Time to upgrade? Advice needed.

Go to solution Solved by harrynowl,

What about this MOBO:

http://www.amazon.de/MSI-7915-001R-Socket-Intel-Z97/dp/B00K8KJF9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414053510&sr=8-1&keywords=msi+mpower+z97

I am looking into doing a Purple built so going with this yellow mobo would be nice because the colours compliment each other well. Is it good though?

<snip>

You're paying a lot for something you don't really need.

http://www.amazon.de/Gigabyte-GA-Z97X-UD3H-Mainboard-Sockel-Speicher/dp/B00K2VRAJ6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414054225&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=z97+motherobard

would do the same

Hey good people!

I've been into streaming my games lately and I've run into FPS issues.

Here are my current specs:

MB: ASUS m4a87td evo

GPU: ASUS GTX 760  (used to be Radeon 5770)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3,4 GHZ

Memory: Kingston 3x 4GB

Powersupply: Corsair TX650 V2 (650W)

Storage: 1x 600 GB HDD WDC

1x 60 GB SSD OCZ-Agility3 (Windows 7 boot drive)

It should be my CPU that is bottlenecking my GPU, right? I am trying to play Streetfighter 4 and I get 200+ FPS ingame benchmark but every so often I get random FPS drops. My CPU is constantly at 80-90% usage while streaming.

I am interested in the i5 4690k or i7 4790k, is the i7 completely unnecessary though? I want my system to be somewhat futureproof^^ Also what motherboard should I go with?

Thanks a lot, cheers!

It will be the CPU, yes. 

The i7 will help for streaming, but isn't completely necessary. If you can afford it, go for it, but if not the i5 should do well. MSI's Z97 Gaming 5 is a good choice for the board. 

Hey good people!

I've been into streaming my games lately and I've run into FPS issues.

Here are my current specs:

MB: ASUS m4a87td evo

GPU: ASUS GTX 760  (used to be Radeon 5770)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3,4 GHZ

Memory: Kingston 3x 4GB

Powersupply: Corsair TX650 V2 (650W)

Storage: 1x 600 GB HDD WDC

1x 60 GB SSD OCZ-Agility3 (Windows 7 boot drive)

It should be my CPU that is bottlenecking my GPU, right? I am trying to play Streetfighter 4 and I get 200+ FPS ingame benchmark but every so often I get random FPS drops. My CPU is constantly at 80-90% usage while streaming.

I am interested in the i5 4690k or i7 4790k, is the i7 completely unnecessary though? I want my system to be somewhat futureproof^^ Also what motherboard should I go with?

Thanks a lot, cheers!

Future proof...Nothing is ever future proof. 

I5 is good, Not sure where you live so I don't know the price difference between them. Do you stream/multi task or are planning to? 

Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO, Intel Z97,

MSI Z97 GAMING 5

Asus Z97-PRO

Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER bit cheaper than the hero  Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK 

Asus Z97-A Good value for money I thinks. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

The i5 is around 200€ and the i7 is around 300€ . So, does it make sense to choose the i7 because of streaming + gaming + other random tabs open?

I know nothing is ever "futureproof". In a year or two I just don't want to regret getting an i5 instead of the i7 though ^^

Edit:

What about the older Z87 boards? Are there considerable disadvantages on getting them? Are they even compatible ?

A lot of questions, I know xD Any help is very appreciated !

There's no point on going for the Z87 platform. Z87 and Z97 are still similarly priced. You should go for Z97 and the i7 4790k. The new TIM on the 4790k is vastly superior to the 4770k.

