Setting up Wireless payments /w HTC ONE M8 (In Canada)

Hello everyone!

I post very little, but ask for alot of help! So it'd be really great if someone could help me out.

Alright judging by the title you know what I need help with, but here's the details.

I bought the Htc one M8 the day the iPhone 6 was released mainly because I wasn't happy with the results and

Linus brags about his. So this is my first Android phone. One thing that I really did appreciate was NFC. Especially wireless payments.

Can anyone help me setup wireless payments with my phone? I live in Canada and downloaded google wallet but it doesn't show a 

option to add a credit card.

(By the way, I'm a complete noob to android so PLEASE give alot of detail)

If anyone else needs deets comment below! :D

Best Regards
Karan M.

Google Wallet requires you to be 18 to use which is dumb, but hey. 

Go to wallet.google.com to sign up

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

Google Wallet requires you to be 18 to use which is dumb, but hey. 

Go to wallet.google.com to sign up

How is that dumb? You need to be 18 to hold a credit card anyways. You need to be 18 to create a Paypal account too. It's pretty normal and sensible.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

How is that dumb? You need to be 18 to hold a credit card anyways. You need to be 18 to create a Paypal account too. It's pretty normal and sensible.

I've had a debit card since I was 16 and I think it would have been pretty rad to use Google Wallet back then too.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

I've had a debit card since I was 16 and I think it would have been pretty rad to use Google Wallet back then too.

Debit card is far different from a credit card though. I've had a debit card since 16 too. A credit card means that you can spend as much before hitting your credit limit, and leaving that unpaid, collecting interest. This vs. withdrawing money out of your bank account using your debit card is a much different concept.

Oh yeah by the way, @Ice_Stormz google wallet payments through NFC are only in the US right now.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Debit card is far different from a credit card though. I've had a debit card since 16 too. A credit card means that you can spend as much before hitting your credit limit, and leaving that unpaid, collecting interest. This vs. withdrawing money out of your bank account using your debit card is a much different concept.

Oh yeah by the way, @Ice_Stormz google wallet payments through NFC are only in the US right now.

So I'm going to guess it's impossible to set up wireless payments in Canada :/ ?

Best Regards
Karan M.

So I'm going to guess it's impossible to set up wireless payments in Canada :/ ?

For now, yeah :(. You can try CIBC's suretap thing if you're with them. But still...the Google Wallet NFC thing is so much cooler. We'll have to wait I guess.

Are you sure you downloaded GOOGLE wallet and not a random wallet app from the marketplace? The app isnt supposed to be available at all in canada

Specs: i7 4790k, r9 280 windforce OC, 8gb hyperx fury 1866 RAM, z97 PC Mate, 256gb mx100, black pearl r4, 2tb WD Red (soon)

Who is your bank?

If you are with TD Canada, you can download their app and set up tap to pay with that.

For some reason, it doesn't support my nexus 5, so no promises it will work....

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

• 2 months later...

Who is your bank?

If you are with TD Canada, you can download their app and set up tap to pay with that.

For some reason, it doesn't support my nexus 5, so no promises it will work....

Hey TDP

I am with TD and Rbc, but it doesn't work with my m8 either. Guess I'll need to find another work around. I downloaded the official Google Wallet app by downloading the APK with a DNS change and having a US google account. But thanks. I'll try the TD app once again seeing if they have an update.

Best Regards
Karan M.

You actually don't have to be 18 to hold a credit card. I've seen 16 year olds with credit card.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Hey TDP

I am with TD and Rbc, but it doesn't work with my m8 either. Guess I'll need to find another work around. I downloaded the official Google Wallet app by downloading the APK with a DNS change and having a US google account. But thanks. I'll try the TD app once again seeing if they have an update.

Wait. 

You got google wallet to work in Canada?

Are you a wizard?

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

You actually don't have to be 18 to hold a credit card. I've seen 16 year olds with credit card.

I have a visa/debit. 

I can make purchases online, sign up for services, and even rent a car with it, but it takes money out of my chequing account rather than a credit pool. 

Idk how it is where you live, but here in B.C you have to be 18 to have a credit pool. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

I have a visa/debit. 

I can make purchases online, sign up for services, and even rent a car with it, but it takes money out of my chequing account rather than a credit pool. 

Idk how it is where you live, but here in B.C you have to be 18 to have a credit pool. 

I was about to say the same thing. It could be a credit card that deducts money out of an account (which really isn't one by definition). @terrytek I'm pretty sure since using a credit card is essentially taking a loan, you'd have to be 18. Not saying that you're lying, maybe the credit card was cosigned with a parent which makes that a special case.