Windows 8.1 is defragging my SSD in the background?

ItsDenn
Go to solution Solved by ItsDenn,

If anyone is having the same issue I found this site: http://www.outsidethebox.ms/why-windows-8-defragments-your-ssd-and-how-you-can-avoid-this/ 

And using the method described it finally wont defrag my drive but just run retrim when pc is idle. 

I have a sandisk 120 gb ultra II ssd for a few days now and I tunred off automatic drive defragmentation but when I wanted to defrag my hdd today I noticed windows saying that I it has defragged my ssd without my knowledge. 
Now after running the "Get-EventLog -LogName Application -Source "microsoft-windows-defrag" | sort timegenerated -desc | fl timegenerated, message" command in powershell I noticed it saying the same thing.

llwul6gmlgqnda2fg.jpg

3wsvcc05pvwht3hfg.jpg

Is this something I should be worried about? Or does it simply say defrag but its actually just optimizing it in a way that is acceptable for an SSD?

EDIT: http://www.outsidethebox.ms/why-wind...an-avoid-this/ this helped me and the first picture shows now that my pc is only running retrim

not surprising tbh. windows has a scheduled defrag by default, if you didnt disable it, its gonna do it.

you should probably disable that.  dont defrag an ssd

EDIT: @ItsDenn also, welcome to the forums, dont forget to follow your topics so you know when people reply to them

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Well I disabled my automatic scheduling but that resulted In windows doing it by itself, so what I did now is turn it on but excluding my c drive I hope that will work out just fine. I have read on other sites that when windows says it defragged an ssd they mean optimized and actually run TRIM commands, but I personally doubt that that is the cause because the powershell screenshot I made shows that my pc ran TRIM commands AND defrag commands on my ssd. I hope turning the automatic scheduling on and excluding my ssd fixes the problem. 

@Tsuki Thank you for replying and welcoming me to the forum! :) I will follow your advice. 

EDIT: I researched some more and found out that Norton Internet Security has a defragmentation program that runs on the boot volume. For those interested, the exact setting is: Idle Time Optimizer.

My dad insisted in using norton because he used to do it when he was using windows pc's years back but I doubt that norton is really worth paying for.

EDIT: I researched some more and found out that Norton Internet Security has a defragmentation program that runs on the boot volume. For those interested, the exact setting is: Idle Time Optimizer.

My dad insisted in using norton because he used to do it when he was using windows pc's years back but I doubt that norton is really worth paying for.

norton has gotten better in the past few years, but i personally still think its trash. and i dont believe any antivirus is worth paying for(at least for a home computer) something like avg or avast will be a lot better.  and if he was using norton years back, he really should know better than to be using it now.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.