In Need of A Proper Quality Headset

Red0x

Hello Linus Forum! I'm currently using the Razer Kraken Pro headset and find them very uncomfortable and the microphone is pretty bad as well to my knowledge. I always get lost in the sea of headsets whenever I'm looking for a new one since there's so many and I don't have much knowledge about audio in general and I hope someone is willing to give me some tips. I also have an Asus Z87-Pro mobo with ALC1150 onboard audio, if that even matters to whether a USB soundcard headset is an upgrade or not.

I'm looking for a headset with the purpose of primarily gaming while talking with friends on Skype, but I also use YouTube a lot and also listen to quite a bit of music. It also needs to have a build-in microphone with good quality, because I just don't have space for a seperate one on the desk. Last note: Leather/Cloth and Open/Closed doesn't really matter too much to me.

The problem is that I find so many different ones and end up not knowing if some of the headsets, I find, are actually inferior to others in the same price class or have maybe been replaced by an update. Here's my list of headsets so far:

Astro A40 (I'm not even sure this competes with some of the other ones?)

Logitech G35

Corsair Vengeance 1500
HyperX Cloud
Audio Technica ATH-AG1
Sennheiser Game Zero/One
Sennheiser PC 363D

I know that for example the Audio Technica and Sennheiser ones are better than the cheaper headsets on the list, but I just want to be able to cross as many headsets off the list so I have an easier time choosing how much I want to spend while knowing some of the clear differences between them.
I hope someone can help me out with some tips on what/how I should choose.

You could look into Mod mic 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Personally I use v-moda cross fades with a boompro mic.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

@Red0x

Beyerdynamics MMX300, Ordering mine on saturday!

Or you could buy some great headphones and buy a Mod Mic  (or a usb Condender mic like an AT2020, Blue Yeti etc)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

@Red0x

Beyerdynamics MMX300, Ordering mine on saturday!

Or you could buy some great headphones and buy a Mod Mic  (or a usb Condender mic like an AT2020, Blue Yeti etc)

I was actually going to have them on my list as well, but I couldn't seem to find a good place to potentially buy them here in Denmark.

Get a modmic and headphones(if you can), there's no reason to spend money on headsets that are cheaper headphones with mics attached to them, when you could buy those headphones in the first place, and add a modmic onto them and save money.

For instance, beyerdynamic mmx300 is just basically just a dt770 with a mic slapped on it basically, yet they charge 300-400$ for it.

You could instead, buy dt770 + a mod mic, for around $250. 

If you can't do any of those things, hyperx clouds are the best at not ripping you off IMO.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

You could look into Mod mic 

That is one option I guess. I'll take a look into it and see if I can find a good site selling that in Denmark.

Well I am not certain if I can find a proper store/website in Denmark with these microphones, so I might have to go with an all in one-solution.

Then, I would go with Hyper Cloud if you want to spend less, Senn Game Zero if you wanna spend more from your list. Even with Lay's original example, the MMX300, an extra $50 for the mic, not TOO bad. Maybe you can get it used on Amazon to lower the cost.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Then, I would go with Hyper Cloud if you want to spend less, Senn Game Zero if you wanna spend more from your list. Even with Lay's original example, the MMX300, an extra $50 for the mic, not TOO bad. Maybe you can get it used on Amazon to lower the cost.

Alright, thank you for the input, very much appreciated :)

BTW is "Game One/Zero" just a newer version of the PC 363D? Because they are priced the exact same and look the same as well.

Alright, thank you for the input, very much appreciated :)

BTW is "Game One/Zero" just a newer version of the PC 363D? Because they are priced the exact same and look the same as well.

They are the successor to the pc350se and 360. Though i don't see the reason to spend the extra money on the game zero. They don't really bring anything new to the table.

I own the pc350se and I love them for counter strike go. So I can recommend them. But the 360 is also awesome if you like open designed headets.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Just got the Hyper X Cloud and I'm really loving it.

I got it because I needed one pair of headphones for my phone and for gaming, and since the cables and mic are all modular this seems like it's the best tool for the job. Can't complain about sound at all. Check out Linus's review of it. As far as I can tell, the hype is justified.

Git Gud.

They are the successor to the pc350se and 360. Though i don't see the reason to spend the extra money on the game zero. They don't really bring anything new to the table.

I own the pc350se and I love them for counter strike go. So I can recommend them. But the 360 is also awesome if you like open designed headets.

I can't seem to find the 360's (probably replaced by 363D). However I am a bit worried about the G4ME ZERO/ONE's high Ohm. Watched a review where the guy said that without an amp the bass is kind of meh, specially when listening to music, and I don't believe I have that included on my mobo.

Taking everything you guys have said into account it'll probably be one tof these (if I do go for a headset and not seperate headphones and mic):

HyperX Cloud

Sennheiser 350SE

Sennheiser 363D

Sennheiser G4ME ZERO

Sennheiser G4ME ONE

The sennheiser pc350se is 150 ohm which will require a higher quality sound card either on your motherboard or a dac/amp combo. What motherboard do you own? I would say go for the pc350se, pc360 or the Cloud of you want something a bit cheaper.

H558 and a mod mic would also be a good option for fps games.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Just got the Hyper X Cloud and I'm really loving it.

