why HATE Corsair SP120

martheus25

Why do you guys hate the SP120 fans? I saw good reviews about the product and all bad comments about the product here on linus. Please tell me cause im about to buy it. Hahaha

They can be beat, especially at their price point, they aren't the best fans for your money.

That said, I don't have any complaints with mine. they keep my system well within temps that i'm happy with.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Why do you guys hate the SP120 fans? I saw good reviews about the product and all bad comments about the product here on linus. Please tell me cause im about to buy it. Hahaha

Following this for the topic! I always see reviewers (like Linus) talking good about corsair, but people here hate it. Not sure if it's because they want to be 'unique' by hating on a popular brand or if they're actually bad. SP120s seem to perform well.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

I really like my sp120 quiets, was like £15 for a twin pack, they run pretty quiet, provide great cooling and look smart too

Are there better fans? yes, but there are millions more worse ones

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Pros: Look cool, work really good, reliable

Cons: Price, require modification for use with a radiator(didn't Linus use duct tape?)

don't think so, maybe if the rad had weird spacing but pretty sure it is all standard now.

see no reason why any 120mm fan wouldn't fix on a 120,240,360 rad with zero issues.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I really like my sp120 quiets, was like £15 for a twin pack, they run pretty quiet, provide great cooling and look smart too

Are there better fans? yes, but there are millions more worse ones

Umm... I have one AF120 Quiet edition on my rig, yes, it's quite quiet, but that thing is louder than intel stock cooler (wut?)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Umm... I have one AF120 Quiet edition on my rig, yes, it's quite quiet, but that thing is louder than intel stock cooler (wut?)

Really? I have no experience with the AF series so I am not sure what to say

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Really? I have no experience with the AF series so I am not sure what to say

That's from what I've heard of the fans in my rig. Though, it could be because the AF120 is closer to my ear, and the stock cooler in hidden behind the side panel.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

That's from what I've heard of the fans in my rig. Though, it could be because the AF120 is closer to my ear, and the stock cooler in hidden behind the side panel.

Not sure :P

I have a stock cooler in my server, which only has one other fan in which is on a fan controller and spinning at its quietest setting, its louder than my whole gaming rig 

Not sure :P

I have a stock cooler in my server, which only has one other fan in which is on a fan controller and spinning at its quietest setting, its louder than my whole gaming rig 

Doesn't matter me, though. 'Cause the sounds of both the intel stock cooler and the AF120 are well drown in the sound of the GTX 590's cooler... Dunno should I cry or laugh...

don't think so, maybe if the rad had weird spacing but pretty sure it is all standard now.

see no reason why any 120mm fan wouldn't fix on a 120,240,360 rad with zero issues.

Oh no they fit just fine, its just that since they don't have a square frame they leak a lot of air(and hurt performance). Since the SP120's are meant to generate pressure its counter intuitive to have large gaps around the fan, so a common mod(fix really) is to cover up the gaps around the sides.

Doesn't matter me, though. 'Cause the sounds of both the intel stock cooler and the AF120 are well drown in the sound of the GTX 590's cooler... Dunno should I cry or laugh...

Yeah your PC is only as quiet as your loudest component haha mhm the 590 is a little loud :P

Soon I will be trying to get my room as quiet as possible for audio recording, so I am not sure what I am going to do :P

Pros: Look cool, work really good, reliable

Cons: Price, require modification for use with a radiator(didn't Linus use duct tape?)

That was for a good seal, the frame design isn't actually good for anything but looks and cost cutting.

I don't like them, or any Corsair fan do to bad noise to performance ratios. Every Corsair fan can be beaten in every aspect by another fan.

Poor blade design makes them need to spin faster to have decent stats, and that increases noise greatly.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

High price low cfm (even the airflow series) Scythe Grand flex beats it both in static pressure and CFM in one fan while it is cheaper also http://www.scytheus.com/product/grand-flex-pwm/ . In my country The corsair and scythe has almost 5 euros difrence for me it is a lot they are just a bit noisier which i dont really care

Grant us the joy of song and dance and ever watch over us in the lonely places in which we must walk - Pray to Bastet

That was for a good seal, the frame design isn't actually good for anything but looks and cost cutting.

I don't like them, or any Corsair fan do to bad noise to performance ratios. Every Corsair fan can be beaten in every aspect by another fan.

Poor blade design makes them need to spin faster to have decent stats, and that increases noise greatly.

I found the corsair hater.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

I found the corsair hater.

I like a lot of things about Corsair, they're just not so good at cooling. (And before you mention their AiO's, they don't make those, Asetek does)

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

I don't like them, because they are too loud for me. They arnt bad by any means but they certainly don't reserve the popularity they have IMO. I also know you can MUCH better fans for around the same price in the uk.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

in which case anyone got some good fans for rads? 

what about noiseblockers?

I know very little about them, other than are are a variety of RPM specific models and the blades cause some issues with some things.

Noctua NF-F12, Enermax TwisterPressure, Enermax T.B. Vegas, Cougar Vortex PWM (Some complain about a motor related sound when mounted horizontally, I've never heard it), Gelid Wing 12 PL, Akasa Apache/Rosewill Hyperborea (Likely Akasa in Scotland).

Noctua makes pretty good fans.

Honestly I find Corsair fans to be good enough, but CoolerMaster Sickleflow fans are highly regarded as well, as are Be Quiet's fans.

Noctua makes pretty good fans.

Honestly I find Corsair fans to be good enough, but CoolerMaster Sickleflow fans are highly regarded as well, as are Be Quiet's fans.

are sickle fans that good? i'm getting a h100i with my next rig so looking at some light fans.

First off, I'll give the SP120 credit for being cheap and looking good, they feel quiet sturdy to, they are really well built fans.

Now to the second parts, it's loud. It's very loud. For the performance it gives the noise is way too loud. You can make them quiet, but then they perform terrible. It's due to corsair having no idea how to design fans. This goes for the AF series fans as well, they push like no air when theyre quite, and even at full 12v speeds, they push less air than a good fan like noctua nf-f12 at 5v.

So TL;DR, they're loud and perform like shit. They're bad fans. Only buy them for aesthetics, not performance or silence.

But hey, theyre cheap.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

It's probably because the fans are causing good air flow that it doesn't need to spin as fast. Slow them down and you'll notice the difference in CPU fan noise, I had it on my SG09 and my enthoo pro.

I dropped the voltage down on the front case fan to make it quieter but it was enough to push the CPU fan up.

This isn't exact science but drop a 140mm fan down 10% causes a 70mm fan up 20%