Old HDD to new one

-MOBIUS-

Hey guys, so I almost have all the parts for the PC that I am about to build (hopefully), but there's one thing I'm still not sure about, would I be able to transfer files, documents, etc. from the hard drives I'm using right now on this HP computer to the new drives? I'm using an SSD as the boot drive in RAID 0 and then backing that up on the HDD in RAID 1.

Also, how would I go about backing up stuff on a nightly basis? From the SSDs to the HDDs

Thanks

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: ASUS Strix Radeon R7 5700 XT OC Edition Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X Mirror Black Display: BenQ XL2420Z  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Audio: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum

Hey guys, so I almost have all the parts for the PC that I am about to build (hopefully), but there's one thing I'm still not sure about, would I be able to transfer files, documents, etc. from the hard drives I'm using right now on this HP computer to the new drives? I'm using an SSD as the boot drive in RAID 0 and then backing that up on the HDD in RAID 1.

Also, how would I go about backing up stuff on a nightly basis? From the SSDs to the HDDs

Thanks

Hey -MOBIUS-,

You have a couple of options to transfer your data.
One way is to clean install your OS on the boot drive and then simply attach old drive inside your build, set it as a slave drive in BIOS and simply use it like a regular drive and copy/paste whatever you need.
Another option is to again clean install your OS on the SSDs and use a SATA to USB cable to attach the old drive to your new build and simply use it as a external drive to copy/paste your data.
You can also create an image of your old drive and expand it on your new one.
Yet another option is to simply clone your old drive onto the new one.

One thing about the SSD RAID0 - as boot drives, you wouldn't see any initial OS start-up boost if you use the SSDs in RAID 0. It would actually be slower (some people have reported 5 to 10 seconds slower compared to similar single drives). Everything else would work jsut fine on almost double speed, You could get a smaller SSD for your OS or use them separately. 

Regarding the nightly backups, you could use a backup program. I could suggest checking out WD SmartWare which allows you continuous backing up as well as scheduled backups of all or certain files and folders. Here's a link: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=940 .

Hope all this comes in handy :)

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Like Captain said, you could use any software to do it.

if you want to use the windows feature, just schedule a backup and restore operation by selecting which files  or folder will be included but those files would be archived (not readable) but take lesser spaces.

Or I would recommand creating a batch files and schedule a nightly task.

for example

@Echo off

XCOPY "C:\my work\*.doc" D:\backup\ /s/e/y

PC1 = i7 4790k  -  Asus Z97 Mark1  -  Corsair Dominator 32GB kit  -  Evga GTX 780Ti SC x2 SLI  -  SSD 512GB x2  -  12TB NAS  -  Carbide Air540  -  24" 120Hz x2 3D ready  -  Corsair K95 + M95
Custom Watercooling loop with low profile radiators / fans

PC2 = i7 4770k  -  Z97 Maximus VII Hero  -  16 GB kit  -  Evga GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  -  Graphite 760T  -  24" VE248 x2  -  Corsair K70RGB + M90 

Hey -MOBIUS-,

You have a couple of options to transfer your data.
One way is to clean install your OS on the boot drive and then simply attach old drive inside your build, set it as a slave drive in BIOS and simply use it like a regular drive and copy/paste whatever you need.
Another option is to again clean install your OS on the SSDs and use a SATA to USB cable to attach the old drive to your new build and simply use it as a external drive to copy/paste your data.
You can also create an image of your old drive and expand it on your new one.
Yet another option is to simply clone your old drive onto the new one.

One thing about the SSD RAID0 - as boot drives, you wouldn't see any initial OS start-up boost if you use the SSDs in RAID 0. It would actually be slower (some people have reported 5 to 10 seconds slower compared to similar single drives). Everything else would work jsut fine on almost double speed, You could get a smaller SSD for your OS or use them separately. 

Regarding the nightly backups, you could use a backup program. I could suggest checking out WD SmartWare which allows you continuous backing up as well as scheduled backups of all or certain files and folders. Here's a link: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=940 .

Hope all this comes in handy :)

Captain_WD. 

Since I have two WD Reds, I'm assuming WD Smartware will be quite compatible with it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: ASUS Strix Radeon R7 5700 XT OC Edition Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X Mirror Black Display: BenQ XL2420Z  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Audio: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum

Since I have two WD Reds, I'm assuming WD Smartware will be quite compatible with it.

Yes, WD SmartWare should work perfectly fine with any drives, including WD Red series :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/