Why does Razer have a bad rep?

yourdad165

Wasn't there a thread on Razer before already? @@

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

My story from Razer, everyone buckle in and hang on.... This will be a bumpy ride.

The Beginning 

I loved Razer growing into PC gaming, I loved their products. If you asked me then I would refer anyone so fast to Razer it was unmistakable how much I really like their company. My first real gaming mouse and headset were from Razer and they got me really into the "Higher End" product range for PC Gaming. Over the years I spent countless times mowing lawns to get enough money to purchase the coolest keyboard, mouse or mouse mat and I loved it. The day came when Razer showed off the "THE NEW RAZER DEATHSTALKER KEYBOARD" and for me this keyboard was the balls to the wall, end all keyboard - until I got it. At this point in my story I've owned well over 30-45 Razer products and invested thousands of dollars into their company,my products I owned ranged from T-Shirts, Bags, Mice, Keyboards, Headsets, Key lanyard, Expensive Mouse Mats, and the name.

The DeathStalker 

I got this for one of my Christmas presents, I loved this thing. Who ever thought of adding a touch screen that could do multiple things instead of a standard numpad was a brilliant idea, or so I thought. After 3 months of using the keyboard, the Touch screen did not work 90% of the time and many times the keyboard would think its keys where somewhere else. Login into Windows, I would press K and it would put C (I tested this multiple times) and many times the number row wouldn't respond at all, so I could almost never complete my password. So I figured oh my keyboard was defective, did the normal oh I guess I'll have to call Razer (literally had them in contacts I had so many issues with my products -.-). At this point in the story I've probably RMA'D around 20/30-45 products due to failure and breaking. When I contacted Razer support they first went through their ramble, try this and try that, try it on a different computer - nothing worked. When they finally got into the position to RMA me the keyboard I was happy to accept the offer. When mailed it I couldn't wait to get it back to keep playing, however this is where bull sh** hit the fan. They gave me a call when they received the product and they claimed nothing was wrong with product and it was just me and my thousand dollar systems. They ended up sending me my same old keyboard, this time it was dirty and looked very used... When I called them back and requested another RMA for this screw up they transferred me to Teir 2 support team, with my personal adviser/over seer. After multiple times talking with him(his name will remain anonymous) I ended saying "I do not care, I just want the money back for a product you will not cover and a product will not support". I had a very straight forward request for them however after my adviser Tim (i'll call him Tim) personally used my keyboard for work for a whole day he found no problems, though I have videos of it not working. Again they sent me back the keyboard, again -.- this time it was worse, it wouldn't even respond to my computer any more. When I called Tim personally he gave me no response to my new problem with a 3 month old keyboard. Tim finally after 5 MONTHS OF PHONE CALLS AND WAITS agreed to RMA another product to replace this shitty keyboard. I decided on three things (Black Widow Ultimate, New Razer Carcasses headset, and the Razer Goliath mouse mat.) After one month after having these (replacement products) 2/3 products broke, the mouse mat thread ripped and pulled apart and the headsets sound died in the right ear. 

The End Game

In the End this product ended my relationship with one of my all time favorite companies. Not only did it take 6 Months to finally get everything right but what they replaced it with didn't even last a month. I no longer recommend the Razer brand to anyone anymore.

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks 

Most of Razer's mice use  the 9500 or 9800 sensor which has significant speed related variance. While companies like Logitech, Roccat, and Zowie have most of their mice use sensors that have very good consistency. The one Razer mouse that has a respectable sensor is the deathadder, but the chroma and 2013 models still have inferior sensors to the 3g model. So even in their flagship fps mouse, they are moving backwards in performance.

Outside of mice, i try to avoid gaming companies, because there are enthusiast companies for the other peripherals that aren't specified as gaming and tend to have better performance then gaming brands. But there are no other activities that demand the mouse performance that gamers need, so its the one area where a gaming peripheral is pretty much needed.

I've owned 6 razer death adders...in the end I just bouoght a logitech g502

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor | Cooler: Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE LCD 82.9 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Mobo: Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO ATX LGA1700 Motherboard | Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory | GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card | Storage: 1x Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive + 2x Sabrent Rocket 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | PSU: Asus ROG Thor 1200P 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair iCUE 7000X RGB ATX Full Tower Case | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch-2 | Mouse: Logitech G903

Meh.

