SLI question and/or upgrade

NE0XY

Hi,

So the 780Ti's have been dropping in prices recently due to the release of 900 series so I'm thinking wether to pick up another 780Ti, (I currently have EVGA classified) or wait for a potential 980Ti/990 (or w/e) or a titan black for more vram?

What do you guys think? Also, if I get another 780Ti, does it have to be same model? i.e EVGA classified?

Thanks

Get another if you can get one cheap enough, and no it does not need to be the exact card.

I personally think you should SLI (because 780 Ti SLI will still be much more powerful than the potential 980Ti / 990), and no, it doesn't have to be the same model but I think it looks more uniform when you do. 

Get another if you can get one cheap enough, and no it does not need to be the exact card.

I personally think you should SLI (because 780 Ti SLI will still be much more powerful than the potential 980Ti / 990), and no, it doesn't have to be the same model but I think it looks more uniform when you do. 

Thanks =)

I'm watercooling anyway so they'll look the same when cooled =)

You don't think I should wait for more vram models?

Yep get another 780ti at higher resolutions and OC'd it beats a most things. Also if one card has more VRAM than the other it won't be used in SLI as VRAM is mirrored (also means its not doubled)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Thanks =)

In what way?

Thanks =)

The 780ti is no longer being produced so there will not be anything with higher VRAM that you can SLI with. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

That's why I'm doing. The 780s have dropped so much since the 900 series that I got two 780ti in sli. It's fantastic and completely worth your money.

My name is Sebastian, I relate to Linus

Yep get another 780ti at higher resolutions and OC'd it beats a most things. Also if one card has more VRAM than the other it won't be used in SLI as VRAM is mirrored (also means its not doubled)

The 780ti is no longer being produced so there will not be anything with higher VRAM that you can SLI with. 

In what way?

To clarify: Either 780Ti SLI, or 1 single card with more vram, I know I can't have one card with more vram than the other.

So I'm not stuck on just getting a 780Ti, What I'm wondering is: Is it worth getting another 780Ti when I might need more vram soon?

To clarify: Either 780Ti SLI, or 1 single card with more vram, I know I can't have one card with more vram than the other.

So I'm not stuck on just getting a 780Ti, What I'm wondering is: Is it worth getting another 780Ti when I might need more vram soon?

Unless you're on 1440p+, you'll probably be fine with 3gb for a while if you're willing to turn down a bit of AA.

Yes it's worth it, no you won't need more vram soon.

Unless you're on 1440p+, you'll probably be fine with 3gb for a while if you're willing to turn down a bit of AA.

Yes it's worth it, no you won't need more vram soon.

Thanks

Resolution does not have much to do with vRAM usage. The difference between 1080p and 1440p is about 100MB for most games. The game and how much multisample AA you're using are your primary factors in deciding how much vRAM you're going to use.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Just buy a second 780 Ti.  I currently have 2 from evga and still qualify for the step up program.  Right now I have them overclocked and just running perfect.  I did a lot of comparisons with many 980 SLI's and can't justify stepping up other than ram and power savings.  I may bite the bullet in December when my step up program ends and see how I overclock those but am hoping that the 980 Ti comes out.  the 780 Ti's are pretty cheap right now!

I have a potato!

I have 2 of the 780ti classified's in SLI and they're able to keep 60fps in most games on a 4k panel. I got 2 of the same cards because the classified editions have a custom pcb that's wider than reference. If you're watercooling, you should do the same so that the inlets and outlets line up on the water blocks.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

Resolution does not have much to do with vRAM usage. The difference between 1080p and 1440p is about 100MB for most games. The game and how much multisample AA you're using are your primary factors in deciding how much vRAM you're going to use.

That's why I said turn down some AA, because if he's playing at 4k he'll probably have to turn it down if he doesn't want to run out of Vram.

That's why I said turn down some AA, because if he's playing at 4k he'll probably have to turn it down if he doesn't want to run out of Vram.

Well... at 1440p it's kind of hard to use up 3GB vRAM on any game that doesn't use nearly that much at 1080p, AA included.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Well... at 1440p it's kind of hard to use up 3GB vRAM on any game that doesn't use nearly that much at 1080p, AA included.

I did say 1440p+ though, and the reason I said that instead of 4k was just in case he had a 21:9 monitors (which was highly unlikely, but that was the reason) 

I have a BenQ 27" XL2720Z LED 144Hz so no 4K for me^^