I got it because I needed one pair of headphones for my phone and for gaming, and since the cables and mic are all modular this seems like it's the best tool for the job. Can't complain about sound at all. Check out Linus's review of it. As far as I can tell, the hype is justified.

Yeah I did see his review they look pretty good, but I am feeling like I'm slightly weighing more towards the more expensive headsets. I got some money for my birthday for exactly this.But I am still undecided ;)

The sennheiser pc350se is 150 ohm which will require a higher quality sound card either on your motherboard or a dac/amp combo. What motherboard do you own? I would say go for the pc350se, pc360 or the Cloud of you want something a bit cheaper.

H558 and a mod mic would also be a good option for fps games.

I have the Asus Z87 Pro (Realtek ALC1150) which leads me to believe 363D might be the best option of the Sennheiser headsets for my mobo since it includes a USB soundcard.

I have the Asus Z87 Pro (Realtek ALC1150) which leads me to believe 363D might be the best option of the Sennheiser headsets for my mobo since it includes a USB soundcard.

It comes with 7.1 which is not worth the extra money. Never. I don't think the sound card would actually do anything nor do I think it has a amp build in.

I'm pretty sure Asus provide 600 ohm headphone amp on their on board sound card.

It comes with 7.1 which is not worth the extra money. Never. I don't think the sound card would actually do anything nor do I think it has a amp build in.

I'm pretty sure Asus provide 600 ohm headphone amp on their on board sound card.

Would be nice if the Asus mobos do. Otherwise I'm almost out of options concerning Sennheiser headsets since the high amounts of Ohm would kind of ruin the bass.

Yeah I did see his review they look pretty good, but I am feeling like I'm slightly weighing more towards the more expensive headsets. I got some money for my birthday for exactly this.But I am still undecided ;)

If you have buttloads of extra cash, then by all means get something better. The HyperX Cloud is just a great headset for a fairly low price. U can't go wrong with the Sennheisers though :D

Git Gud.

I seems like the OPEN cup headsets have less ohm than the closed ones actually:

350SE: 150 Ohm

ZERO: 150 Ohm

363D: 32 Ohm

ONE: 50 Ohm

The 363D's also list 2k Ohm on the Microphone for some reason, I don't know what that's about or what effect it has.

I seems like the OPEN cup headsets have less ohm than the closed ones actually:

350SE: 150 Ohm

ZERO: 150 Ohm

363D: 32 Ohm

ONE: 50 Ohm

The 363D's also list 2k Ohm on the Microphone for some reason, I don't know what that's about or what effect it has.

You cannot figure out how hard the headphone is to drive with just impedance figures alone.

No no no no no no no no no no nonononononononono.

You are falling for marketing tricks. Again, impedance alone is not enough to tell anybody how hard a headphone is to drive. Asus' 600 ohm figure is dishonest and almost legally enforceable tbh.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

You cannot figure out how hard the headphone is to drive with just impedance figures alone.

No no no no no no no no no no nonononononononono.

You are falling for marketing tricks. Again, impedance alone is not enough to tell anybody how hard a headphone is to drive. Asus' 600 ohm figure is dishonest and almost legally enforceable tbh.

I didn't say it actually could power 600 ohm headphones, but more that it would be good enough for a 150 ohm headset.

I didn't say it actually could power 600 ohm headphones, but more that it would be good enough for a 150 ohm headset.

You said Asus provides a 600ohm headphone amp, in other words you basically said it can drive a 600 ohm headphone.

Apart from that, I still have beef:

1. Even if that's not what you meant, you did not bother to specify and that is very easily read by others as an amp that does "600 ohms".

2. Impedance is only part of the equation on how hard a headphone is to drive. This idea misconception is one of the most common ones I've seen (maybe #2 if not #1), although thankfully it doesn't annoy me quite as much as some other ones. Still, the more everybody knows, the better off we're all going to be.

3. No, it's not necessarily and evidently true that Asus' onboard is enough to power an expensive Sennheiser headset. I will admit that I personally lean on the side of "don't even bother with anything other than onboard" for this one. But you can't just say that Asus claims 600 ohms and since 150 is far lower number than 600 it must be OK. That's not how it works.

4. We don't call onboard a sound card. This was extra confusing to me considering the post you were quoting in the OP, who was also talking about sound cards.

You said Asus provides a 600ohm headphone amp, in other words you basically said it can drive a 600 ohm headphone.

Apart from that, I still have beef:

1. Even if that's not what you meant, you did not bother to specify and that is very easily read by others as an amp that does "600 ohms".

2. Impedance is only part of the equation on how hard a headphone is to drive.

3. No, it's not necessarily and evidently true that Asus' onboard is enough to power an expensive Sennheiser headset. I will admit that I personally lean on the side of "don't even bother with anything other than onboard" for this one. But you can't just say that Asus claims 600 ohms and since 150 is far lower number than 600 it must be OK. That's not how it works.

4. We don't call onboard a sound card. This was extra confusing to me considering the post you were quoting in the OP, who was also talking about sound cards.

Okay you're right and i was wrong. Fine now?

Okay you're right and i was wrong. Fine now?

Well, I was hoping everybody here would learn something... but I guess you don't care to. I like to think of it this way: Take time to fix problems now so in the future you can always be more right.