4K Survey and Discussion for Uni Assesment

SilenT_LobsteR

Hey guys, 

I'm doing a research paper on the relevance of 4K at the moment and whether it's worth it for content creators and movie studios to invest in 4K. We've seen a lot of youtube channels moving over to 4K but i'm looking to see both why and if they feel it's worth the extra cost, processing power, storage space etc 

There's no doubt we're moving past 1080p, while 1440p has been a reasonably popular in Monitors, for a long time 1080p has been the highest we could get in a TV until now with 4K and higher. 

If you could take 2 minutes to fill out this quick 10 question survey that would be amazing! As well as any discussion you have can be placed down below. 

I'm not making money off this, it's for a University assignment and as such any comments you give here may be referred to in my paper. Serious answers only please  :D 

Thanks for your time!!!

LINK: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VHGVZD9

Project: Rock Lobster = Completed Click for Build Log 
INTEL CORE I7 4790K @4.6ghz | 2 x Windforce R9 290's CF | CORSAIR H110i |Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD| WD 3TB Green, Seagate 2TB |

|Asus Maximus 7 Ranger  | Windows 7 | Corsair 450D Case |

Will do, sir!

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Done :)

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

All completed, best of luck with the assignment. 

Done, I definitely think 4k should be used by all professional content creators (like LMG, MKBHD, etc) not only to give people who already have 4k monitors higher quality, but to pave the way for the future standard of 4k.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Done, Hope it helps. Anything for a fellow sydney person ;)

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

You guys are legends! Wait until my lecturer sees how many results i collected in one day ahahaha

Thanks again, means a lot!

INTEL CORE I7 4790K @4.6ghz | 2 x Windforce R9 290's CF | CORSAIR H110i |Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD| WD 3TB Green, Seagate 2TB |

How do you sample your responders? I've already answered it btw. :D

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

All done

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Done. My thoughts on 4k, as someone who had a 4k monitor for a few weeks and still decided to "downgrade" to 1440p, basically are:

The panel you get with "affordable" TN 4k monitors is usually not that great. I do not edit videos or pictures for a living, but I still enjoy the benefits of a nice IPS/PLS or VA screen over TN. More accurate and more life-like colours and especially better viewing angles! With a 28'' monitor you get very noticeable colour shift even if you stare straight at it, something that I don't want to accept for my everyday work.

Text scaling.... 4k at 28'' was just too small for me, I couldn't read comfortably without some kind of scaling. The extra space seems awesome at first, but in the end you have to give it up again and you end up with blurry text in applications that don't do scaling very well. That really put me off.

Gaming obviously was a concern as well, driving games at 4k is insanely taxing and you basically need 2 high end GPUs to play modern games with high settings at that resolution.

I think those were my main issues, I'll edit the post if I remember something else.

Answered, and I gave a lengthy piece of my mind as to why 4k is not quite the best step in terms of benefits for society

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

All done, best of luck. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Done, hope it helps.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Thanks guys, survey is live for another 5 hours or so, so if your interested in having your say please click the link =) 

Thanks guys, survey is live for another 5 hours or so, so if your interested in having your say please click the link =)

Survey completed! :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

@Silent_LobsteR, I hope your research paper goes well. I think that we would all love to

know your results and what your lecturer said about your paper, so please report back! :)

Also, I'm glad to see yet ANOTHER fellow Aussie on here. We need all the Aussies we can get!

There's a secret plan of a complete Aussie take over of this Linus Tech Tips forum, sssshhhh, don't tell anyone. JK :P

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator