Should I get Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic MX-4 Thermal Compound?

These two seem very competitive thermal solutions. I want to be able to have lower CPU temps both in idle and load.

Doesn't matter, I personally have used MX-4 though and have heard it's better.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Between those two? MX-4

01-Water-Cooling-High-Pressure.png

-Tom's

If you have the money, buy the Gelid GC-Extreme.  It is darn good stuff.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Don't get AS5. 

MX-4, NT-H1, IC Diamond, and PK-1/2/3 are all good compounds. Get whichever one is cheapest of those. There are other good ones too but those are the ones I can think of off the bat.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Don't get AS5. 

MX-4, NT-H1, IC Diamond, and PK-1/2/3 are all good compounds. Get whichever one is cheapest of those. There are other good ones too but those are the ones I can think of off the bat.

NT-H1 seems good and its cheaper on Newegg. How much does that fair off with MX-4?

NT-H1 seems good and its cheaper on Newegg. How much does that fair off with MX-4?

check the graph that @Faceman posted. They're within margin of error (~.2 deg). I don't know about application/longevity of the Noctua paste though, as I haven't used it. However, it has good reviews, and its from Noctua, so I would say that it's a pretty solid choice. I don't think you'll be disappointed in it. In the long run, you'd be fine with either one. 

Edit: if you're in America, I would get the MX-4 off Amazon (unless you have a specific reason for buying on Newegg). It's cheaper than the Noctua paste on Newegg. 

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

I use to use that mx4,and I'm very happy with it, I have also used cooler master and some other... Not much difference but, I have achieved the best performance with mx4

Learning from Spain, don't be rude if I can't understand everything you write down to me O_o'

check the graph that @Faceman posted. They're within margin of error (~.2 deg). I don't know about application/longevity of the Noctua paste though, as I haven't used it. However, it has good reviews, and its from Noctua, so I would say that it's a pretty solid choice. I don't think you'll be disappointed in it. In the long run, you'd be fine with either one. 

Edit: if you're in America, I would get the MX-4 off Amazon (unless you have a specific reason for buying on Newegg). It's cheaper than the Noctua paste on Newegg. 

Thank you, you just saved me $3 for getting it off Amazon

• 1 year later...

Coolermaster IC Essential E2 Thermal Compound Paste

Code: N00QR

★★★★★★★★★★2.5 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.

(2)

Write a review . This action will open a modal dialog.

Ask a question

• High Thermal Conductivity
  • Low Thermal Resistance
  • Electrically Non-Conductive

This is the paste i use and have for over a year on my processor!

My build runs a very stable superflow , no need to confuse the issue with products not matching up to your expectations if when the company perpetuates fake reviews to qualify it's product and certain Thermal Paste manufacturers have been known to do this on Amazon and other known internet sales arenas , it doesn't actually match up to the standard.

MX-4 is non-conductive. Means less risk associated with bad paste applications. Would personally lead towards it over Arctic Silver 5, which is still good, it's just kinda dated now and is starting to show its age compared to other pastes.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.