corsair Force LS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($100.00)

Case: BitFenix Neos White/Purple ATX Mid Tower Case  ($60.00)

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($42.00)

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($17.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $574.93

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-23 16:09 EDT-0400

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Assuming that you can get those components at the prices you mentioned, here is the build I would go with:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4R3pVn

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4R3pVn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($184.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($41.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($42.00)

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($17.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $574.93

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-23 16:09 EDT-0400

Yeah. I was thinking about going i5 instead of i3. I can get an i5-4590 from the local MicroCenter for about 175.00 after tax :D So I will probably do that instead of the 4440, unless you know some reason I should stick with the 4440 instead?

Yeah. I was thinking about going i5 instead of i3. I can get an i5-4590 from the local MicroCenter for about 175.00 after tax :D So I will probably do that instead of the 4440, unless you know some reason I should stick with the 4440 instead?

The reason why I went with the i5-4440 is because it is Haswell, and doesn't require a more expensive motherboard.  If you went with the i5-4590, you would need to get an H97 or Z97 motherboard which might end up costing more.  But, because you live near MC, it won't end up costing more, so go with the i5-4590 and pair it with an H97 motherboard.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bHMtNG

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bHMtNG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Micro Center)

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($64.78 @ Newegg)

Total: $572.73

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-23 16:19 EDT-0400

This build actually costs you $2 less, and gives you more performance.  The i3 is a great option, but you have the budget, and you live near Microcenter, so definitely go with the i5.  It will give you more performance from day one, as well as increase the longevity of the machine because you have a more powerful processor that will last longer.  This is a terrific build that is easily upgradable if you wanted to change out GPUs in the future.

Definitely start with an SSD.  Nothing, and I mean nothing gives you that "new computer, money well spent feeling" quite like an SSD as your boot drive.  As soon as you get an extra $50, buy a 1TB HDD(seagate barracuda or western digital caviar blue).  Some people will go HDD first and then upgrade to SSD later, but I recommend people to not do that because it is a hassle to transfer over all of your files, and sometimes doesn't work properly.  Go for SSD first, and HDD when you get a spare $50.

Lastly, if you can somehow scrounge up enough money for an R9 280 instead of a 270, it is a much better GPU for 1080p gaming.

The reason why I went with the i5-4440 is because it is Haswell, and doesn't require a more expensive motherboard.  If you went with the i5-4590, you would need to get an H97 or Z97 motherboard which might end up costing more.  But, because you live near MC, it won't end up costing more, so go with the i5-4590 and pair it with an H97 motherboard.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bHMtNG

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bHMtNG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Micro Center)

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($64.78 @ Newegg)

Total: $572.73

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-23 16:19 EDT-0400

This build actually costs you $2 less, and gives you more performance.  The i3 is a great option, but you have the budget, and you live near Microcenter, so definitely go with the i5.  It will give you more performance from day one, as well as increase the longevity of the machine because you have a more powerful processor that will last longer.  This is a terrific build that is easily upgradable if you wanted to change out GPUs in the future.  Definitely start with an SSD.  Nothing, and I mean nothing gives you that "new computer, money well spent feeling" quite like an SSD as your boot drive.  As soon as you get an extra $50, buy a 1TB HDD(seagate barracuda or western digital caviar blue).  Some people will go HDD first and then upgrade to SSD later, but I recommend people to not do that because it is a hassle to transfer over all of your files, and sometimes doesn't work properly.  Go for SSD first, and HDD when you get a spare $50.

Ahhh. that makes sense! Thank you!

Ahhh. that makes sense! Thank you!

Happy to help.  One last thing I want to point out is maybe splurge for the R9 280.  I know you're already estimating a low price for the R9 270, but if you can manage to get to around $150-$160 for the R9 280, it is a much better GPU for 1080p gaming, and should last you an extra year compared to the R9 270.

Happy to help. One last thing I want to point out is maybe splurge for the R9 280. I know you're already estimating a low price for the R9 270, but if you can manage to get to around $150-$160 for the R9 280, it is a much better GPU for 1080p gaming, and should last you an extra year compared to the R9 270.

I'll keep that in mind! Hopefully the price drops over the next month or two and I'll be able to do that!

I'll keep that in mind! Hopefully the price drops over the next month or two and I'll be able to do that!

Keep a look out for used cards if you aren't afraid of them.  Craigslist, eBay.  Just make sure there is either a return policy or they let you try it out before you buy.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Micro Center) 

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14CS 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($41.01 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($65.38 @ Newegg) 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($14.98 @ OutletPC) 

Case Fan: LEPA Vortex 12 PWM 63.9 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($1.99 @ NCIX US) 

Total: $669.32

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-23 18:16 EDT-0400

Changed the PSU, not for price efficiency but to keep to the colour theme. Also added white/chrome CPU cooler for the same purpose. If the money to do this is too much just disregard. Maybe you could try to find a Galaxy/KFA2 HoF graphics card on the 2nd hand market. 

Keep a look out for used cards if you aren't afraid of them.  Craigslist, eBay.  Just make sure there is either a return policy or they let you try it out before you buy.

