Better rated android phone than the One M8...?

KemoKa

My old man has just asked me for advice about a phone

Brace Yourselves

He's been dithering about whether to break the Apple mold he's fit since years ago for the past while and I suggested the One M8 (android, obviously) to him, posting a link to Linus's video as well. After a while he has now asked me, in light of the whole Apple Pay thing and how seamless iOS 8 is with OSX 10.10, if there is a phone already out or coming in the near future that is or will be more awesome than the One M8. He thinks the M8 is getting a bit outdated for some reason, and since I am not the biggest expert or swot on phone news, I came here...

...help?

OnePlus One. The only phone I would recommend or the Oppo N1.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Sounds like if I were him I'd just stick to an iPhone. They're great for people that just want a nice simple phone, I'm guessing your dad isn't particularly snappy if he asked for help choosing one.

M8 is also a nice phone if he's willing to leave the apple ecosystem and he may end up regretting if he has a mac too.

The only phone I'd currently consider over the One M8 is the Nexus 6, and that's quite expensive. Keep in mind I'm an Android die-hard and iOS is off the table for me, though.

If there's one thing Apple does well—for better or worse—its seamless integration with their ecosystem. If that's something that interests him, maybe he'd be happiest just sticking with an iPhone.

Sounds like if I were him I'd just stick to an iPhone. They're great for people that just want a nice simple phone, I'm guessing your dad isn't particularly snappy if he asked for help choosing one.

M8 is also a nice phone if he's willing to leave the apple ecosystem and he may end up regretting if he has a mac too.

He wants to leave apple, especially since Softbank just acquired Sprint, and he's not completely clueless about UIs and things, either. I think he's more than willing to switch, just so long as he knows what the best phone (That he can actually buy - Oneplus One is out.) is

He wants to leave apple, especially since Softbank just acquired Sprint, and he's not completely clueless about UIs and things, either. I think he's more than willing to switch, just so long as he knows what the best phone (That he can actually buy - Oneplus One is out.) is

How is the OnePlus One out? That is pretty much the best phone for the money. Plus, soon you won't need an invite. So you can only pay 300-350 for a freaking awesome phone (unless it's not available in Japan).

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Then either the M8 or the Nexus 6. I'd personally go with the N6 because vanilla android is my choice.

How is the OnePlus One out? That is pretty much the best phone for the money. Plus, soon you won't need an invite. So you can only pay 300-350 for a freaking awesome phone (unless it's not available in Japan).

do you have a date or a rough estimate because the dude's not gonna wait for very long.

do you have a date or a rough estimate because the dude's not gonna wait for very long.

like the end of this month.

EDIT: It's actually the 27th. Check their site.

like the end of this month.

EDIT: It's actually the 27th. Check their site.

For one hour though. They'll go right back to the invite system once that hour is up. 

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

For one hour though. They'll go right back to the invite system once that hour is up. 

I doubt it would be just an hour.

Oneplus 1

Nexus 6

Z3

Note 4

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'd believe it. Nothing builds hype better than being a tease. Look at Google Glass, or all the "accidental" iPhone leaks.

my contract runs out in Q1 and im hoping that there are some 20nm refreshes of android flagships then, i want an M8 but i don't want to buy a 28nm phone and then have 20 release and loose out on an hour of battery life and extra performance

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Well, that's what their website says, so....

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Nexus 6, S5, Note 4, Moto X 2nd gen?

Even though I am not an Android guy, I think I would still prefer the Nexus 6, since it's pure Android.

Honestly just stick tot the iPhone 6+. He will dislike Android if he isnt tech savvy. If he is tech savvy ( knows how to do stuff ) i would say the xperia z3 would be the ideal follow up.

Interested in Business and Technology

Sony Xperia Z3/compact, Oneplus One (it's really easy to get an invite to be honest, if you know what you're doing on the OPO forums you can get one in no time. For example, I could go on there now and I'd have an invite in about 1 hour) or the Nexus 6 for the best specs. Otherwise the one M8 or Moto X for the best design IMO.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Honesty, you will want to get an android phone that will be updated fast like a GPE, Nexus, Moto X, or some other phone that can be rooted and have its bootloader unlocked. Otherwise the phones will get outdated fast.

Honestly just stick tot the iPhone 6+. He will dislike Android if he isnt tech savvy. If he is tech savvy ( knows how to do stuff ) i would say the xperia z3 would be the ideal follow up.

That's not necessarily true. My mom, who is not at all tech savvy, has no problems with Android. In fact, she dislikes iPhones now that she is used to Android. She misses the back button.

Just because you can do lots of neat stuff with Android doesn't mean you have to.

OP the M8 was announced in March so the M9 will probably be announced then as well. That's 5 months left. Other manufacturers probably won't release anything until then either. The Z4 will be like summer 2015. The Galaxy S 6 will be February at earliest (so 4 months left).

Other phones you might want to consider:

OnePlus One

Samsung Note 4

Nexus 6

Xperia Z3

I would actually recommend any Samsung devices because they are designed to be more friendly to use than other Android devices. Any phone with a gigantic display would be good for our parents because people tend to have poorer vision as they age and a big display with big buttons would help with that.

That's not necessarily true. My mom, who is not at all tech savvy, has no problems with Android. In fact, she dislikes iPhones now that she is used to Android. She misses the back button.

Just because you can do lots of neat stuff with Android doesn't mean you have to.

OP the M8 was announced in March so the M9 will probably be announced then as well. That's 5 months left. Other manufacturers probably won't release anything until then either. The Z4 will be like summer 2015. The Galaxy S 6 will be February at earliest (so 4 months left).

Other phones you might want to consider:

OnePlus One

Samsung Note 4

Nexus 6

Xperia Z3

Your mom is one of a kind.

Interested in Business and Technology