PhotoMath , App which Solves Math Equations using your Smart Phones Camera

Tried this with a 1st order non homogeneous  LDE with constant coefficients and it didnt recognize the primes.

this is exactly what i need!

and best of all... wait for it...

IT'S ON WINDOWS PHONE!

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

One of my friends tried this out and it was failing miserably at best it rearranged formulas (at best adding and subtracting X from various sides) something that you should know how to do as soon as you get introduced to variables.

Could become useful. I'm terrible in math, and this could help me understand some formulas more than I currently remember from math classes.

Too bad it's on a Windows Phone 8, not Windows 8. Can't try it out on a Windows 8 tablet... :/  I guess I'll wait for the Android release.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Oh I wish I had my former math teachers email so I could stuff his face in this.

However Mr. White would be ashamed to see this(I'm referring to breaking bad now)

Not advanced enough for me :P like... Really not advanced enough

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

I like this idea because I am all for replacing having to know math with technology (I hate math, especially the parts of it that are made up BS that's made up specifically for math classes) but this thing does not work. I downloaded it, tried 4+4 on both my screen and a piece of paper, and it just sits there trying to focus.

edit: Lol sorry if this post seems angry, I'm currently in a math class and most of it is over-complicated bullshit that would never actually be used in real life (reducing the equation .0000024 * 6,000,000,000 to scientific notation, why not just actually multiply it with my phone and get the answer of 14,400. That's a much simpler equation for most people who don't actually need scientific notation >.<) for most people

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

edit: Lol sorry if this post seems angry, I'm currently in a math class and most of it is over-complicated bullshit that would never actually be used in real life (reducing the equation .0000024 * 6,000,000,000 to scientific notation, why not just actually multiply it with my phone and get the answer of 14,400. That's a much simpler equation for most people who don't actually need scientific notation >.<) for most people

You cannot always be reliant on external units to do the work for you; sometimes you have to do calculations by hand. Calculators have a margin of error within double-precision floating points, as well as the answer data itself. Doing these calculations by hand, if done properly, removes this margin. Also, doing these calculations manually says a lot more about your understanding of mathematics concepts (this is important in most job placements, whether you like it or not), than just typing "fancy symbols" on a calculator to get an answer that you cannot verify yourself.

You also could have brought a better example; 0.0000024 * 6,000,000,000 = 14,400 can be simplified to (2.4 * 10^(-6)) * (6 * 10^9) = (1.44 * 10^4). It may look like "pointless BS" to you, but when you are calculating by paper, it is more simple to reduce-then-calculate than calculating raw numbers as is. These methods are created to save time getting an answer, not to waste it.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

You cannot always be reliant on external units to do the work for you; sometimes you have to do calculations by hand. Calculators have a margin of error within double-precision floating points, as well as the answer data itself. Doing these calculations by hand, if done properly, removes this margin. Also, doing these calculations manually says a lot more about your understanding of mathematics concepts (this is important in most job placements, whether you like it or not), than just typing "fancy symbols" on a calculator to get an answer that you cannot verify yourself.

You also could have brought a better example; 0.0000024 * 6,000,000,000 = 14,400 can be simplified to (2.4 * 10^(-6)) * (6 * 10^9) = (1.44 * 10^4). It may look like "pointless BS" to you, but when you are calculating by paper, it is more simple to reduce-then-calculate than calculating raw numbers as is. These methods are created to save time getting an answer, not to waste it.

How is it simpler to convert   0.0000024 * 6,000,000,000 = 14,400 to (2.4 * 10^(-6)) * (6 * 10^9) = (1.44 * 10^4 rather than just typing 0.0000024 * 6,000,000,000 = 14,400 into a calculator? I fail to see how that's simpler. It takes me less than a minute to simply type the original calculation into a calculator, but it takes me several minutes to convert it into scientific notation.

Edit: For some reason, I cannot get this to be in automatic font color) 

How is it simpler to convert   0.0000024 * 6,000,000,000 = 14,400 to (2.4 * 10^(-6)) * (6 * 10^9) = (1.44 * 10^4 rather than just typing 0.0000024 * 6,000,000,000 = 14,400 into a calculator? I fail to see how that's simpler. It takes me less than a minute to simply type the original calculation into a calculator, but it takes me several minutes to convert it into scientific notation.

Like I said, there are times and places where calculators are out of the picture, when you want to calculate some values.

Anyways, this took me ten seconds:

• 0.0000024 has 5 leading zeros plus a significant digit, so it becomes 2.4 * 10^(-6)
  • 6'000'000'000 has 9 trailing zeros with no insignificant digits, so it becomes 6 * 10^9
  • so we have both the unit size, and the digit value
  • We add 9 to (-6), and we get 3
  • we then multiply 2.4 by 6 to get 14.4 (6 * 2 = 12; 6 * 4 = 24; 24 / 10 = 2.4; 12 + 2.4 = 14.4) 
  • So we get an answer of 14.4 * 10^3
  • which can be simplified to 1.44 * 10^4

This may look like a loaded answer, but trust me, it is not as difficult as it looks.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

if it can do anything more advanced then algebra 2 i would be surprised

Like I said, there are times and places where calculators are out of the picture, when you want to calculate some values.

Anyways, this took me ten seconds:

• 0.0000024 has 5 leading zeros plus a significant digit, so it becomes 2.4 * 10^(-6)
  • 6'000'000'000 has 9 trailing zeros with no insignificant digits, so it becomes 6 * 10^9
  • so we have both the unit size, and the digit value
  • We add 9 to (-6), and we get 3
  • we then multiply 2.4 by 6 to get 14.4 (6 * 2 = 12; 6 * 4 = 24; 24 / 10 = 2.4; 12 + 2.4 = 14.4) 
  • So we get an answer of 14.4 * 10^3
  • which can be simplified to 1.44 * 10^4

This may look like a loaded answer, but trust me, it is not as difficult as it looks.

