Cooling the NZXT H440 - Advice please!

Psychobob

Greetings!

First off, apologies for the noob like post, but I'm afraid I've always been lazy when it comes to airflow/cooling and on my next build I want to try and do this correctly this time.

I really like the NZXT H440 case and am strongly considering this as my next case, but wanted to get some advice on cooling the case (more specifically the air cooling side of things).

The case comes with 4 fans (awesome) which I think are all airflow optimised as opposed to static pressure; there's three in the front acting as intakes (120mm) and one at the back as an exhaust (140mm) by default.  

Now on paper this sounds great, but this is a case optimised for low noise levels so the panels have few vents.  The front panel where the three fans are acting as intakes, has ventilation down one side and the bottom only.  My plan is to leave these three as intake, leave the rear fan as exhaust and then put in a Corsair H100i at the top acting as a pull exhaust.

At the front intake, I plan to have this pretty open so the hard drive trays will be mostly removed.

So here's my questions now I explained the layout somewhat

1. Can anyone confirm if the default fans (I believe they're called "NZXT FN V2") are air flow optimised or static pressure optimised (I couldn't figure out which)?
  2. With the front intake ventilation restricted, should the front intakes be static pressure optimised fans so it can pull in air better?
  3. If I'm using fans with the H100i as pull type fans as opposed to push (makes it easier to clean dust build up), should those be static pressure fans too?
  4. Do you think with three intake fans at the front, an exhaust at the rear and the H100i acting as an exhaust at the top be sufficient to keep this case cool if it's running a GTX 970 when playing something like Skyrim on Ultra settings?

Appreciate any input you may have on this.  Thanks in advance!

Here's a rough layout of how I intend to set things up:

post-152736-0-97988500-1413979681.jpg

Red crosses indicate which trays are being removed

post-152736-0-53239300-1413979682.jpg

This pictures shows the vents on the front panel.  The black strip down the side is the vent (it's only on one side and along the bottom.  The top and other side have no vents.)

DSC_1750.jpg

first off i might say i have quite a similar setup running. now for your questions:

1.the standard fans in my opinion are pretty good in terms of pressure i wouldnt use them on rads but they seem good enough to pull some serious air through the case. only thing is i didnt find them to be wuiet enough so i went for noctuas wich pull even more air through at lower noise.

2. yes, i wouldnt put airflow fans there. you dont need to go hardcare pressure optimized but airflow fans will probably struggle a bit more than pressure optimized ones.

3. yes, on a radiator you want pressure optimized fans since they have to pull air through really restricted spacings in the rad.

4.yes, i also have 3 in the front in the back, and the h100i in the top, only thing is im running all noctuas of course but i did run it with stock fans for some time and its totally fine with my 770 maxing out. i would really only change those fans if you are picky about the noise or you want to put rads everywhere

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

-snip-

Firstly I don't think you should put your GPU that far down - most motherboards are optimised for them to be put in the top slot, and it might intefere with your front panel connectors, etc.

Secondly, 

first off i might say i have quite a similar setup running. now for your questions:

1.the standard fans in my opinion are pretty good in terms of pressure i wouldnt use them on rads but they seem good enough to pull some serious air through the case. only thing is i didnt find them to be wuiet enough so i went for noctuas wich pull even more air through at lower noise.

2. yes, i wouldnt put airflow fans there. you dont need to go hardcare pressure optimized but airflow fans will probably struggle a bit more than pressure optimized ones.

3. yes, on a radiator you want pressure optimized fans since they have to pull air through really restricted spacings in the rad.

4.yes, i also have 3 in the front in the back, and the h100i in the top, only thing is im running all noctuas of course but i did run it with stock fans for some time and its totally fine with my 770 maxing out. i would really only change those fans if you are picky about the noise or you want to put rads everywhere

He knows his stuff. The only thing I have to say is that with regards to 3), going push/pull might be better since not only are you getting restriction from the radiator, you're also getting restriction from the top of the case. 

I recall someone doing tests in this case and finding that air cooling performed better than water cooling because of the restrictions on the airflow through the radiator.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Awesome, really good information and re-assuring to hear a confirmation on these points running a similar setup to what I intend to do :)

I'll probably go with stock fans for now and then see how I get on.  If they do prove noisy I'll then consider swapping them like you have.  Hopefully the fans that come with the H100i are pressure optimised as they're shipping them with the rad of course.

Firstly I don't think you should put your GPU that far down - most motherboards are optimised for them to be put in the top slot, and it might intefere with your front panel connectors, etc.

Secondly, 

He knows his stuff. The only thing I have to say is that with regards to 3), going push/pull might be better since not only are you getting restriction from the radiator, you're also getting restriction from the top of the case. 

I recall someone doing tests in this case and finding that air cooling performed better than water cooling because of the restrictions on the airflow through the radiator.

Interesting.  Didn't consider the GPU position in that regard.  I don't have any plans for other cards at the moment, so moving it up shouldn't be an issue.  I think I started putting these lower (in my head anyway) as most cases I have been looking at have base fans so I was putting them there to get cooled better.  This case doesn't have that, so I think it was just done out of habit in my picture.  Appreciate you pointing that out for me, chances are I would have done that at build time too.

