Gaming on a laptop with an external GFX Card!

This is nothing new.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

another one post wonder...

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Although yes we have the technology to do it. The driver support and performance is garbage. I don't recommend forking the cash out on it. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

I am very surprised that this is a thing lol

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

I am very surprised that this is a thing lol

I wouldn't say it's a "thing" unless people actually use it. :P

The big problem is that its performance is like PCI-E 1x or 2-x, depending on the laptop and hardware you buy.

Already Thunderbolt is PCI-E 4x. So using that is a complete waste. Sure you can put a GeForce 730... but yay.. marginally faster than Intel offering.

Oh yeah...! Gonna hook up a 980 to my Core 2 Duo laptop :D

just kidding

you really had me going there for a second....

I'm pretty sure this has been possible for over a year now.

I've been looking for a product like this!

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I'm pretty sure this has been possible for over a year now.

I knew this hack since 2008. It was more elegant back then, where it used the ExpressCard 54 connector, if your laptop had it (most business class laptop), so it was a card that you slide in, with a cable connecting that external GPU unit.

It looks tiny, it wouldn't cause any damage to include a box or something for the GPU.

Don't get mad, get even...

I knew this hack since 2008. It was more elegant back then, where it used the ExpressCard 54 connector, if your laptop had it (most business class laptop), so it was a card that you slide in, with a cable connecting that external GPU unit.

Yeah I remember seeing videos 1-2 years ago but couldn't be sure and I didn't want to misinform anyone so I played it safe. Surprising to know that it's been possible for so long though. You would have thought after 5+ years it would be somewhat usable and decent.

Yeah I remember seeing videos 1-2 years ago but couldn't be sure and I didn't want to misinform anyone so I played it safe. Surprising to know that it's been possible for so long though. You would have thought after 5+ years it would be somewhat usable and decent.

The problem is that you need PCI-E 8x at least. PCI-E was not designed for long distance. So a cable is a no go. let alone you'll need a very long port on the side of the laptop. The closest we have is thunderbolt, but that is still not fast enough, and has overhead.

The problem is that you need PCI-E 8x at least. PCI-E was not designed for long distance. So a cable is a no go. let alone you'll need a very long port on the side of the laptop. The closest we have is thunderbolt, but that is still not fast enough, and has overhead.

I thought as much. Not to mention you'd have to carry around a huge ass graphics card and probably a power cable which kinda defeats the purpose of a laptop IMO.

I thought as much. Not to mention you'd have to carry around a huge ass graphics card and probably a power cable which kinda defeats the purpose of a laptop IMO.

heh yea! and a monitor... as the video output doesn't go on your laptop image.. it would need a a cable that goes back in to the laptop. Too complicated.

At least for now.

heh yea! and a monitor... as the video output doesn't go on your laptop image.. it would need a a cable that goes back in to the laptop. Too complicated.

At least for now.

Yea, i guess it would be impossible to output to the laptop monitor?

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black