I get what you are saying, but I can't think of a single situation in my life where it would be easier or faster to do it the way you did it. I readily admit I hate math and am horrible at it. If I need to know the answer to such a problem, there's a 99% chance I will have a calculator.

I get what you are saying, but I can't think of a single situation in my life where it would be easier or faster to do it the way you did it. I readily admit I hate math and am horrible at it. If I need to know the answer to such a problem, there's a 99% chance I will have a calculator.

That's the basis for scientific notation though. What @Colonel_Gerdauf gave was a convoluted example. But even if you said 0.000000002 * 0.0000052, it's the same as 2E-9 * 5.2E-6. 2*5.2 = 10.4 obviously and you just add the exponents after. So its 10.4 E-15 or 1.04*10^-16. It's really simple.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

That's the basis for scientific notation though. What @Colonel_Gerdauf gave was a convoluted example. But even if you said 0.000000002 * 0.0000052, it's the same as 2E-9 * 5.2E-6. 2*5.2 = 10.4 obviously and you just add the exponents after. So its 10.4 E-15 or 1.04*10^-16. It's really simple.

I still don't see how it's simpler when you first have to convert the numbers into polynomials and then calculate, when you can just do the original equation with a calculator because as said before, if you need to do such a problem, your more than likely going to have a calculator, not to mention you'd probably double check the answer you got by hand with a calculator to ensure accuracy.

I still don't see how it's simpler when you first have to convert the numbers into polynomials and then calculate, when you can just do the original equation with a calculator because as said before, if you need to do such a problem, your more than likely going to have a calculator, not to mention you'd probably double check the answer you got by hand with a calculator to ensure accuracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_problem

That's the main reason why. It allows you to make quicker judgements on outcomes rather than inputting the actual values into calculators which is actually more time consuming. (Trust me I just had a physics midterm. That shit's intense).

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Even when you hate a subject, it does not hurt to try the best you can instead of brushing it off as unimportant.

I've said this already, calculators are not a crutch item. For example, when you want to evaluate the limit of one number (x) in respect to another (n), calculators are not going to help you. Reliance of a calculator then becomes your personal cobra effect; the attempt to save time in work ends up consuming more time than necessary (or even acceptable). And this is just scratching the surface when it comes to calculus.

And let me throw you another example: would you rather calculate 3*4 on a calculator, or on your mind? You would prefer mind, because you have full experience on the technique, and as a result it looks simple to you. This is no different; with enough training, you can train yourself past the challenges of a problem, and it becomes easier and easier over time.

For me, calculators are restricted from use, with the exception of trigonometry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_problem

That's the main reason why.

And when would you actually need to use such a thing in the course of your life? I generally use math when I need accuracy, not an approximation. To me, it all just seems like over complicating a simpler way of doing things. to me, .00000.24 * .000000058 is easier and simpler than converting into polynomials or scientific notation. I just don't see how it is advantageous to do so unless you are handling ridiculously large numbers like the distances between galaxies or something

Even when you hate a subject, it does not hurt to try the best you can instead of brushing it off as unimportant.

I've said this already, calculators are not a crutch item. For example, when you want to evaluate the limit of one number (x) in respect to another (n), calculators are not going to help you. Reliance of a calculator then becomes your personal cobra effect; the attempt to save time in work ends up consuming more time than necessary (or even acceptable). And this is just scratching the surface when it comes to calculus.

And let me throw you another example: would you rather calculate 3*4 on a calculator, or on your mind? You would prefer mind, because you have full experience on the technique, and as a result it looks simple to you. This is no different; with enough training, you can train yourself past the challenges of a problem, and it becomes easier and easier over time.

For me, calculators are restricted from use, with the exception of trigonometry.

I completely understand that, I am making the best effort I can, but I still see it as overcomplicated, that's my issue (not to mention pointless for most things). Some of the math has been quite refreshing, whereas some of it just seems to not make any sense, and be completely worthless (I need context in how I am going to use something, not just numbers on paper with no meaning other than being numbers)

Oh my god, you just reminded me of my previous lecture with Riemann sums :(

It doesn't work that well, it can barely solve pre/algebra problems. Would be better if it could find zero's or solve graphs or automatically draw graphs.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

And when would you actually need to use such a thing in the course of your life? I generally use math when I need accuracy, not an approximation. To me, it all just seems like over complicating a simpler way of doing things. to me, .00000.24 * .000000058 is easier and simpler than converting into polynomials or scientific notation. I just don't see how it is advantageous to do so unless you are handling ridiculously large numbers like the distances between galaxies or something

God, no offense but you sound like the kids back in my grade 10 class saying "what's the point of 5c5f0ca6d73083c559dcafd98945ec63.png. I'm never going to need to solve quadratics in my life. Just use my graphing calculator for that." If math were to be applied to real life, all you would need is addition, and multiplication. 

Oh my god, you just reminded me of my previous lecture with Riemann sums :(

The integration of normal distribution... yep! I studied this in my HS statistics class. :P

The integration of normal distribution... yep! I studied this in my HS statistics class. :P

Nah we're just learning definite integrals in Calculus I right now and so we have to use Riemann sums. For the whole lecture I was like "What the fuck is this :("

FOR ANDROID USERS: the equivalent of this app is called MathHero, free in the Play store

thank me later

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!