CPU Cores for Gaming, Streaming, & Rendering Simultaneously

Do an AMD version of this test please.

I also would have liked AMD 8 core thrown into the mix.

I feel like this is a kind of useless video...Obviously rendering and gaming at the same time would benefit IMMENSELY from twice to four times as many threads/cores. It would have been much more interesting to see how they compare against each other in realistic uses -- gaming + streaming + browsing.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

hey linus can we see some amd benchmarks as well to see how would they handle such a workload

Fx-8150 @ 4.7Ghz/Corsair h110/asus hd7770 1gb/Gigabyte 990fxa ud3/corsair xms3 4Gb 1333Mhz 8-8-8-20/WD scorpio black 250GB/hp w19ev/nox nx520/logitech access keyboard (y-sr34)/1life gm:lightning/

Hey Linus, 

I really liked your video on multi-core gaming. I do wish you would have included a few contenders from the AMD camp, though.

This test was superb! I would be interested in a AMD version as well. Even if they are long in the tooth.

Linus and team, please run the same test with an FX-8350. I know the Intel will definitely beat it. But I like to see how it justifies the hefty price tag. Will it outperform the 8350 THAT heavily to justify the cost? I'm dying to know. I know some people will as well.

While I'm not really intending to get an AMD processor, this would have been interesting to see how far behind they are. Would still like to see competition.

The content in this video was excellent!  It's very rare that I see a benchmarking video from any site that really gives me some new perspective.  This was awesome.

This will probably be the video I link people to when they ask "should I get a 46__K or a 47__K?".

Browsing the forums, I sometimes get the feeling that everyone else is only running one program/game at a time.  It's good to know that is not the case.

Coupled with the DDR4 vs. DDR3 apples to apples comparison, this is great. I don't see myself trying to multitask that hard, but it's nice to see that theoretically the 1150 chips can still handle the business. But man, what do you have to do to choke a 2011v3?

While I'm not really intending to get an AMD processor, this would have been interesting to see how far behind they are. Would still like to see competition.

Yes I agree. I got chips from both Intel and AMD. I got an i5 4670k and an FX-8350 (probably these are not the best two to compare, but it's all I got). And I gotta say, that the only place I notice the difference is with synthetic benchmarks. With everyday use, be it gaming or light content creation, I hardly notice the difference, maybe a few fps in games, and a few seconds in render times but its negligible. I even run multiple VMs with the 8350 and I have no hiccups. I must say this clear though, I am NOT a hardcore gamer and NOT a professional content creator. So the load I put in my PC with everyday use is nowhere near to what Linus did in his test. So everyone else's mileage may vary.

Do an AMD version of this test please.

I'd really like to see the 8350 compared to these cpu's. Mainly to see how dumb I was when buying it. 

As much as I appreciate your attempt at trying to make everything as consistent as possible, I do feel like your approach of simulation has definite drawbacks.I realize you guys wanted to take away the possibilities of DDR4 vs DDR3 and different motherboard for X99 and X97 but you forgot something pretty important, the cache. And during an age where physics is being pushed to its limits every little thing on a cpu can matter. 

Yes everything in the Haswell family at the moment is using the same instruction set but with 20MB cache on the 5960x vs 8MB on the 4970k you never did anything to address this difference. Having that much more cache allows more space to use in the cpu's branch prediction tables and more space in its translation look aside buffers. That is the major concern I have about your testing methodology. There can be other gripes like how the different die sizes probably generates more timing issues between register stages, but most of the time those don't affect real world too much.

Don't take this the wrong way, the point of the video I know was to show how much of a monster the X99 chipset is at multi tasking, but I just wanted to point this out just so maybe you can address it in the video saying "Ya this is the best we could do"

wow, I really thought the 8-core would suffer from all this more than it did. I don't think i'll have a need for it anytime soon though.

wow, I really thought the 8-core would suffer from all this more than it did. I don't think i'll have a need for it anytime soon though.

welcome  ^_^

I wish someone can come up with a legit way to benchmark CPUs in games with 200+ people on the screen. I play a lot of mmos and when "big fights" happen you can really see the difference between these CPUs.

For example I have i5 4690k running at 4.4 GHz and gtx 970, and my brother has i7 4770 (non K) and gtx 660 and he is actually getting a lot better FPS under the same conditions during sieges, while on other single player games I get double the frames due to better single core performance and the GPU.

But I guess testing in mmos will be extremely hard for couple of reasons:

1. You need to invest a lot of time before you can start benchmarking (level up, etc.)

2. The conditions are never the same (number of people playing)

3. There are not always big events happening (you need to do the benchmark at a specific hour)

why not testing the fx 9590 as well....?

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

why not testing the fx 9590 as well....?

FX 8350 and FX 8320 is the most common high end FX (and the test will be fine just with one)

(i like 8320)  :ph34r:

- - - - 

well... i like use Prime95 + Valley

but Valley works "rare" this days on AMD

and Prime95 may not work well with intel (for a fair compare)

and the point is... is not that easy compare this two companies as one may think  :blush:

• 9 months later...

So I really liked this video but you like to see another with 2 things, 1. The same and a slightly less, more reasonable workload done on 2. More CPU's I would say 4690 and 4790, throw in skylake, I would also like to see the 5820 oced along with some xenons maybe a cheaper one (less than $300 but 4 cores and HTing) and a fancy >8 cores one, along with the 8350 and a 8350 oc/9590.

well, someone with that much money. they will probably have 2 PCs instead of 1.  

I would like to see this added, like at what point does buying better become cost prohibitive and just having a laptop or something on the side make more sense.

welcome  ^_^

Lol same

Great, this video was really usefull, I also have a 4690K which I am happy with, For me personally an I7 extreme would not be worth getting :)