X99 or Z97?

Is it worth going for X99 if I have around £2400 to spend? Or just high end Z97? I do video editing and gaming.

Thanks

Upcoming build: 4790k OC @ 4.6Ghz, Dual MSI 980 Twin Frozr V, 16 GB Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz RAM, 760T Corsair Case w/ Razer Blackwidow Chroma 

For editing and if you have that much to spend? Hell yes. However don't go nuts. You don't need the extra PCI-E lanes of the more expensive CPUs. The i7-5820k will be sufficient. You also don't need a super expensive MoBo. Usually, even the cheapest 2011-v3 MoBo will suffice.

Go Z97 and SLI.

Go X99. Thought you meant US$ not GBP.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

For editing yes it will help to go x99

See Linus' most recent video. (

)

You could save cash and take a small hit to performance going z97 which is what I would suggest unless you make your living video editing or have cash to blow.

Is it worth going for X99 if I have around £2400 to spend? Or just high end Z97? I do video editing and gaming.

Thanks

Heavy video editing and rendering = X99

Gaming and light to medium video editing = Z97

for heavy editing and rendering = x99

for overall balance gaming and light work shit = z97

IMO go what your gut feeling. if you feel that x99 is not worth it go with z97 your choice but if you feel x99 is worth it just go buy the processor already then ask around for a good motherboard so no need to change your mind about which socket to go.

Live your life like a dream.

What about having a 5930k and a 980 with a decent motherboard? Can expand with another graphics card at a later date and add RAM modules. I'm assuming 5930k is better value than the 5960X?

Upcoming build: 4790k OC @ 4.6Ghz, Dual MSI 980 Twin Frozr V, 16 GB Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz RAM, 760T Corsair Case w/ Razer Blackwidow Chroma 

What about having a 5930k and a 980 with a decent motherboard? Can expand with another graphics card at a later date and add RAM modules. I'm assuming 5930k is better value than the 5960X?

Not worth it at all. As I said, the advantage of the 5930k over the 5820k is mainly its PCI-E lanes, which you don't care about since even the PCI-E lanes in the 5820k are sufficient for huge crossfire/SLI setups, and it looks like you don't even care about THAT since you're only thinking about a single GPU. The 200mhz clock bump is NOT worth another $200, which is a 67% increase in price for a 5.7% increase in stock clock speeds. Factor in overclocking, and you're paying out the ass for basically nothing.

Really, a 5820k with a cheap (for the socket) MoBo is only marginally more expensive over an LGA 1150 i7, that I think it's worth it to do it. Really, it's only a $300 CPU and a $225 MoBo (I like the MSIX99S SLI Plus) compared to a $310 i7-4790k and around a $150 Z97 MoBo. Yes you lose some clock speed, but you gain 2 cores and it's almost the same price.

Can expand with another graphics card at a later date and add RAM modules.

Gotta be careful with adding another gpu when editing. Lots of editing software can't use SLI or crossfire.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Unless you have some outstanding workloads or want things done as fast as possible the 5930k is a much better choice than the 5960X. Only get the 5820k if you're sure you'll never need more than 28 lanes, as I haven't seen any PLX X99 boards (yet).

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

If you have that much I personally would go X99.

Only get the 5820k if you're sure you'll never need more than 28 lanes.

Considering PCIE 3.0 @ 8x speeds won't bottleneck ANY GPU that currently exists, that means you can run a 3 GPU setup using only 24 lanes, with 4 lanes spare. Really, there's no reason to get anything but the 5820k unless you do some weird stuff.

Considering PCIE 3.0 @ 8x speeds won't bottleneck ANY GPU that currently exists, that means you can run a 3 GPU setup using only 24 lanes, with 4 lanes spare. Really, there's no reason to get anything but the 5820k unless you do some weird stuff.

I like weird stuff. Tuner cards, sound cards, testing PCIe components before I install them in other builds, etc. Just makes life easier having 40 lanes (for me), and having to swap a GPU out of a custom loop just to test something is not an option, well unless I was into some other weird stuff (S&M).

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Okay fair, but at least you admit that's weird stuff ;)

I really doubt the OP will be doing all of that simultaneously, and I don't think it's worth the extra $200 for it, especially considering it looks like he's going to be starting with only a single GPU, let alone a three-gpu setup which the 28 lanes is well capable of.

Limited M.2 support, thunderbolt, RAID card, PCI-E ssd, sound card, capture card, TV tuner, additional NICs, and that just to name a few things you might want those PCI-E lanes for.

Limited M.2 support, thunderbolt, RAID card, PCI-E ssd, sound card, capture card, TV tuner, additional NICs, and that just to name a few things you might want those PCI-E lanes for.

Atleast 2 of those things can use X1 slots, which do not come off the CPU but rather come off the PCH (Gen 2.0) of which there are 8 lanes on X99.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

Atleast 2 of those things can use X1 slots, which do not come off the CPU but rather come off the PCH (Gen 2.0) of which there are 8 lanes on X99.

Yes you can but that's what manufacturers tend to try and use first. Most times you never get more than a x4 from the chips etc now a days. This gets even worse with M.2 and SATA express.

I'm not totally convinced that its worth going into X99 (at least at current DDR4 prices) unless you're doing video editing professionally. Z97 Core i7's are still very strong, and it wouldn't be worth several hundred dollars more to me just to save a few minutes on an occasional render as an amateur.

If you're rendering a lot of videos all the time and/or making money from it, X99 with an i7-5820K is a lot easier to justify.

I'm not totally convinced that its worth going into X99 (at least at current DDR4 prices) unless you're doing video editing professionally. Z97 Core i7's are still very strong, and it wouldn't be worth several hundred dollars more to me just to save a few minutes on an occasional render as an amateur.

If you're rendering a lot of videos all the time and/or making money from it, X99 with an i7-5820K is a lot easier to justify.

How much is a base set of 2133 ddr4? I havnt even bothered to look because I'm stuck on X79 for the foreseeable future.

How much is a base set of 2133 ddr4? I havnt even bothered to look because I'm stuck on X79 for the foreseeable future.

From a quick glance at Newegg, comparing 4x4 GB kits (probably what you'd want to take advantage of X99's quad-channel memory), at least $50 more expensive than decent DDR3-1600, and that would only get you to a barebones Crucial DDR4-2133 kit. More like +$100-120 for a nice G.skill Ripjaws 4 kit.