In Need of A Proper Quality Headset

Red0x

Well, I was hoping everybody here would learn something... but I guess you don't care to. I like to think of it this way: Take time to fix problems now so in the future you can always be more right.

Well i actually learned something. This 

Impedance is only part of the equation on how hard a headphone is to drive.

Sorry if i sounded douchey. 

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Well i actually learned something. This 

Sorry if i sounded douchey. 

No worries.

Specifically, what we want to know is the sensitivity and the impedance together. (The hardest to drive headphone currently in production is like 60ohms impedance IIRC!) Asus makes many claims about many things. Nobody has tested their claims, and their implementation is based on a normal Realtek chip. We could actually measure the motherboard's capabilities step-by-step but nobody with the tools has bothered. A lot of it depends on what type of music you listen to (compressed modern pop music or audiophile jazz) and how loud you want your music. Although I do admit, typically for low to medium price ranges, stick with onboard unless you hear problems in your music. A few guys told me they had issues with the Game Zero (another Sennheiser Headset) with their onboard audio. I'm a little skeptical, but it's not totally ridiculous.

However, a barebones $50 amp should be able to hit the headset to obscene loudness without problems. So even if you hear problems in your music, the fix isn't that too far away.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

No worries.

Specifically, what we want to know is the sensitivity and the impedance together. (The hardest to drive headphone currently in production is like 60ohms impedance IIRC!) Asus makes many claims about many things. Nobody has tested their claims, and their implementation is based on a normal Realtek chip. We could actually measure the motherboard's capabilities step-by-step but nobody with the tools has bothered. A lot of it depends on what type of music you listen to (compressed modern pop music or audiophile jazz) and how loud you want your music. Although I do admit, typically for low to medium price ranges, stick with onboard unless you hear problems in your music. A few guys told me they had issues with the Game Zero (another Sennheiser Headset) with their onboard audio. I'm a little skeptical, but it's not totally ridiculous.

However, a barebones $50 amp should be able to hit the headset to obscene loudness without problems. So even if you hear problems in your music, the fix isn't that too far away.

When I listen to music I don't want it louder than still being able to have a conversation with someone on Skype. If that actually gives any indication of the general sound level :P Also I listen to almost every kind of music.

But I must confess I'm very confused now. Don't know what headsets are fine or not with the onboard audio on the Asus Z87-Pro now.

Side note: Also saw a review about the G4ME ZERO's where the guy said it was hard to 'drive' them with his onboard sound.

When I listen to music I don't want it louder than still being able to have a conversation with someone on Skype. If that actually gives any indication of the general sound level :P Also I listen to almost every kind of music.

But I must confess I'm very confused now. Don't know what headsets are fine or not with the onboard audio on the Asus Z87-Pro now.

Side note: Also saw a review about the G4ME ZERO's where the guy said it was hard to 'drive' them with his onboard sound.

If you pick up the Hyper X Cloud, I can tell you that on my Asus Z87-A it sounds great. The Pro is basically the same thing just with some other improvements in different places if I remember correctly. I still recommend you go for the more expensive gear if you can, but I can at least help you out with my personal experience :P

Also they have plenty of volume headway. Volume in Windows is about 20% with the in-line volume maxed out for the headset, and that's objectively pretty loud.

Git Gud.

If you pick up the Hyper X Cloud, I can tell you that on my Asus Z87-A it sounds great. The Pro is basically the same thing just with some other improvements in different places if I remember correctly. I still recommend you go for the more expensive gear if you can, but I can at least help you out with my personal experience :P

Also they have plenty of volume headway. Volume in Windows is about 20% with the in-line volume maxed out for the headset, and that's objectively pretty loud.

Yeah HyperX Cloud will definitely be my "backup" if I can't settle on one of the Sennheiser ones. Seems like a really great headset compared to the competitors in the same price class.

I think given how quietly you listen to music, Game Zeros should be fine.

I'm kind of unsure... I don't want to buy such an expensive headset without being sure that it'll work fine. If my volume decides whether the headset will be fine or not can't I make some kind of test to see the dB level?

I'm kind of unsure... I don't want to buy such an expensive headset without being sure that it'll work fine. If my volume decides whether the headset will be fine or not can't I make some kind of test to see the dB level?

Extra 3db SPL is going to double the amount of power you're going to need. I can't tell you for sure because motherboard  companies never post any serious specs of their onboard sound. Unless you have the equipment, we're never going to know. I can calculate the power required all day but unless I know what the mobo can deliver it's a pointless exercise. It should work. If not, $50 fix later. A person or two have done this before, Zero on mobo.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Extra 3db SPL is going to double the amount of power you're going to need. I can't tell you for sure because motherboard  companies never post any serious specs of their onboard sound. Unless you have the equipment, we're never going to know. I can calculate the power required all day but unless I know what the mobo can deliver it's a pointless exercise. It should work. If not, $50 fix later. A person or two have done this before, Zero on mobo.

That's unfortunate. I feel like it might be too much of a risk for the price  :( I may have to settle for something else.

I know this thread kind of died, I just wanted to end it by talking about one last thing: 

First: I think I might actually go for the G4ME ONE's since I think I'll prefer the open design.

Second: If I do run into trouble with the sound, are there any relatively cheap sound cards that would go well with the headset?

I know this thread kind of died, I just wanted to end it by talking about one last thing: 

First: I think I might actually go for the G4ME ONE's since I think I'll prefer the open design.

Second: If I do run into trouble with the sound, are there any relatively cheap sound cards that would go well with the headset?

Is $50 cheap to you?

Is $50 cheap to you?

Sure sounds fine I think. Also I want to make a small correction. I meant sound card/amp (just whatever might be necessary).

Sure sounds fine I think. Also I want to make a small correction. I meant sound card/amp (just whatever might be necessary).

Then you're fine.

$50 for Syba amp/dac. The overkill option is $100 Schiit Magni which can power far beyond that headset. Shouldn't come to either of those options, should be fine out of the box.

Note: If you come back and tell me for example, that 'the bass is lacking' I will be very suspicious about whether you are succumbing to expectation bias, for example.

Then you're fine.

$50 for Syba amp/dac. The overkill option is $100 Schiit Magni which can power far beyond that headset.

Note: If you come back and tell me for example, that 'the bass is lacking' I will be very suspicious about whether you are succumbing to expectation bias, for example.

Well I'm pretty much used to the typical gamer headset quality so I don't really have any expectations other than maybe what I've been told. The best headset I have ever owned is probably the Razer Carcharias so I doubt a Sennheiser headset would disappoint compared to that :D

Anyhow your help has been very appreciated, thanks a lot!