80+ Platinum worth it?

Recon97
Go to solution Solved by Octagoncow,

Gold is generally a good compromise. You don't really make your money back with power savings when you go from gold to anything else unless you keep it for a really long time. I would only think that it's worth it if you're going to be doing super intensive work on your computer nearly 24/7.

Is it worth to buy 80+ platinum PSU? Is there a big difference between platinum and gold certification?

Sort of depends. If electricity is expensive where you live, it might be worth it, but gold is still good. 

I'd only go for Platinum if you're not on a tight budget really. 

Just wow, all I am going to say.. But yes that video should help a lot.

I personally wouldn't go for anything higher than Gold and nothing lower than bronze.

\

Is it worth to buy 80+ platinum PSU? Is there a big difference between platinum and gold certification?

If there is a high premium and no extra features, personally I dont think its worth it

That said a powersupply will last a long time and the efficiency and extra build quality should make it a beast that last a long time, and saves you money in the long run

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If there is a high premium and no extra features, personally I dont think its worth it

That said a powersupply will last a long time and the efficiency and extra build quality should make it a beast that last a long time, and saves you money in the long run

What if i consider corsair AX series?

What if i consider corsair AX series?

Not sure what you are asking...

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not sure what you are asking...

Just like you said that if the psu does not offer more feature then its not worth it.

I was saying that if i consider corsair ax860,would it make sense to throw 200$ on just a psu? electricity rates are not very high but they kind of.

Just like you said that if the psu does not offer more feature then its not worth it.

I was saying that if i consider corsair ax860,would it make sense to throw 200$ on just a psu? electricity rates are not very high but they kind of.

I personally wouldnt, I bought an RM850 because it offered me basically the same thing

I personally wouldnt, I bought an RM850 because it offered me basically the same thing

So i should not buy psu from corsair?

5654_25_corsair_ax860_860_watt_80_plus_p

5654_26_corsair_ax860_860_watt_80_plus_p

Thats a really stable PSU right there. 90% efficiency from all load ranges. IMO as above is electricity cost is a main concern for you then yeah go for a platinum but only if it doesn't cost a silly amount more than the equivalent gold.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

So i should not buy psu from corsair?

The RM850 is from corsair...

@Altecice Where did you get those tables?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Not worth if you're on a tight budget. If you have money to spare, then go for platinum. They have higher quality components.

Is there a big difference between platinum and gold certification?

The difference between Gold and Platinum is between 2–3%, depending on load. Check the table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

Its not just about the cost of electricity, because efficiency is related to heat generation and therefore noise as well. But Gold and Platinum are close enough that I don't think its worth spending extra just for that.

The AX series is extremely expensive, but if you're going to go that route, it makes more sense to do so because the construction quality is so good and you get Corsair Link functionality with the AXi's. Not just because of the 80 Plus rating.

I have a budget of 4300$.Considering 600W active consumption,I think i have to go for AX series.

@typographie  I cant pay for the "i" series becuase AX series is not available in my country and i  will be importing about 70% of my hardwares.

What wattage should i choose.Current build will use active 600W.Is 760W enough even if i overclock my cpu?

I have a budget of 4300$.Considering 600W active consumption,I think i have to go for AX series.

@typographie  I cant pay for the "i" series becuase AX series is not available in my country and i  will be importing about 70% of my hardwares.

That budget seems really, really high for a rig that is only going to pull 600W. However since you are importing a bunch of stuff I have no idea how your taxes and fees are, so maybe its coming from that. I would be able to give you a much better idea of what power supplies would be good for you if I could see a part list of what you were planning on putting in it.

What wattage should i choose.Current build will use active 600W.Is 760W enough even if i overclock my cpu?

A 160W headroom should be plenty for CPU overclocking, more than enough for most CPU's really. If you plan on overclocking GPU(s) you may want to give yourself a little more though.

Is "i" version of corsair ax series worth it?

Are you planning on using the Corsair Link components to control fans and monitor temps? If so yes. If not, no. That is literally all that is different about the "i" versions, they interact with Corsair Link.

As for your broader question of if platinum is worth the extra cost. In most cases, it really isn't, but there are a handful of usages where it would be. A typical home computer probably won't need it, but if you are like some people I know and like to keep your computer on and running all the time instead of putting it to sleep or shutting down, than it is worth it. If you are building an always on server, then it is worth it. If electricity in your area is expensive, it is worth it. Building a system that will use more than 1000W, probably worth it. The jump between the 2 is typically around 3% difference, so while not a huge jump, after time it really starts to add up to savings, or when there is high power draw that efficiency really helps. 

That budget seems really, really high for a rig that is only going to pull 600W. However since you are importing a bunch of stuff I have no idea how your taxes and fees are, so maybe its coming from that. I would be able to give you a much better idea of what power supplies would be good for you if I could see a part list of what you were planning on putting in it.

A 160W headroom should be plenty for CPU overclocking, more than enough for most CPU's really. If you plan on overclocking GPU(s) you may want to give yourself a little more though.

Are you planning on using the Corsair Link components to control fans and monitor temps? If so yes. If not, no. That is literally all that is different about the "i" versions, they interact with Corsair Link.

As for your broader question of if platinum is worth the extra cost. In most cases, it really isn't, but there are a handful of usages where it would be. A typical home computer probably won't need it, but if you are like some people I know and like to keep your computer on and running all the time instead of putting it to sleep or shutting down, than it is worth it. If you are building an always on server, then it is worth it. If electricity in your area is expensive, it is worth it. Building a system that will use more than 1000W, probably worth it. The jump between the 2 is typically around 3% difference, so while not a huge jump, after time it really starts to add up to savings, or when there is high power draw that efficiency really helps. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mt73sY

I am not like other people who dont put their computer to sleep or shutdown.Just whenever i am not using my computer,i shut it down.I am not creating a server.Elecricity bills here are pretty high.I chose ax860 just becuase of its build quality and above stated reason(s).

Gold is generally a good compromise. You don't really make your money back with power savings when you go from gold to anything else unless you keep it for a really long time. I would only think that it's worth it if you're going to be doing super intensive work on your computer nearly 24/7.

The Corsair AXi series is excellent, but something like a Cooler Master V850 would serve you just as well, for a lot less money :)

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-