I've got a deathadder, and as much as I love the mouse, the thumb grip started peeling.  Decided to email razer about it and they're going to be sending me a new one, so I have to say that their customer support is pretty nice.

I wouldn't personally buy a razer keyboard, since there's better alternatives out there.

I saw that and in my opinion it looked cheaper than the Razer switches. They apparently felt like membrane keys according to a guy on YouTube who I think May have been from China.

Yeah I don't want to touch anything that isn't Cherry MX, so neither Logitech nor Razer get my business when it comes to Keyboards

Git Gud.

They hold a huge market share in the gaming industry.

Say company A sells 100 products and company B sells 10 products.

Now lets say company 1/10 products fail

Company A has to deal with 10 angry customers while company B only has to deal with 1.

This makes it look like Company A's products break a lot more than company B. (How many people leave positive reviews a month after they buy something?)

Of course it isn't that simple and razers recent moves certainly don't help their image but I'd say if you actually evaluated to returns on each product razer wouldn't be as bad as everyone things. (Although given my experience I'd say they have shit customer support that is for sure.[i was once trying to get an onza replaced in warranty, a razer employee decided to link me to a second hand reseller to buy something than offer to replace it because they no longer had the parts])

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Synapse is very clunky and bloated compaired to other programs. Also, it has a tendency to drop profiles, buttons, and even devices at a moments notice which can screw you up in game. That happens to me quite a bit and i have a full Razer set-up (Friend bought it for me for my birthday). They are also expencive compaired to other paripherals.

Good lord, please edit rather than multipost.

Bad rep comes from fairly low quality components compared to other offerings in their price ranges, and in some cases, even cheaper stuff is a higher quality. I'm rather unbiased as I've never personally purchased a Razer product, yet have used them in the past for various reasons. ;) Also, the way they cater to 'professional' gaming and people thinking their products make them super cool tarnish the reputation of the company itself, because basically everyone I've ever seen tryint o act like they know anything about computers generally says they have 'the best Razer gear,' or similar.

Mostly is the cost, Razer tends to make things overpriced even when they don't use good materials to make the quality of their peripherals better. (Plastic bodys, cheap LEDs)

I had a Death Adder and the middle mouse wheel collapsed into the mouse, it was not very good. Also it took no force at all to click, which some people might like but I felt I accidentally clicked a lot from just resting my finger on the buttons.

I tried really hard to love Razer. I have owned a Lycosa, Orochi (original), Mamba 2012, Vespula mouse mat and 3 Onza TE's.

The Vespula mat is great since it is a hard mat so nothing to fray/break....

The Onza TE was an amazing controller for a week, until the triggers stopped working properly, best buy happily replaced the first 2 for me. The third one broke after a few more months, with the left trigger and both analog sticks just sending sporadic movement. Razer didnt really care, so I didnt get that RMA'd.

I ended up replacing the Lycosa with a old K70 with blues bocause mechanical was the way to go. But the Lycosa appeared to work fine, until Synapse found its way onto my pc......

The Mamba arrived without the red led working so that was RMA'd the day I received it, but through the reseller and not Razer directly. The replacement has been happily trucking along for 2 years now.....as long as I make sure that Synapse does not infect my computer.

The Orochi has been flawless from day one (3+ years now)......so long as Synapse is not installed..... see a theme forming here?

SYNAPSE, aka the bane of my Razer products

I installed it voluntarily one time thinking it sounded good. It immediately started updating the firmware on all my razer devices. The Mamba would no longer move my cursor, but the right click button worked fine....the Orochi would no longer connect through bluetooth at all and also wouldnt track. And all 3 products (lycosa, orochi and mamba) would randomly disconnect in the middle of doing whatever (namely gaming)

After uninstalling Synapse, NONE of the devices would communicate with my computer AT ALL. I had to find a crappy OEM mouse and keyboard in order tohunt down the old drivers and downgrade the firmware on all of them to get them back up and running again. This worked for many months, until Microsoft for some reason decided to start pushing Synapse as an important update through Windows update.....Choosing the NEVER INSTALL button did nothing as the software would try installing on every re-boot. I even went in and deleted all the installer files off my hard drive but they still found a way to run every time I booted up. I had to resort to uninstalling all of my razer software and getting rid of any traces of razer in the registry (hint, search for rzwiz, rzdet, rzmwa, synapse) and then reinstall the old versions to stop this from happening.

