Need help cloning to ssd.

christianled59

I recently purchased a 240gb ssd. I'm wanting to know how to clone windows and all of my programs over from my 1tb hdd to the ssd. However, I want to keep all of my steam games and documents on the hdd. How would I go about doing this?

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Hi there.

First I would like to tell you that most programs (both games and non-games) rely on data in the registry and cloning Windows to the SSD would create a new registry. Even if you did some kind of registry backup and restore, many of the registry entries involves paths for finding support files that the programs need, but they'd probably end up referring to nonexistent paths on the SSD - they wouldn't automatically adjust to the new drive letter of the hard drive. So, my advice would be to do a fresh install of the OS, programs and games on the new drive.

In case you decide to clone, make sure that you have enough space on the SSD drive for the programs and OS. These are the steps you have to follow:

1. Clone C: Partition to your SSD (or use a Backup->Restore technique)

2. Unhook the Hard Drive to verify SSD can boot and run

3. Hook the Hard Drive back and DELETE the primary (old Windows) partition (if Hard Drive is booted instead of SSD, change the boot order in the BIOS).

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

-snip-

Would it be possible to back up my steamapps folder and my documents to an external hard drive, do a fresh install of Windows onto the ssd and then format the existing hard drive and lastly, move the documents and streamapps data from the external drive to the hard drive? I want my programs and OS on the ssd but I want documents and steam library on the 1tb hard drive.

How much space on the 1TB are you using?

I'm using a little less than 700gb on the hdd. It won't all fit on the ssd, obviously.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I don't know exactly how to do that, but you may go to Steam's Knowledge Base and search for moving a Steam installation and games. :)

https://support.steampowered.com/

Okay thank you.