Yeah That is how I plan to buy most of this gear, which is why I overrode the price and input my own :) But yes. a return policy/testing is a must!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Micro Center) 
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14CS 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($41.01 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($65.38 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($14.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $669.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-23 18:16 EDT-0400

Changed the PSU, not for price efficiency but to keep to the colour theme. Also added white/chrome CPU cooler for the same purpose. If the money to do this is too much just disregard. Maybe you could try to find a Galaxy/KFA2 HoF graphics card on the 2nd hand market. 

I hadn't thought to make the PSU white as well! great idea! as for the CPU cooler I will probably stick to stock for now. But also a great idea to go with the theme on that! :)

I hadn't thought to make the PSU white as well! great idea! as for the CPU cooler I will probably stick to stock for now. But also a great idea to go with the theme on that! :)

There isn't enough purple components which sucks. But if you're willing, grab yourself some purple LED strips to put in the case. Some sort of white cooler is going to be nice too, something quiet and inexpensive. I was going to recommend the white Enermax ETS-T40, but it's even more expensive than that Phanteks I recommended. And definitely look for a 2nd hand Galaxy HoF graphics card. Or as a last resort; get something cheap you can mod to be white or purple. That would be really nice. Try to find other, more inexpensive white PSU's. I know NZXT does some, not sure who else though.

There isn't enough purple components which sucks. But if you're willing, grab yourself some purple LED strips to put in the case. Some sort of white cooler is going to be nice too, something quiet and inexpensive. I was going to recommend the white Enermax ETS-T40, but it's even more expensive than that Phanteks I recommended. And definitely look for a 2nd hand Galaxy HoF graphics card. Or as a last resort; get something cheap you can mod to be white or purple. That would be really nice. Try to find other, more inexpensive white PSU's. I know NZXT does some, not sure who else though.

Yeah. the LED would probably wait. If I did anything I would do the NZXT Hue. for about $30 I can create any color she may want. 

Not sure I feel comfortable enough to mod my own card at this point :P but I'll keep an eye out for the Galaxy HoF.

As for the power supply I found a cheap SeaSonic that I think would work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151076

Yeah. the LED would probably wait. If I did anything I would do the NZXT Hue. for about $30 I can create any color she may want. 

Not sure I feel comfortable enough to mod my own card at this point :P but I'll keep an eye out for the Galaxy HoF.

As for the power supply I found a cheap SeaSonic that I think would work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151076

Lol, that's not white, it's silver! That's cheating! (i'm all for cheating! :ph34r: )

If you could find something something like that, but 450w or even better still 500w that would be perfect. Found it! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151080 if you can be bothered to do so, you could create custom sleeving for those cables, they'd be rather unsightly in this build.

By the by, this is something you should look out for http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-057-KF&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1830 UK website I know, and the brand was known as KFA2 in Europe rather than Galaxy, but this would be perfect for your build.

Lol, that's not white, it's silver! That's cheating! (i'm all for cheating! :ph34r: )

If you could find something something like that, but 450w or even better still 500w that would be perfect. Found it! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151080 if you can be bothered to do so, you could create custom sleeving for those cables, they'd be rather unsightly in this build.

By the by, this is something you should look out for http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-057-KF&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1830 UK website I know, and the brand was known as KFA2 in Europe rather than Galaxy, but this would be perfect for your build.

I like that PSU. and yes I forgot to mention that in my last post. I noticed the cables looked.... bad.... So I would end up sleeving them in white :)

That is an awesome GPU... wish it wasn't so expensive :( Hopefully the price drops a lot!

I like that PSU. and yes I forgot to mention that in my last post. I noticed the cables looked.... bad.... So I would end up sleeving them in white :)

That is an awesome GPU... wish it wasn't so expensive :( Hopefully the price drops a lot!

I just looked at HoF cards on Ebay, they're outrageously expensive! I may have a solution.

And it's this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146036 get a good but not overly expensive card (GTX 760), and use this with something like the NZXT X31 and turn your graphics card into a sealed water cooler. This is way way over the top, and probably not something you'll do to the PC before you give it to your wife. But the option is there, and it's something you can reuse when you eventually replace the GPU inside it. To that end i'd recommend something from EVGA like the GTX 760. I hear EVGA don't void the Warranty of their cards if you remove the cooler to waterblock them. Which is nice. You can also safely colour that bracket with ripples of purple or something, and it won't be damaged at all!

Much food for thought.

I just looked at HoF cards on Ebay, they're outrageously expensive! I may have a solution.

And it's this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146036 get a good but not overly expensive card (GTX 760), and use this with something like the NZXT X31 and turn your graphics card into a sealed water cooler. This is way way over the top, and probably not something you'll do to the PC before you give it to your wife. But the option is there, and it's something you can reuse when you eventually replace the GPU inside it. To that end i'd recommend something from EVGA like the GTX 760. I hear EVGA don't void the Warranty of their cards if you remove the cooler to waterblock them. Which is nice. You can also safely colour that bracket with ripples of purple or something, and it won't be damaged at all!

Much food for thought.

Oh yeah! I remember seeing that in an LTT video a while back I think... good idea! I had completely forgotten about the Kraken Kit.