While Synapse may be a cool idea, I DONT WANT my mouse profiles stored in the cloud, I want them stored ON THE MOUSE, since I paid good money for a mouse with onboard memory, and Synapse just apparently disables that memory in favour of cloud storage and DRM. If Synapse were offered as an option and standalone drivers as another option, there would be no problem. But since newer razer mice dont work without Synapse, I can comfortably say that I will NEVER buy any razer hardware again, which is too bad because I really really wanted to like them, but dont agree with the direction they headed with Synapse.

Maybe Synapse has been improved since I last tried it out, but it has left such a bitter taste in my mouth that it will NEVER be allowed on any computer that I own. The mouse has on board memory and all the buttons can be programmed, why the hell does it need such a bloated driver platform. Their whole spiel about "your macros on any pc" is bullshit, since the macros and profiles are already in the keyboard/mouse once its programmed, and you dont need to install any software on a new computer since they should all be stored on the device itself.

wow that was a long rant.....

but that is why I cannot stand behind Razer products any longer.

When in doubt, re-format.

When I was a fledgling in the world of PC gaming, and was trying to get a headset so that I wouldn't annoy my family with my games, I tried a Razer headset from Best Buy, and boy am I glad I got the warranty...... BOTH TIMES! First one broke after a couple months when a speaker broke, and the second one lasted only a couple weeks before the 3.5mm connecter wouldn't transmit anymore.

After using Best Buy's warranty AGAIN, I opted for the Logitech G930, which survived for 3 years before my... erm... occasional drop tests broke not the speaker, not the electronics, but the actual plastic that connects the band to the speaker. My Logitech mouse has proven to have similar endurance.

My brother also tried their products in the realm of gaming mice, and didn't have much better luck. I'd have to agree with others in that their money is more toward marketing and flashy do-dads instead of practical design.

Corsair - spends too much time on build quality and marketing, and releases too quickly with poor software.

haha, oh man funniest thing i read today

"Build quality"

yea, tell that to the super flimsy frame on their cases

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

haha, oh man funniest thing i read today

"Build quality"

yea, tell that to the super flimsy frame on their cases

Try to bend my case, it takes my anger punchs (I hit like a train)

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks 

the price is too high for the quality of their stuff. you can get much better PC peripherals for half the price of Razer peripherals. I tried using a Naga and a Deathadder, but the buttons are extremely light, the mice feel cheap and the cable braiding feels like crap, plus they cost 50% more than my Roccat Savu which feels top notch.

my brother on the other hand was a huge Razer fanboy, but after I showed him my mice, keyboard and headphones he has been slowly moving to better peripherals. He is ditching his deathstalker ultimate for a k70 and getting a new headset in December.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Okay, before I get raged at by everybody just hear me out. Why does everyone say Razer products are poor quality.

I've used Razer products for the longest time, and not one product has broken yet. I understand that they stopped using MX switches in their keyboards and people got mad. However the specifications of their switches out perform the cherry switches. Even Linus said that they're not that bad.

Can't somebody trash talk any product. For example one guy might say he had to replace all his Razer products while another guy might say that about Corsair.

My Corsair K70 RGB's software was pretty much unusable because it's new likely and they need to update it, However I'm not saying it's poor quality. It is a sturdy cherry MX brown keyboard that types fine but the software needed work. So I returned it, I paid good money for it.

Razer synapse is also not bad. I don't know why people hate it so much. It's user friendly and is easy to use for newcomers. I understand it lacks features which Corsair has but at least it works.

I guess this was just a nice rant about Razer but I want to know, why do people hate Razer so much.

I just purchased a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2014 to replace my Corsair K70 RGB.

A part of me really wants to keep that keyboard, I kind of want both... :)

So does anybody have a reply to this rant?

Please be nice, give actual reasons on why you agree or disagree with me. Just state your opinion and some facts too, thanks for any advice or help.

