Why does Razer have a bad rep?

yourdad165

Okay, before I get raged at by everybody just hear me out. Why does everyone say Razer products are poor quality.

I've used Razer products for the longest time, and not one product has broken yet. I understand that they stopped using MX switches in their keyboards and people got mad. However the specifications of their switches out perform the cherry switches. Even Linus said that they're not that bad.

Can't somebody trash talk any product. For example one guy might say he had to replace all his Razer products while another guy might say that about Corsair.

My Corsair K70 RGB's software was pretty much unusable because it's new likely and they need to update it, However I'm not saying it's poor quality. It is a sturdy cherry MX brown keyboard that types fine but the software needed work. So I returned it, I paid good money for it.

Razer synapse is also not bad. I don't know why people hate it so much. It's user friendly and is easy to use for newcomers. I understand it lacks features which Corsair has but at least it works.

I guess this was just a nice rant about Razer but I want to know, why do people hate Razer so much.

I just purchased a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2014 to replace my Corsair K70 RGB.

A part of me really wants to keep that keyboard, I kind of want both... :)

So does anybody have a reply to this rant?

Please be nice, give actual reasons on why you agree or disagree with me. Just state your opinion and some facts too, thanks for any advice or help.

I kind of liked having the cancel order option on Amazon if I changed my mind but it's coming now. However I might still be able to cancel it so please share your thoughts.

my naga from them is great but it feels low quality and toy like and plastic-ish :S my razer blade on the other hand is super high end, so ya know :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Because they spend more money on marketing instead of focusing on quality. They cater to people that like gimmicky products; ie, fancy leds, chroma line etc.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

they have flashy shit and good things, their old blackwiddow and deathadder are 2 very good products, the new blackwiddow use their new cheap switches tho.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

They have the iffiest build quality from any gaming peripheral company I can think of. The Blade is well made, however, and I want one.

I know that JayzTwoCents has owned several Razer products, all of which have crapped out on him.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I have a Razer black widow 2013 and its built great.  I have heard bad things about razer but I have never had a problem with them.  My brother has been using a razer mouse for 4+ years now and it still works great.  I'm sure other people have had different experiences though.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Your profile picture might indicate that you're slightly biased - but it's just that different people have different opinions and experiences. Perhaps you're really gentle with the things you're use, so things rarely break for you, and for others they may be more rough with their things, so things break more often.

Razer Synapse - I'd say that's opinion based. Personally I've had some issues with it so I'm not a big fan of it and I think it could be improved a lot. For basic use it's fine, but if you really want to tweak things and you're doing some crazy stuff, ehhh... it's not that great.

I have one question for you though - why did you buy a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2014 if you already had a Corsair K70 RGB? Corsair can update their software and make it better, and they're working on improving their software right now.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

My Razer Imperator 2013 I think, bought it last year ... now is disconnecting all the time, so.... this is why probably.

and my Blackwidow Ultimate sometimes disconnects and connects like 10 times in a row .. sometimes in a loop like flashing lights .. "Disconnects.. connects.. disconnects.. connects.." ... but it's sometimes, it's a great keyboard...

Yet... meh.....

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I think it's the $180 tag on the Razer Blackwidow Chroma that is killing them. It's made of ABS and has some ripoff switches. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I have a Razer black widow 2013 and its built great.  I have heard bad things about razer but I have never had a problem with them.  My brother has been using a razer mouse for 4+ years now and it still works great.  I'm sure other people have had different experiences though.

Yeah, the build quality of their products is not bad. It just depends who you ask. Like any product, some are going to be defective.

I'm not entirely sure. What other people are saying is probably true about them spending more on marketing instead of making quality products but I've never had any problems with Razer products, then again the only one I own is the deathadder so my experience is limited. I just know it works very well, feels great, and I got it for $50 so fairly priced. Also one of my friends picked up the mamba and has said only great things so far so I assume that's a decent product as well.

Their stuff tends to break..

Lol, I accidentally double posted this thread. Thanks for the comment though. I know people say their stuff breaks but so can any product.

All headsets made by them are outperformed by $30 Superlux headphones. But then again that goes for pretty much every headset.

The Razer Kraken 7.1 isn't too bad though.

I'm not entirely sure. What other people are saying is probably true about them spending more on marketing instead of making quality products but I've never had any problems with Razer products, then again the only one I own is the deathadder so my experience is limited. I just know it works very well, feels great, and I got it for $50 so fairly priced. Also one of my friends picked up the mamba and has said only great things so far so I assume that's a decent product as well.

The Deathadder is a great mouse, I have a Naga but people love the Deathadder. It's a good fast mouse to use for FPS games.

I think it's the $180 tag on the Razer Blackwidow Chroma that is killing them. It's made of ABS and has some ripoff switches.

I agree, the Chroma is a bit overpriced. The Corsair K70 RGB destroys them there. However for now, their software is better and their LEDs are brighter. Overall though the Corsair LEDs are dimmer but will last longer and their software will update.

It's the thing with the Razer switches though, people say it's a cheap knock off but like I said. The Razer switches supposedly outperform the MX switches. Maybe not ergonomic wise due to personal preferences, but their durability is better.

These are claims by the company though. I obviously cannot confirm them.

I'm starting to get Razer related ads with all the Razer topics Ive been posting on.

post-73659-0-02347600-1413952110.png

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

I agree, the Chroma is a bit overpriced. The Corsair K70 RGB destroys them there. However for now, their software is better and their LEDs are brighter. Overall though the Corsair LEDs are dimmer but will last longer and their software will update.

It's the thing with the Razer switches though, people say it's a cheap knock off but like I said. The Razer switches supposedly outperform the MX switches. Maybe not ergonomic wise due to personal preferences, but their durability is better.

These are claims by the company though. I obviously cannot confirm them.

I have a Blackwidow. And the LEDs are way too bright. I run them at 5% brightness.

And the body is super cheap. 

They have a pretty large profit margin and that makes people angry

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I'm starting to get Razer related ads with all the Razer topics Ive been posting on.

I would recommend the Ghostery extension to block trackers.  

You sound like a razer fanboy...but I will state my opinion anyway:

Razer is similar to apple, where they spend a lot of money on marketing to get their brand name out instead of paying for high quality products and customer service.

A lot of their stuff has 'issues' such as sensor malfunctions, double keypresses on keyboards, etc...

Obviously not everyone will have the issues, but they could spend less money on marketing and more money on higher quality components, maybe not all made in china.

Also note that linus said the colour transitioning on their RGB keyboard is not as smooth as it is on the corsair RGB.

Cosidering the fact that the corsair RGB only has 512 colours I would not like the know what kind of crap razer used.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Expensive, cheaply made, poor quality, panders to PROFESSIONAL GAMING xD, just generally shit products.

They present themselves unprofessionally before. For example they say the Razer Kraken is the most comfortable headset in the world. If that's true my ears wouldn't feel like they're going to fall off when I'm done gaming.

Corsair stuff or Ducky is better build quality. However it comes to a point where you have to ask yourself. "How rough am I going to be with a keyboard?"