Little laptop help

Synyster

I'm sure this has been posted a 1,001 times before but I could use to other opinions and help.

Basically, I'm looking for a laptop to handle any random number of tasks. Anything from using DJ software for 2-6 hours, things like Ableton, Traktor, Serato, to school, writing papers, loggin into virutal servers, ect. It's also going to be for work. I do have to travel sometimes for work and having a light laptop would be nice. It's also going to be for everyday use for when I'm not home, which depending on the day and or week can be a lot of time away from my desk top. And lastly, light gaming - I do most of my gaming on my desk top though.

My budget is $1500 MAX.

Here are things I care about most

• 15" - 14 feels too small and 17 too big
  • quad core i5 or i7
  • SSD is much prefered but I'll be okay with a mechanical
  • A good track pad and keyboard
  • Thin - I dislike bulky, chunky, fat laptops
  • 1920 x 1080 matte - No TN panels or gloss
  • Prefer a lighter laptop

I've been shopping for awhile now and I think I've narrowed it down, but I'm not entirely sure which one to choose or if I should look else where.

Y50 4k model - I originally had the non 4k version for about 10 days back in June but I had to return it due to some issues and now I'm comptemplating buying it again.

MSI GS60 - I got hands on with this one for 10 minutes the other day and I was super impressed with the thingness and lightness of it, the only grips I had right off the bat were the bezels on the screen and the odd placements of they track pad and keyboard, but I feel like I could get used to them.

P35k - This machine looks amazing and I almost bought this last spring, but I have no hands on or experience with it.

I'm leaning more towards the y50, mostly due to price but if anyone has any other reccomendations, I'm all ears. I don't know which one to choose and it's driving me insane and I need a laptop soon.

ASUS N550JK or the y50

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Personally, I would go for Lenovo as they have very reliable computers without the usual bloatware that all manufactures seem to put on their computers. However, I recommended not going for the 4K version again as unless you are gonna be using it for your main gaming rig, which you said you weren't, as it really is a waste of money since it doesn't seem like you are doing anything that would really benefit from it.  :D

My name is Sebastian, I relate to Linus

ASUS N550JK or the y50

Totally forgot about that Asus. Do you have anything bad to say about it?

Personally, I would go for Lenovo as they have very reliable computers without the usual bloatware that all manufactures seem to put on their computers. However, I recommended not going for the 4K version again as unless you are gonna be using it for your main gaming rig, which you said you weren't, as it really is a waste of money since it doesn't seem like you are doing anything that would really benefit from it.  :D

I had the original without the 4k screen and I can tell you the non 4k was absoutle shit. Bad viewing angles and colors were just alright. Last time I checked it wasn't something they fixed due to the 4k being avaliable.

its out of stock everywhere

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I had the original without the 4k screen and I can tell you the non 4k was absoutle shit. Bad viewing angles and colors were just alright. Last time I checked it wasn't something they fixed due to the 4k being avaliable.

Wow, didn't realize the Lenovo had those problems. Also sorry about the mistake, thought you said you did have the 4K version.

Haha - is it that good or did they just not make enough?

its good

Wow, didn't realize the Lenovo had those problems. Also sorry about the mistake, thought you said you did have the 4K version

No worries - basically it just looked like a cheap IPS panel. I started to notice somethhing after a few days about the screen, I couldn't tell what it was so I googled it and low and behold, tons of complaints on it in random forums. Plus, the 4k versions is pretty much the same price.

its good

Glad you brought it up again, just makes my decisions that much more difficult. 

I noticed you said you worked with DAWs. I used to do some work with music and know that generally, the more ram the better as it lets you have more tracks. How many tracks do you generally work with? That would help in deciding how much RAM you would need.

You could get the Asus ROG G750JM-DS71. From 12GB of RAM all the way to 32GB, although you probably won't need that much. Has the option for an SSD, and has options for GPUs so you can game on it like you said.

I noticed you said you worked with DAWs. I used to do some work with music and know that generally, the more ram the better as it lets you have more tracks. How many tracks do you generally work with? That would help in deciding how much RAM you would need.

That's what I was forgetting! I forget to say at least 8gb of RAM.

I DJ on my laptop sometimes anywhere from 2-6 hours so I'll play anywhere from 400-600 songs a night.

As for production, I'm mostly messing around with mashups and little things like that which are usually 2-5 tracks in ableton.

You could get the Asus ROG G750JM-DS71. From 12GB of RAM all the way to 32GB, although you probably won't need that much. Has the option for an SSD, and has options for GPUs so you can game on it like you said.

That thing is a monster - thanks but no thanks man.

That's what I was forgetting! I forget to say at least 8gb of RAM.

I DJ on my laptop sometimes anywhere from 2-6 hours so I'll play anywhere from 400-600 songs a night.

As for production, I'm mostly messing around with mashups and little things like that which are usually 2-5 tracks in ableton.

That thing is a monster - thanks but no thanks man.

Lol, at least I didn't tell you to get a mac  :lol:

Thank you!

I still don't understand why I see mac's everywhere in the DJ/Producer world - it drives me insane.

I KNOW!! Almost every DJ has them, and there is absolutely no benefit in mac over pc in the music industry, so there is no point in spending the extra Apple Tax

I KNOW!! Almost every DJ has them, and there is absolutely no benefit in mac over pc in the music industry, so there is no point in spending the extra Apple Tax

Yup, we can be friends now.

I think I'm gonna buy the Y50, again, I think...

Although, if the ghost wasn't a bit more expensive and had the unusual layout for the keyboard and mouse, I'd buy that instead.

Yup, we can be friends now.

I think I'm gonna buy the Y50, again, I think...

Although, if the ghost wasn't a bit more expensive and had the unusual layout for the keyboard and mouse, I'd buy that instead.

Honestly, the Y50 didn't seem to be too bad, Lenovo may have just been having bad decisions with the screen or poor quality control. At least the battery is blowing up :lol:  If I find any other laptops I'll let you know  :)