I kind of liked having the cancel order option on Amazon if I changed my mind but it's coming now. However I might still be able to cancel it so please share your thoughts.

The way I see it, Razer's "poor" quality is compared with products from other companies when they are sold at around the same price. But if you are comparing Razer with the basic consumer lineup of products then of course it's really good quality.

The specs of the Razer switch may claim it "out perform" Cherry switches, but any smart person can figure out that's just a part of their marketing scheme (I'm sure you realize it too). Linus says they're not that bad, and it's true, they're not. I also have tried Razer switches before. I've done a blind test between Cherry MX blue and Kailh's clicky switch before, and honestly they felt so similar it was scary.

I don't really know much about Razer's software, since I do not own any Razer products that would need the software, but I've owned a couple of Razer hardwares myself like the DeathAdder 3.5G and (currently using) Abyssus Mirror. It's not bad, and the reason I got it was because it's cheap and relatively small to carry around for travel (I plan to buy a laptop in the future). 

Notice I use the word "cheap" (in terms of price). I think Razer's products are so-so, better than most basic consumer products, but definitely not worth the retail price they put. If there is a discount on their products (and I mean like, at least 40~50% off) then I would consider. Otherwise, I go for Ducky for keyboards, and lots of other options for mice.

ONE MORE THING: IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU BOUGHT THEN GOOD FOR YOU. If you're not satisfied, you return/resell/trash/destroy/sit on/kick/verb/etc it, and get something you like! If you don't like the ranting, then ignore it....there will always be haters. Haters gonna hate.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

the price is too high for the quality of their stuff. you can get much better PC peripherals for half the price of Razer peripherals. I tried using a Naga and a Deathadder, but the buttons are extremely light, the mice feel cheap and the cable braiding feels like crap, plus they cost 50% more than my Roccat Savu which feels top notch.

Exactly! Razer expects us to pay a higher price based on the branding, NOT quality of their products. For the same price as a BWU 2014, I can buy a Ducky Shine 3 which, imo, would be a much better buy in terms of quality. I have about 30 keyboards of various brands in full size, TKL to 60% flavor......I don't have, and have NEVER considered, getting a Razer keyboard. 

I refused to consider any of Razer's 2014 line of keyboards, but the 2013 does use Cherry, so I'd not object as vehemently as I would in the case of the 2014 line. Still, even the 2013 line is priced about the same as Ducky's, so given the circumstances, I'd go with Ducky everytime. I'd like to point out that although Logitech has released the Orion Spark, a 'gaming' RGB keyboard with Omron Romer G switches, this is from a known maker of switches, and the Romer G switch has me kind of curious as to how it feels. So, I'm more likely to buy a G910 Orion Spark with its original Romer G switch than with Razer with its Kailh/Cherry knockoffs.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

wow so much angry people...

better more careful choosing my peripherals next time

btw thanks op I learn so much from this thread

wow so much angry people...

better more careful choosing my peripherals next time

btw thanks op I learn so much from this thread

Np lol, it seems that this thread is still getting a lot of replies. It is good to hear people's opinions and experiences with different brand name products.

From my experiences it seems like a lot of the hate started back when Razer was relatively the new kid on the block and unfortunately has kinda stuck with people since then. Their products legitimately were bad back then from what I've heard, but its a different story now (at least from my experiences). I've owned both a blackwidow and deathadder for 4+ years now and they've worked perfectly fine. No issues at all. 

Would I trade my blackwidow for a different keyboard now? Absolutely! But that's just a matter of me preferring Cherry MX Reds over the blues. Only reason why I haven't done so is because they haven't shown any signs of wear on them yet and I'd say I was pretty aggressive with my keyboard/mouse. Lotsa Starcraft 2 ;)

Razer just might not be peoples' cup of tea.

The Razer Kraken 7.1 isn't too bad though.

True enough, It seems it's pretty decent headset although some people say that the mic is bad.

Razer design is pretty neat, but it's disappointing that they have for example many versions of the blackwidow.

"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many" - Hachiman Hikigaya

They tend to break pretty quickly, but I had my Naga hex for over 2years now so it really depends I guess. They're also a bit overpriced at full price.