Opinion on x99 MOBO

Mistico88

I just wanted an opinion on what mobo my brother should get for his rig. 

So far all the systems I have built have used MSI mobos. I personally own an MSI z87 g45. It has worked great so far. 

So for this rig we ordered a MSI x99s SLI plus. I just wanted to know if anyone has came across any issues with this mobo?

Also this is the link to the pc partpicker list in case you guys have any other suggestions

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LxHgCJ

Now when we ordered this 2 days ago the gtx 980 strix was available on amazon and now its not. Incase you guys are wondering about the graphics card. And he does have a WD Blue 1T he is gonna use from his old system. 

So for this rig we ordered a MSI x99s SLI plus. I just wanted to know if anyone has came across any issues with this mobo?

Oddly enough, yes. There is an issue with that motherboard. I've heard stuff on pcper on their podcast, they featured a short thing about an issue it had. What it looked like was a laser was drawn across a part of it. Then there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CXb6J4fZ50

Doesn't mean yours will die, but if it does, replace it or refund it. If you refund it, try to get hold of the Asus X99-S, looks like the Deluxe, but cheaper.

Wow, that is the exact same vid I saw that made me post here today.

Isn't it the Asus x99-A? That is the most economic board Asus offers. At least from what I saw. 

God I love the MSI Click Bios. I hope the ASUS BIOS is user friendly. 

Now I am really wondering if I should contact Amazon and have it changed or something. 

Wow, that is the exact same vid I saw that made me post here today.

Isn't it the Asus x99-A? That is the most economic board Asus offers. At least from what I saw. 

God I love the MSI Click Bios. I hope the ASUS BIOS is user friendly. 

Now I am really wondering if I should contact Amazon and have it changed or something. 

Asus typically made overpriced motherboards but for the enthusiast platform they aren't so much as overpriced, but reassuringly spec'd.

Yeah, I really dont want to hurt any of his other components. I hope I can change the order. Does everything else look ok?

Yeah, I really dont want to hurt any of his other components. I hope I can change the order. Does everything else look ok?

If I can change the components, I can save him a pretty penny.

I honestly can't recomend the Asus motherboards enough.

The OC socket isn't a joke, people are pretty consistently getting a decently higher OC on them

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

If I can change the components, I can save him a pretty penny.

What would you change? Cant go cheaper on PSU. Maybe the ram. And he really wants the 980

Canceled it on time. It had not shipped yet.

I reordered the Asus X99-A

What do you guys think?

What would you change? Cant go cheaper on PSU. Maybe the ram. And he really wants the 980

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Micro Center) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($266.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: LEPA Vortex 12 PWM 63.9 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($1.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1194.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-22 21:13 EDT-0400

Cheaper than what you had down already. The PSU is beefed up but costs less. The RAM costs less but is the same and looks better. The CPU cooler is better and cheaper, and matches the case perfectly. Blu-Ray writer is cheaper.

Canceled it on time. It had not shipped yet.

I reordered the Asus X99-A

What do you guys think?

Look at my spec.  :)

For the price, it's better CPU cooling, better PSU, better airflow inside the case.

You know what. I might have him change out the cpu cooler. However, up front its more than the build i suggested. Its mostly mail in rebates. 

Both me and my brother a bad with mail in rebates.

He wants to order some case fans from newegg. Some AF 120s

The 1000 watts isn't necessary even in sli. This system in sli would use 650 watts at the most due to the 165tdp on the 980. And the PSU cables arent nice and braided like the EVGA ones. 

He seems to like the aesthetics of the components we picked out. 

I think the airflow in the spec 02 will be fine if we add another intake in the front and another exhaust on the bottom. Replace the stock fan that is in the back of the case with a 140 corsair AF maybe?

I think the airflow in the spec 02 will be fine if we add another intake in the front and another exhaust on the bottom. Replace the stock fan that is in the back of the case with a 140 corsair AF maybe?

If you want to use other fans, perhaps look at Noctua. Use NF-F12's on areas requiring Static Pressure, and use some others on the areas requiring air flow.