As you say, like the front, the top ventilation is also restricted somewhat.  I think I'll have to fit the motherboard and bits first before I can see if there's enough space for a push-pull configuration, as some cases place the motherboard a bit too high but certainly appreciate the advice.  I've only ever done air cooled cases before so this is my first time using an AIO so a lot of this is a learning experience for me before I've even bought any parts :P

As you say, like the front, the top ventilation is also restricted somewhat.  I think I'll have to fit the motherboard and bits first before I can see if there's enough space for a push-pull configuration, as some cases place the motherboard a bit too high but certainly appreciate the advice.  I've only ever done air cooled cases before so this is my first time using an AIO so a lot of this is a learning experience for me before I've even bought any parts :P

Maybe you could reach the AIO to mount on the front of the case? That might help.

Also, an option for you would be to get a Phanteks PH-TC14PE or Noctua NH-D14 in there, which would look good (personal preference) be more reliable (no pump to fail on you) and get similar, if not better performance for the same price (regarding the restrictive nature of the case). Also, with the Noctua, you get better fans!

This is coming from a die-hard aircooling fan (geddit). Call me old fashioned, but I don't like having water in my computer case ^^'

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=h100+leaks&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8a9HVLuUPMequQTY0ILYDA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=683

H100s have leaked before

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Awesome, really good information and re-assuring to hear a confirmation on these points running a similar setup to what I intend to do :)

I'll probably go with stock fans for now and then see how I get on.  If they do prove noisy I'll then consider swapping them like you have.  Hopefully the fans that come with the H100i are pressure optimised as they're shipping them with the rad of course.

Interesting.  Didn't consider the GPU position in that regard.  I don't have any plans for other cards at the moment, so moving it up shouldn't be an issue.  I think I started putting these lower (in my head anyway) as most cases I have been looking at have base fans so I was putting them there to get cooled better.  This case doesn't have that, so I think it was just done out of habit in my picture.  Appreciate you pointing that out for me, chances are I would have done that at build time too.

oh shit i just realized you will use the h100i with stock fans? im not sure what they ship the with now but when i got my h100i about 2 years ago i almost went deaf on those fuckers. i switched those 2 to noctuas as soon as i could. corsairs pressure fans (at least back then) where so crappy loud and whiny at low speeds that it was impossible sitting next to that rig in my dorm room. id say get rid of the stock h100i fans immediatly.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Maybe you could reach the AIO to mount on the front of the case? That might help.

Also, an option for you would be to get a Phanteks PH-TC14PE or Noctua NH-D14 in there, which would look good (personal preference) be more reliable (no pump to fail on you) and get similar, if not better performance for the same price (regarding the restrictive nature of the case). Also, with the Noctua, you get better fans!

This is coming from a die-hard aircooling fan (geddit). Call me old fashioned, but I don't like having water in my computer case ^^'

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=h100+leaks&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8a9HVLuUPMequQTY0ILYDA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=683

H100s have leaked before

I have considered mounting it to the front as an intake (that way it doubles up as bringing more air into the case) and it still may be something I pursue.  If the radiator leaks (as opposed to tubing elsewhere or the CPU block) then in theory the coolant will at least have less of a chance damaging other parts (again, in theory).  I could then put the two 120mm fans it replaces as top exhaust vents, but that's something I'll have to play around with to find the best layout.

I understand the reluctance of having water/liquid in the case, in all honesty I have been like that a long time and this is the first time I'm seriously considering introducing it.  I hate fan noise and the liquid cooling option in theory means I can reduce it and in theory provide some better cooling (but it looks like CPU air cooling has changed a fair bit since I last looked at it).  I've also been seriously looking into AIO because at first, I was looking at mAXT and even mITX cases, before I decided I had to go for an ATX to fit my new grahics card (GTX 970 cards are pretty damn big unfortunately).  This was a way of introducing both CPU/case airflow.

As I'm going back to an ATX size case, I may reconsider the AIO now I have more space but can you advise on the noise and how hot your CPU runs at with those two air CPU cooler suggestions you made?  What kind of temperatures does your CPU run at when playing a game on Ultra settings for instance?

oh shit i just realized you will use the h100i with stock fans? im not sure what they ship the with now but when i got my h100i about 2 years ago i almost went deaf on those fuckers. i switched those 2 to noctuas as soon as i could. corsairs pressure fans (at least back then) where so crappy loud and whiny at low speeds that it was impossible sitting next to that rig in my dorm room. id say get rid of the stock h100i fans immediatly.

Thanks for the heads up.  Think I'll have to see how bad these are and then see if they need to be swapped out.  This is going to be a 6 or 7 feet away from me so I won;t notice noise completely, but at the same time the room echoes a little so it may end up driving me nuts.

Thanks for the heads up.  Think I'll have to see how bad these are and then see if they need to be swapped out.  This is going to be a 6 or 7 feet away from me so I won;t notice noise completely, but at the same time the room echoes a little so it may end up driving me nuts.

yeah im also very picky about noise like that 

Thanks for the input guys.  Looking into the NH-D14 now and that thing seems to be more efficient than the H70 (surprised me), I just need to see a comparison against the H100i plus find some benchmarks on noise comparison.

New question on airflow in this case.

I've been looking at the NH-D14 and in all honesty, I'm impressed by what I'm reading on benchmarks.  I even found a video where someone did a comparison between the H105 and NH-D14 in the exact case I'm looking at and the NH-D15 was really impressive.

If I used the NH-D15 on the CPU, blowing the air towards the rear (where the stock fan exhausts the air), would it reduce the performance if I was to fit some additional exhaust fans in the top of the case (i.e. disturb the airflow as it has an exhaust to the rear and top or with the low clearance on the top of the case but no ventilation other than around the sides cause it to bounce back into the case)?