Razer Chroma vs Corsair K70

First off, don't dismiss this as one of the several forum topics out there already. I need to compare these two keyboards based on some of my own personal preferences before I make a decision on which one to buy. I decided that I wanted a RGB keyboard because I think it would be useful for gaming in the dark. Normally, I would go with Corsair based off brand name but there are some things the Chroma seems to have that I like better. First off, the macro keys seem extremely useful to me. I like macro keys in games and find a need for them but the K70 doesn't have that. The other factor is the switches. I am not quite sure what sort of switches Razer uses but I liked the feeling of my friend's BlackWidow Ultimate. He had an old version (backlit by blue LEDs) and I personally loved that clicky tactile sound it made. I vaguely recall he said they were Cherry MX Blues. However, I'm not quite sure what the Chroma uses for its switches. I personally love the clicky sound that his BlackWidow Ultimate made but I'm not sure if that is the case for the Chroma. So I think the question is which of the two keyboards have a more clicky and tactile feedback? I think the switches plays the biggest role in which keyboard I will go for. And finally, pros and cons of each keyboard would be appreciated so I can determine if the lack of macro keys and clicky switches still make the K70 a viable option for me. 

The Chroma doesnt even use proper Cherry MX switches. They use "razer" switches.

And Linus himself said that the colour transitioning was smoother on the corsair RGB than the chroma.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The clickyness is all up to the switch you are using.

The Chroma comes with 2 different types of switches (I think). Razer green (= cherry mx Blue) and Razer orange (= Cherry mx browns).

Now, since you liked the clickyness I guess you're referring to the Blue(razer green) switches).

The corsair keyboard comes with 3 different switches. MX Red, MX Brown & MX Blue but I think you'll want the blue switches.

So both will provide the switch you want.
Personally I'd go for corsair instead of Razer. Razer is, imo, quite overpriced since they're still using the same prices while they've got cheaper switches now (chinese 'rip-off' switches). And overall I like the looks of the K70 much more. 

First off, don't dismiss this as one of the several forum topics out there already. I need to compare these two keyboards based on some of my own personal preferences before I make a decision on which one to buy. I decided that I wanted a RGB keyboard because I think it would be useful for gaming in the dark. Normally, I would go with Corsair based off brand name but there are some things the Chroma seems to have that I like better. First off, the macro keys seem extremely useful to me. I like macro keys in games and find a need for them but the K70 doesn't have that. The other factor is the switches. I am not quite sure what sort of switches Razer uses but I liked the feeling of my friend's BlackWidow Ultimate. He had an old version (backlit by blue LEDs) and I personally loved that clicky tactile sound it made. I vaguely recall he said they were Cherry MX Blues. However, I'm not quite sure what the Chroma uses for its switches. I personally love the clicky sound that his BlackWidow Ultimate made but I'm not sure if that is the case for the Chroma. So I think the question is which of the two keyboards have a more clicky and tactile feedback? I think the switches plays the biggest role in which keyboard I will go for. And finally, pros and cons of each keyboard would be appreciated so I can determine if the lack of macro keys and clicky switches still make the K70 a viable option for me. 

The old black widow used mx blue switches. The new one uses razer switches which are NOT cherry mx. The k95 rgb would be your best but. Mx blues and it has 3 profiles for 18 macros for 54 macros per profile. 

If you like clicky switches and macro keys, I suggest the Corsair K95 with Cherry MX blue switches, it will be $20 more though. I like my Corsair K70 RGB because of its metal construction, LED design (on the board instead of on the switch), uses Cherry MX switches, and a dedicated volume roller.

Razer has moved on to using their own copies of the Cherry MX switches. One thing the Chroma has over the Corsair RGB keyboards is a USB passthrough. Also, I believe Linus mentioned that the software is easier to get started on the Razer than the Corsair.

CPU: Intel 4790k Cooler: Corsair h100i Mobo: ASUS Z97-A RAM: Corsair 16GB Vengeance 1866 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Storage: Crucial mx100 512GB & x3 2TB HDDs Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl PSU: Seasonic SSR-650RM Monitors: Acer XB271HU and Asus VG236 Keyboard: Corsair Gaming k70 RGB Mouse: Cyborg RAT 7 Headset: Sennheiser 558 + Antlion ModMic 4.0 Speakers: Harmon Kardon Soundsticks

If dedicated Macro keys are really that important, get the K95 RGB, but if you dont mind remapping keys, then get the K70. from the sound of it you will enjoy the Cherry MX blue switches.

Well another factor that seems to arise is that Corsair's software (at least from k90 rgb reviews) is that it's horrid and screws with the lighting sometimes. So if I do upgrade to the k90 would the software just make it not worth it?

Well another factor that seems to arise is that Corsair's software (at least from k90 rgb reviews) is that it's horrid and screws with the lighting sometimes. So if I do upgrade to the k90 would the software just make it not worth it?

no, i would personally rather use the corsair software than the razer software because it is so much more functional.

• 2 weeks later...

Corsair's have a KNOWN issue with LED's dying with a few weeks, to only a few months.

Tons of people have had to RMA them several times only to have more LED's die on them again and again.

Don't buy Corsair.

Corsair is in denial about the issue and will force YOU to pay for the shipping to return their defective keyboards.

the new RGB keyboards are also having a ton of issues also.

corsair  boards are fugly, software although has potential not the greatest right now. and more then likely the quality of the razer switches compared to the cherry switches is close, plus if a switch breaks razer is usually good about that stuff

Corsair's have a KNOWN issue with LED's dying with a few weeks, to only a few months.

Tons of people have had to RMA them several times only to have more LED's die on them again and again.

