EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2 vs ASUS GTX 980 STRIX

Scottland567

I was originally going to buy the EVGA but my the retailer has just run out.  I am wondering if I should wait for the EVGA or not.

If you have any suggestions I would very much appreciate them.

Thankyou, Scott.

the gigabyte g1 gaming or just plain old windforce version

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

The strix cooler apparently has problems cooling the VRMs (they get 80-95 *C everytime you game) so i'd buy an EVGA model or a gigabyte one (gigabyte has one of the best gtx 970/980 coolers for the price).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

The strix cooler apparently has problems cooling the VRMs (they get 80-95 *C everytime you game) so i'd buy an EVGA model or a gigabyte one (gigabyte has one of the best gtx 970/980 coolers for the price).

How much cooler does the gygabyte G1 run.  Its a bit more expensive but not out of the question.

How much cooler does the gygabyte G1 run.  Its a bit more expensive but not out of the question.

Very COOL (under 70 *C under 100% FULL LOAD, fans @ 50-60ish%). VRMs max out at 82, which is actually very good (in comparison to all the other 980 models)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I was originally going to buy the EVGA but my the retailer has just run out.  I am wondering if I should wait for the EVGA or not.

If you have any suggestions I would very much appreciate them.

Thankyou, Scott.

Wait! The EVGA GTX 980 w/ ACX 2.0 is great. People should shut up about the G1, it's not the only good cooler out there.

http://www.overclockers.com/evga-gtx980-superclocked-acx2.0-graphics-card-review

The Strix has disappointing cooling performance for all the heat pipes it has IMO. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I am actually very happy with my 980 Strix.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Just got my Evga superclocked Gtx 980 yesterday. I'm happy with it so far. If I didn't get this, I was going to go with the Gigabyte G1 gaming card. It's like $50 more then the Evga model.

Still waiting for more reviews for the GTX 980 ACX 2.0 SC Version but so far JayZTwoCents and Overclockers.uk have positive reviews up. Noise is allegedly also managed better compared to the different cooler design with the heat pipes (which was intentional, I know) on the GTX 970.

Really like the looks of the card, too. Looking forward to buying one in the near future, if availability gets better.

Basically the g1 are cherry picked. So you buying a card that everyone has a decent percent chance of getting by buying normal models

• 3 weeks later...

The VRMs on the ASUS STRIX video cards are designed to operate at 100c and above, so it hitting 95'c not a problem at all.

I got dual 980 STRIX SLI, can run them both with stock coolers at 100% and temps hit 78-79.

If I crank up the fans in gpu tweek they are stable at 64-66.

this is with a 120mhz oc and +10 mV

Most impressed by the extra bracing the STRIX has compared to my old cards, there is no card sag anymore.

A little knowledge is very dangerous
CPU: I7 6700K CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H110i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero GPU: 2x Asus GTX980 STRIX RAM: 4x4 (16GB) Corsair DDR4 Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 750GB SSD PSU: Corsair HX1000W Displays: 2xAsus PB287Q (4k) 2x1080 Monitors Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Mouse: 1xRazor Naga Elite 2x Razor Naga Sound: Asus Essence STX, Quad Elite Pre Amp, Quad 909 Power Amp, Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers Headphones: Logitech G930, Sennheiser Momentum Black Microphone: Rode NT1-A, Behringer Xenyx 802, Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro EQ OS: Windows 7 64bit