Social Links: LTT Forum    Website    Instagram    Twitter    YouTube    LinkedIn    Steam 

The Build

CPU Intel i7 4770k 4.4ghz Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z87 RAM 34gb (4 x 8gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz GPU Evga GTX780 Classified Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Storage Samsung 840 256gb SSD PSU Corsair HX750 Display Achieva Shimian QH300-IPSMS 1600p Cooling Corsair H100i Keyboard Corsair K90 Mouse Corsair M65 Sound 3.1 Surround Sound Fans 2x Corsair SP120 PWM, 3x Corsair AF140 Q.E, and 1x Corsair AF120 Q.E.

well look at sandy bridge . still very good cpus for atleas 2 years. so ofc there is futureproof

get i5 4690k and as for motherboards it depends on what features you need. if you want sli or not etc. msi z97 g43 is good,no need for expensive mobos.if you don`t overclock get i5 4590 with H97 mobo

i7 makes sense if you also render,edit

4790K is the best gaming processor

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

I'd grab an i5 and make use of the quicksync renderer :)

What quicksync renderer? ^^

I thought the i7 is superior in every way except for the higher price tag of course.

What quicksync renderer? ^^

I thought the i7 is superior in every way except for the higher price tag of course.

Linus had a video on it(well, slick did). Can't link as I'm at college.

i7s are ~30% faster than i5s in multithreaded. The list of games that gain from having more than 4 threads is quite short (watch dogs, crysis 3, bf4 sometimes).

i7 would only help with streaming if you didn't make use of the quicksync render engine.

So unless you make lots of money streaming investing in an i7 isn't really worth it.

Linus did a video a few days ago showing the i5 only begins to struggle when streaming, playing a game, running a malware scan and rendering a video all at the same time

It will be the CPU, yes. 

The i7 will help for streaming, but isn't completely necessary. If you can afford it, go for it, but if not the i5 should do well. MSI's Z97 Gaming 5 is a good choice for the board. 

What about this MOBO:

http://www.amazon.de/MSI-7915-001R-Socket-Intel-Z97/dp/B00K8KJF9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414053510&sr=8-1&keywords=msi+mpower+z97

I am looking into doing a Purple built so going with this yellow mobo would be nice because the colours compliment each other well. Is it good though?

71ODwfENP2L._SL1280_.jpg

What about this MOBO:

<snip>

You're paying a lot for something you don't really need.

http://www.amazon.de/Gigabyte-GA-Z97X-UD3H-Mainboard-Sockel-Speicher/dp/B00K2VRAJ6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414054225&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=z97+motherobard

would do the same

Yeah i guess it would ! Thanks!

So I'm going with the i7 4790k + Gigabyte GA-Z97X which is around 123 € instead of msi's 166 €

If I'm doing a huge mistake, let me know now :D

Thanks everyone for the help :)!

Yeah i guess it would ! Thanks!

So I'm going with the i7 4790k + Gigabyte GA-Z97X which is around 123 € instead of msi's 166 €

If I'm doing a huge mistake, let me know now :D

Thanks everyone for the help :)!

looks good, as long as you're definitely sure i7 is something you need :)

what are you cooling this with?

looks good, as long as you're definitely sure i7 is something you need :)

what are you cooling this with?

I want to use an air cooling solution. Haven't looked into it yet, is there anything you can recommend?

I want to use an air cooling solution. Haven't looked into it yet, is there anything you can recommend?

Well I really like the Hyper 412S on the cheap. If it's not available the 212 EVO.

Both will allow you to reach your optimal 1.3V overclock range.

Looks good.

Alright. Again thanks for helping me out decide which one I should get.

Have a great day everybody!

Alright. Again thanks for helping me out decide which one I should get.

Have a great day everybody!

:)

Be sure to mark a thread as answered if you have what you need here :)

:)

Be sure to mark a thread as answered if you have what you need here :)

Sure! ... How? ^^'

Sorry for being such a noob ._.

Sure! ... How? ^^'

Sorry for being such a noob ._.

should just be a "select answer" or something on one of the posts in the thread

not 100% sure what it's called I've made like 6 threads in my time on ltt

If you can afford it. It should be a good time to upgrade to 4690 or 4790 with them going on sale :).

Btw something to note : Microsoft is planning to reduce cpu bottleneck significantly with the new directx 12 api. So mid range cpu will not be a bottleneck anymore.