4k vs 144hz 1080p

Chelsi_Gamer

Okay so definitely a misleading title. I currently have a 1440p monitor and my 2 970's run everything great. The problem is 4k won't run that great on 2 970's. At least not 8XAA ultra 60 fps. So I'm considering getting a secondary monitor instead for fps/rts games. My 580 didn't do great at 1440p so I'd hate to be in that boat again.

What would you do with your current monitor? Switch between the two for different types of games? 

If you're playing at 4k you should not use AA.

Even at 1440p 8xAA is overkill, you can turn it down to 4x or 2x and not notice a big difference.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4k at anything above 4x msaa you cant tell even 2x msa is fine because of the pixel density

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

you don't need much if any AA at 4K

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

If you're playing at 4k you should not use AA.

Even at 1440p 8xAA is overkill, you can turn it down to 4x or 2x and not notice a big difference.

*offtopic You finally changed that damn sideways gif , it was giving me the OCDs 

And true , you need max 2x AA @ 4k

For fps games get the 1080p 144hz ( y not get the ROG swift if you have the money , you'll get 144fps on maybe high settings in bf4 and infinite fps in CSGO )

*offtopic You finally changed that damn sideways gif , it was giving me the OCDs 

And true , you need max 2x AA @ 4k

For fps games get the 1080p 144hz ( y not get the ROG swift if you have the money , you'll get 144fps on maybe high settings in bf4 and infinite fps in CSGO )

lol yeah i kinda forgot about it :D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What about overclocking my 1440p monitor? I read it can hit 120Hz.

Okay so definitely a misleading title. I currently have a 1440p monitor and my 2 970's run everything great. The problem is 4k won't run that great on 2 970's. At least not 8XAA ultra 60 fps. So I'm considering getting a secondary monitor instead for fps/rts games. My 580 didn't do great at 1440p so I'd hate to be in that boat again.

As people have pointed out. You really don't need much or any AA with native 4k resolution. It's interesting how you got a nice setup and you haven't figured it out :).

Anyways if you want to test or try a "ghetto" way to get 4k. You could downsample 4k resolution to your 1440p. It'll kinda work the same way and the gpu load would also be the same as 4k.

Also you can try the new Nvidia technology's dsr which is also kinda like the same concept. You can go to control panel and set the gpu to downsample from any resolution you want. in this case 4x which is 4k...