Ubuntu Turns 10 Years Old with its Latest Release

They grow up so fast..*wipes tear drop*

ubuntu-baby.png

Ubuntu means "human-ness" Bet you didn't know that one..

With the release of their new version Ubuntu 14.10 officially making this friendlier Linux distribution 10 years old , Development of Ubuntu is led by UK-based company called Canonical.Ltd.

Initial release was back then released on  20 October 2004,  10 years ago

The latest version of the free desktop release is today available for download from Canonical. This release focuses on the developer experience, overall quality, and brings a number of important features and security enhancements. The Ubuntu desktop continues to be intuitive, easy to use and reliable for users all over the world

The company is clearly happy with a low-key celebration; 14.10's biggest addition is a developer tool center that makes it easier to write Android apps, also the support for zero-setup printers and 64-bit ARM chips

Get the latest version from here (safe link) : http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Clearly this marks a historical event in the hearts of techies everywhere, especially when it had to face quite a few gruesome competition, i think Ubuntu stayed true to its core & has prevailed like no other & will keep doing so :)

Bonus:

wallpaper-12.jpg

ccdf6dc794fd35c2a702751c7732b2324b665862

Links...Links everywhere..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29#History_and_development_process

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/23/ubuntu-turns-10/

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Post your thoughts & Windows rants down below.. :P

Details separate people.

Ohh ubuntu you have grown soo much aI remember you as a youngling against the apple microsoft bullies I always knew you were the best

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Good for Ubuntu. It's the most well known desktop Linux distro for many people, and to know that it's going from strength to strength is refreshing and encouraging.

I think when my PC is built I'll put Ubuntu on my laptop and see what it's like. It'll certainly give the old girl a fresh burst of energy I reckon.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Post your thoughts & Windows rants down below.. :P

I install Ubuntu once a year or so to play with.

Then I get annoyed that I don't have enough time to actually learn it to become a power user.

Then I delete that partition.

And cry.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Once you try Ubuntu its hard to not have a home server setup within a week :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Yeeeees!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Someone has to explain how to use Ubuntu to me, cause I simply don't get it.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

*switches 50gb hard drive to linux.

Ok now I trust it.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

-snip

I'm proud of you, Ubuntu. It has a honorable 200GB partition on my disk and it never let me down when I needed a place to run to when I had any problem with my Windows partition.

But... I'm still waiting for a linux distro that would make me switch to it from Windows. Although that day is closer than ever before, it still isn't the time of Linux dominating the world.

I'll gladly raise a glass for when that day gets here!

beer-cheers-toasting.jpg?t=1413760193209

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Ubuntu is still my favorite distribution but I've not been as happy with some of the newer releases though. Ubuntu 10.10 was the first release I actively used, I did try 10.04 as well. As for current releases, 14.04 is still a solid release though and I've not really been keeping up on the news for Ubuntu 14.10 but I'm going to try it soon in a VM.

Ubuntu-Maverick-Meerkat_1.jpg

Wow! looking at GNOME 2 as if it's been more than 50 years since I last used it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Still not ready.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Now, if only there was an easy way to fix those backdoors on Windows

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Now, if only there was an easy way to fix those backdoors on Windows

i guess the only way is to reverse engineer it

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I the only one that thinks of 10 years ago being from the 1990s not the early 2000s? Also Ubuntu has gone far since it started.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Live long and prosper.

Been using it for over 2 years for work on Ruby on Rails which doesn't seem to love working on Windows.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Just updated from 14.04.1 on an older computer I have laying around. Its funny that with Ubuntu it can play 1080p YouTube videos just fine, but on Windows 7 it struggled with 720p HTML5 playback. Might even make this an HTPC if I can get a decent half height single slot GPU.

cXUptYo.jpg

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Someone has to explain how to use Ubuntu to me, cause I simply don't get it.

It's pretty simple to use if you don't mind pasting commands into the terminal to initially get the software you want installed. See my thread here to understand how applications are installed through the terminal.

I gave up on Ubuntu after 10.10

It's a good time to try it again, Unity has matured a lot since 10.10.

Just updated from 14.04.1 on an older computer I have laying around. Its funny that with Ubuntu it can play 1080p YouTube videos just fine, but on Windows 7 it struggled with 720p HTML5 playback. Might even make this an HTPC if I can get a decent half height single slot GPU.

cXUptYo.jpg

I plan on staying on the 14.04.1 LTS release as 14.10 doesn't bring a whole lot new to the table. The LTS release will get updates past 14.10's deadline of April 2015.

This will surely make 2015 the year of the Linux desktop.