LGA1150 vs LGA2011 for video editing/gaming

Hey everyone so this winter I plan on building my first desktop computer.  My current laptop no longer has the balls i need it to have so i think its time to upgrade.  I still want to have a laptop so i'm planning on keeping this one (Dell Studio 1558 - Decked out).  

So as the title says I do have a question regarding which socket I should go with.  I dont want the socket/motherboard to go out of date so i was wondering which would be better to go with.  If i do go with the LGA1150 route i will be putting a i7-4790k in an Asus z97 motherboard.  But if i go with the LGA2011 route i will be planning on putting a i7-5820k in an Asus X99 Deluxe.

Two of my biggest concerns are that 1) I don't want the socket to go out of date so that in the future if necessary i would be able to upgrade the processor while keeping the motherboard. and 2) in the future i want to possibly add expansion cards/another graphics card.  I know the 1150 only has the ability for 16 pcie lanes and the 2011 has the capability for up to 40 (correct me if i am wrong here).  I would much rather not run things with less lanes but if i shouldn't be worried about something like that please let me know.

Thanks ahead of time.

4790K is a generally better choice for the money. X99 will be a much better performer and more futureproof however keep in mind the extra cost for the motherboard and DDR4 RAM on top of the more expensive CPU.

The 16 lanes of 1150 is only for graphics, so you can still use the x1 slots with two GPUs

"Rawr XD"

Running a graphics card at 8x 8x isn't an issue. You will notice no conceivable change between 16x and 8x. But that does limit you to only 2 graphics cards, or 1 graphics card and a pcie ssd, etc. Both sockets are going to go out of date, z97 should be getting a new processor soon. While x99 will have 1 or 2 new generations till it doesn't get another.

I lied. I did not know what the other person said. Ignore that sentence. 

If you're spending 200$ on a Z97 motherboard you are better off with a 5820K. X99 UD3 is 200$ so, a crucial DDR4 4GB stick is 50$. Clock for clock a 5820K will be up to 50% faster than a 4790k.

x99 is more powerful and probably is going to be outdated any time nearby

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

They both have upgrade paths, x99 more so. Lanes for x99 depend on the CPU, so keep that in mind. 

It's really about your budget. x99 is better for editing hands down, but sometimes z97 will do a little better in games. 

I could be very wrong

Two of my biggest concerns are that 1) I don't want the socket to go out of date so that in the future if necessary i would be able to upgrade the processor while keeping the motherboard. and 2) in the future i want to possibly add expansion cards/another graphics card.  I know the 1150 only has the ability for 16 pcie lanes and the 2011 has the capability for up to 40 (correct me if i am wrong here).  I would much rather not run things with less lanes but if i shouldn't be worried about something like that please let me know.

Thanks ahead of time.

1) 2011-3 (X99) is the most up-to-date socket. The X99-Deluxe has M.2, SATAe, and multiple RAID configuration support. I'd expect at least 5 years out of the platform (X58 lasted me that long). Almost all Z97 boards have the same support, just less (quantity) of it.

2) PCIe lanes are attributed to the CPU, not the board, unless it has a PLX chip or is configured to support additional lanes past the native CPU support. 5820k=28 lanes, 5930k/5960x=40 lanes. There is no PLX chip on the X99-Deluxe, so plan your CPU accordingly depending on what additions you want in the future. You should be fine w/5820k unless you want Quad SLI, or Triple SLI with more PCIe peripherals, then consider the 5930k.

If you're planning on using ASUS's provided M.2 adapter and x2 or x3 SLI make sure you read the manual on how exactly to configure it..I haven't bothered with it yet since I don't have a good reason to run M.2. Maybe when Win 10 drops and M.2 performance gets a boost.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

x99 for video editing cad and rendering everything else socket  1150

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Thanks for all of the responses.  I know that the X99 chipset is going to be more expensive and more powerful.  I don't plan on necessarily using that m.2 socket as i understand right now storage drives don't take full capability of that port.  I am an engineering major right now so maybe in the future there is a possibility for doing some CAD projects, but that is about 5 years away.  For now I think i might stick with the z97 with the 1150 socket.  The small amount of video editing I do it should be good enough for that.  Thanks for all of your help everybody.

Thanks for all of the responses.  I know that the X99 chipset is going to be more expensive and more powerful.  I don't plan on necessarily using that m.2 socket as i understand right now storage drives don't take full capability of that port.  I am an engineering major right now so maybe in the future there is a possibility for doing some CAD projects, but that is about 5 years away.  For now I think i might stick with the z97 with the 1150 socket.  The small amount of video editing I do it should be good enough for that.  Thanks for all of your help everybody.

A good amount of ATX Z97 boards also have M.2 capability, there's plenty of upgrade space on that platform as well. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed by Z97 and an i7 :D

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

For video editing LGA2011.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |