PCI Legacy VS PCI-E 1x

Skiiwee29
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

Ended up selecting THIS for my purchase. Thank you guys for the input. 

Is there any performance difference in them when it comes to NIC Cards for gaming/streaming bandwidth issues? Switching my on-board killer NIC to a discrete Intel NIC and my board only has PCI-E 1x slots. Not 100% certain how.. or if this will affect its performance. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Gen 2 PCIe has max 500 Megabytes per second speed on 1x and I doubt you have internet like that :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Is there any performance difference in them when it comes to NIC Cards for gaming/streaming bandwidth issues? Switching my on-board killer NIC to a discrete Intel NIC and my board only has PCI-E 1x slots. Not 100% certain how.. or if this will affect its performance. 

Unless you have a gigabit connection and the sites you go on saturate that connection somehow it shouldn't matter.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

naw, no gig connection here.. only a 60mbps cable broadband. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

All of those expansion slots will provide enough bandwidth for 1Gbps. PCI goes from 1Gbps to 4Gbps, 1x PCI-e goes from 2Gbps on v1 upto 8Gbps on v3. So bandwidth shouldn't be an issue. However if I was getting a Gigabit NIC and had the option I'd go for PCI-e, purely because PCI slots are becoming more and more uncommon. When you're doing your next build odds are if you go PCI for an expansion card you won't be able to salvage it.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

All of those expansion slots will provide enough bandwidth for 1Gbps. PCI goes from 1Gbps to 4Gbps, 1x PCI-e goes from 2Gbps on v1 upto 8Gbps on v3. So bandwidth shouldn't be an issue. However if I was getting a Gigabit NIC and had the option I'd go for PCI-e, purely because PCI slots are becoming more and more uncommon. When you're doing your next build odds are if you go PCI for an expansion card you won't be able to salvage it.

Right, it will be going into my MSI Z97 Gaming 5 board, which is PCI-e 16x and PCIe 1x slots only. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ended up selecting THIS for my purchase. Thank you guys for the input. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Right, it will be going into my MSI Z97 Gaming 5 board, which is PCI-e 16x and PCIe 1x slots only. 

Then your title was very, very misleading and the answer is still no. There's no real difference.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

... I don't understand why you were asking about PCI vs PCIe 1x then? Was that just a typo or misunderstanding on your part? Anyway the part you chose is totally fine.

Have you been experiencing issues with your onboard Killer NIC? You probably won't see very much real world difference - although the Intel NIC's are generally considered better products.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

... I don't understand why you were asking about PCI vs PCIe 1x then? Was that just a typo or misunderstanding on your part? Anyway the part you chose is totally fine.

Have you been experiencing issues with your onboard Killer NIC? You probably won't see very much real world difference - although the Intel NIC's are generally considered better products.

I have been experiencing alot of lag gaming, while everything else is fine. By everything else I mean, chat wise, and general desktop browsing during the same time. I suspect this is due to the packet prioritization that Killer implements. The official MSI forums users complain about it daily, even the mods suggest going away from it. It had been working fine for me until recently, so I decided to go this route. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

I have been experiencing alot of lag gaming, while everything else is fine. By everything else I mean, chat wise, and general desktop browsing during the same time. I suspect this is due to the packet prioritization that Killer implements. The official MSI forums users complain about it daily, even the mods suggest going away from it. It had been working fine for me until recently, so I decided to go this route. 

Fair enough. Seems the Killer NIC's are really hit or miss as to whether they actually work well. Lots of users love them, and swear by the "gaming mode" technology. But then lots of users like yourself are experiencing lag and other issues.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)