Don't buy Corsair.

Corsair is in denial about the issue and will force YOU to pay for the shipping to return their defective keyboards.

That is with the older ones not the Gaming series

The Chroma doesnt even use proper Cherry MX switches. They use "razer" switches.

And Linus himself said that the colour transitioning was smoother on the corsair RGB than the chroma.

The Razer has a way better fading transitions thought. However the Razer switches aren't as big a deal as people make them out to be. Of course Cherrys are better but the Razer ones aren't "bad"

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

Don't buy Corsair.

Issues like what?

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

The Razer has a way better fading transitions thought. However the Razer switches aren't as big a deal as people make them out to be. Of course Cherrys are better but the Razer ones aren't "bad"

Linus compared the corsair RGB and razer chroma and HE SAID the RGB has a lot smoother colour transitions.

I would trust what linus says because he has had both side by side to compare them.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Linus compared the corsair RGB and razer chroma and HE SAID the RGB has a lot smoother colour transitions.

I would trust what linus says because he has had both side by side to compare them.

I have seen videos myself, of the the colors fading in and out and the Razer is smoother from I have seen. I'm not talking about spectrums, just fading. I'm not talking down the Corsair as I am getting the rgb blue K70. But you guys are giving the Razer one way too much crap

Current 

I have seen videos myself, of the the colors fading in and out and the Razer is smoother from I have seen. I'm not talking about spectrums, just fading. I'm not talking down the Corsair as I am getting the rgb blue K70. But you guys are giving the Razer one way too much crap

You cant tell what it looks like irl from videos because videos have a static framerate while the LEDs are running on PWM so unless both keyboards are in the same video at the same time being recorded by the same camera and the pulses to the LEDs are synchronized you wont get an accurate look at the colour transitions. This is why you need to see both irl to really know what it looks like.

Spoiler

You cant tell what it looks like irl from videos because videos have a static framerate while the LEDs are running on PWM so unless both keyboards are in the same video at the same time being recorded by the same camera and the pulses to the LEDs are synchronized you wont get an accurate look at the colour transitions. This is why you need to see both irl to really know what it looks like.

Omg. In videos, people actually have the keyboards in their hands to review right? They say, the Razers fading effect is smoother than the corsairs! Every video showing it shows the Corsair a bit laggier. However, the corsairs spectrums is better and the Corsair has way more customization like upcoming Lua coding for Led.

Current 

Omg. In videos, people actually have the keyboards in their hands to review right? They say, the Razers fading effect is smoother than the corsairs! Every video showing it shows the Corsair a bit laggier. However, the corsairs spectrums is better and the Corsair has way more customization like upcoming Lua coding for Led.

I would trust linus more than these "keyboard reviewers" you speak of...

And no you cant judge the fading by what you see in a video. Have you see the LED flickering in linus adds at the start of the video? Thats the issue with recording PWM LEDs with a camera. Obviously you dont see this IRL. Same thing with colour transitions, what you see in a video has nothing to do with irl.

Spoiler

I would trust linus more than these "keyboard reviewers" you speak of...

And no you cant judge the fading by what you see in a video. Have you see the LED flickering in linus adds at the start of the video? Thats the issue with recording PWM LEDs with a camera. Obviously you dont see this IRL. Same thing with colour transitions, what you see in a video has nothing to do with irl.

I can judge by what they said. They said that the Razer is smoother. And if it was the camera, why did the camera make the Corsair one laggy as you say but the Razer smooth. You are just afraid of knowing that razer is doing good. I know the because it happens to me. You just have to accept that it isn't just a camera error. It is real life. My friend has a razer and it isn't bad. I like it to the point where I would be happy to use it and I know you would too. The However all of my points can be corrected by software updates and only time will tell... For now, I love the Corsair and I am getting it. Despite the Razer leds being Brighter, I am still stuck getting corsair because I am a loyal corsair fan and I can trust them to make high quality products and great prices something i can't say about Razer.

Current 

I can judge by what they said. They said that the Razer is smoother. And if it was the camera, why did the camera make the Corsair one laggy as you say but the Razer smooth. You are just afraid of knowing that razer is doing good. I know the because it happens to me. You just have to accept that it isn't just a camera error. It is real life. My friend has a razer and it isn't bad. I like it to the point where I would be happy to use it and I know you would too. The However all of my points can be corrected by software updates and only time will tell... For now, I love the Corsair and I am getting it. Despite the Razer leds being Brighter, I am still stuck getting corsair because I am a loyal corsair fan and I can trust them to make high quality products and great prices something i can't say about Razer.

No actually you are wrong. I wouldnt want an RGB keyboard at all.

Spoiler

No actually you are wrong. I wouldnt want an RGB keyboard at all.

I never said you did.

Current 

I never said you did.

Go argue with linus, its not my problem if you believe the wrong information from online reviews.

Spoiler

There's way more then just that, Corsair has been deleting threads and merging others because the forum was literately coated with complaints

and this has been going on since day 1.

Many people are on their third and forth RMA'd keyboard, many of them were forced to pay for the return shipping because Corsair refuses to pay it unless you hound them.

The RGB keyboards are starting to get the complaints flooding in about issues with them also.

There's way more then just that, Corsair has been deleting threads and merging others because the forum was literately coated with complaints

and this has been going on since day 1.

Many people are on their third and forth RMA'd keyboard, many of them were forced to pay for the return shipping because Corsair refuses to pay it unless you hound them.

The RGB keyboards are starting to get the complaints flooding in about issues with them also.

Corsair rushed this release like Linus said, the keyboards arent perfect, and with time, they will be better, software will be better, and QC will be better.

Current