Not sure if this fits; Laptop Help!

Brownfield1995

I have an HP Pavilion dv7 i5 laptop that I bought about 3 years ago and I have this problem where when I turn on the computer it will run fine for a few minutes and then out of nowhere the screen will turn black and and the laptop will still be on, but the screen will not turn on unless I shut it off and take the battery out and leave it off for a few days and then try again another day I would like to know if this is a software problem because I took it to Best Buy and they told me that they will wipe the hard drive and it would fix the problem because there was a bug in the operating systems if anyone can help me please do it would be very much appreciated.

I had this same problem before. On my Windows 8 when I put it to sleep or lock the computer, the monitor sometimes won't turn on but the system is on. It's probably a driver problem but I'm not sure since I didn't pay attention to it and it hasn't been a problem ever since. What's your OS?

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

I had this same problem before. On my Windows 8 when I put it to sleep or lock the computer, the monitor sometimes won't turn on but the system is on. It's probably a driver problem but I'm not sure since I didn't pay attention to it and it hasn't been a problem ever since. What's your OS?

Sorry I'm on a mobile device. ..

It runs windows 7

Sorry I'm on a mobile device. ..

It runs windows 7

Try to plug an external monitor to it, check system stability as well as disk stability. If both of them are good then probably you have a problem on the drivers. Is the display still functioning(no lines, dots or color shifts)?

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Try to plug an external monitor to it, check system stability as well as disk stability. If both of them are good then probably you have a problem on the drivers. Is the display still functioning(no lines, dots or color shifts)?

I do actually remember plugging it into my tv through hdmi and it worked fine. But I really need it for school. I appreciate your time sir!

Solution: call hp and get another free, if they say no... tell them you will buy a dell  :D